Independent Contractor2015 - PRESENTSelf-employed
- Developed web-based applications for a select group of clients, all hosted on AWS.
- Wrote user interfaces in Angular and React.
- Created custom data visualizations with HTML canvas.
- Developed application servers implemented in Python via the Falcon framework.
- Created back ends implemented as Docker containers hosted on EC2. Later moved on to hosting the applications entirely in AWS Lambda (via Zappa/Serverless Python) with interfaces through API Gateway/CloudFront.
- Wrote custom network services in Go—scalable to 50,000+ client connections on a single node.
Senior Engineer2002 - 2015Tripwire
Technologies: C, C#, Python, SQL Server
- Wrote the initial versions of and then continued to direct the design of two major products: Configuration Compliance Manager and Security Intelligence Hub. Configuration Compliance Manager is a network-based agentless host auditing system written in C# and C, and Security Intelligence Hub is a web-based reporting/management portal for several nCircle products, implemented using Perl on the middle-tier with Adobe Flex for the user interface.
- Started Configuration Compliance Manager as a Windows-only desktop app. Then later rewrote the back-end to run as two separate Windows services (a management server and a scan engine), then later ported the scan engine service to run on Linux as well with mono, and then ported it again to run on Windows Embedded Standard.
- Authored or participated in the development of network scan modules for the Configuration Compliance Manager which were capable of scanning Windows, various Linux and Unix flavors, various Cisco devices, i5/OS, VMware, web servers, SQL databases, and several other platforms and software suites, as well as integrations with many other security products.
- Wrote many tools and libraries from scratch, which were not available for the .NET framework at the time, such as a log framework and an O/R mapper and SQL query generator.
- Set up all the infrastructure for projects such as automated build scripts, installation systems, and unit testing frameworks.
- Implemented the OVAL 6.0 specification in C#, then wrote an entire SCAP scanner in Python (including validated 100% correct implementations of OVAL, XCCDF, ARF, and so on) and a unit test suite with 100% code coverage.
Software Engineer2001 - 2002Tourtellotte Consulting
Technologies: Perl, Java, Oracle
- Improved and implemented fixes to the main platform which included modifying the Oracle schema and queries, and fixing bugs in or replacing existing Perl modules.
- Rewrote a legacy IVR (interactive voice response) system in Java which was originally implemented with T-REXX.
- Implemented several side projects in Perl on Oracle to automate various processes at the client which were previously done by hand with spreadsheets.
Software Engineer2000 - 2001Sonicity, Inc.
- Wrote and maintained monitoring-and-management applications for the Sonicity multicast router.
- Implemented user interfaces both in Win32/MFC and the web using custom ActiveX controls for video streaming and real-time network load graphing.
- Fixed bugs in and maintained internal networking libraries written in C++.