Lead Architect and Team Lead2011 - PRESENTNew Media Labs
- Help develop the Nedgroup Investments secure investor website using ASP.NET MVC 3.
- Guide the Logimeter team in building a new single-page app style web portal using AngularJS.
- Help develop Sparrow Communicator, a Xamarin-based iOS application meant for use by parents to keep track of their kids' busy school schedules.
- Architect an EDA (Event Driven Architecture) style system, using NServiceBus and Azure Service Bus and ensuring it is scalable enough to handle millions of messages per day.
- Start various initiatives at New Media Labs, like conducting one-on-one feedback sessions, spearheading an innovation program, and ensuring teams adhere to good practices like continuous integration and automated testing.
- Act as technical team lead for a team of 5 developers.
Team lead2010 - 2011Fin24.com
Technologies: ASP.NET Web Forms, SQL Server 2008, Spring.Net, Dundas charts, NAnt, CruiseControl, MSBuild, NUnit, SVN
- Extended a public-facing news website and ensured that it did not experience any down-time during deployments.
- Ensured that the website could handle a large number of requests during peak times (especially during certain times of the year).
- Added rich financial charting using Dundas web charts.
- Led a team of 2 developers using the Scrum methodology.
Senior Developer2005 - 2009Silverminute/Bytes (acquired 2007)
Technologies: .NET, C#, WPF, Axapta, SQL Server, Cruise Control, MS Test, NUnit, NAnt, SVN
- Implemented an SOA-style services layer at Pam Golding, a South African estate agency specializing in high-end properties.
- Built an interactive WPF prototype to help sell the concept for a power plant-specific staff management application.
- Developed Cradle, a pregnancy tracking application using Windows Forms for the local government.
- Acted as deployment manager for the new smart-card system used by the State of Victoria in Australia.
- Built a WPF application framework for use by developers at Lonmin Platinum, to help them develop their own business-specific applications faster.
Developer2005 - 2005Saratoga
Technologies: .NET, C#, Windows Forms, SOAP web services, Microsoft Money, SVN
- Integrated with Microsoft Money via its API.
- Helped develop ActNow, a staff-management application for the tech support industry.
- Built a Windows Forms product, styling it as much as possible to stand out from the crowd (a difficult feat with Windows Forms).
Developer2003 - 2005Microgen/AFA Systems (acquired 2004)
Technologies: .NET, C#, VB.NET, VB6, ASP.NET Web Forms, TFS.
- Designed the web-based version of Common Knowledge, a knowledge management system, using ASP.NET Web Forms.
- Built an XML-based query engine used to query the Common Knowledge database.
- Adopted unit testing, a first for the company at that time.
- Maintained and extended the existing version of Common Knowledge, a VB6 application.
Junior Developer2002 - 2003Delos/Software Futures (acquired 2002)
Technologies: VB.NET, ASP.NET, Classic ASP, SQL Server 2000
- Extended the Kalahari.net eCommerce website using Classic ASP.
- Extended in-house applications for Delos using ASP.NET Web Forms (still very new at that stage).
Junior Developer2002 - 2002Hawaii Clothing
Technologies: Java, Swing GUI, ODBC
- Built a garment manufacturing database system using Java and Swing.
- Acted as a line manager half of the time to learn how garments are really made.