Senior Devops Engineer
2014 - 2014
- Built orchestration as a component in OpenStack, written in Python with Django. Connected to many servers at once over SSH to control their boot processes.
- Maintained Chef recipes describing the platform, including writing, refactoring, and release management.
- Devised a release process and Git branching model for the group.
- Built and managed a work network, including Linux-based firewall with dual simultaneous uplinks to separate providers.
- Managed Monit installation and distributed monitoring setup.
Technologies: AWS, S3, Ubuntu Linux, OpenStack, Django, Chef, Python, Ruby, Cassandra, MongoDB, Kafka, ZooKeeper, Monit, Ganglia
Sysadmin, Senior Sysadmin, IT Architect
2000 - 2013
- Supported users on 2000+ Solaris workstations worldwide, including creating a variety of tools in shell scripting languages for administration.
- Built an internal virtualization platform based on Cisco UCS servers, SAN, and VMWare.
- Created a cross-platform web-based firewall-piercing remote desktop solution based on VMWare and VNC. Developed the first iteration in Perl and the second in Node.js.
- Built a VNC session manager in Perl that connected to servers over SSH and created virtual desktops with a choice of desktop environment.
- Built an embedded Linux thin client image allowing cheap PCs with no fans to be used as terminals upon insertion of a USB dongle.
- Co-wrote a web app allowing concurrent multi-user editing of notes and metadata, based on ShareJS, jQuery, and HTML5/CSS. Extended ShareJS to enable presence notifications.
- Built tools and an API in CoffeeScript with Promises/A to data-mine a Lithium social platform over REST in a highly parallel manner.