Verified Expert in Engineering
Deep Learning Developer
Xavier is a lead machine learning engineer with nine years of experience in software engineering and machine learning. He is currently managing an applied research team responsible for developing and successfully releasing state-of-the-art deep learning products into hospitals worldwide, with research specializations in natural language processing (NLP) and computer vision.
Linux, PyTorch, Python, Amazon Web Services (AWS)
The most amazing...
...thing I've released is Annalise CXR, a computer vision chest X-ray decision support product deployed internationally, processing millions of cases a year.
Lead Applied AI Scientist
- Led the machine learning (ML) team that delivered a state-of-the-art, novel chest X-ray deep learning model to hospitals around the globe.
- Made core contributions along the entire machine learning stack from data labeling, pre-processing, migration, anonymization, training, experimentation, and deployment.
- Hired and trained team members and led projects from ideation to successful product delivery.
- Published clinical and ML research in top-tier medical journals such as Lancet Digital Health.
Senior Data Scientist
- Founded a team for a commercialized and productions machine learning API platform, initially as the sole machine learning expert on the team.
- Oversaw both machine learning stack—CV and NLP deep learning models, and traditional ML—and end-to-end productionization, including automated testing, API endpoint management, and efficiency.
- Helped grow and scale the team from 5-15 members and the product from zero to over two million paid requests per month; helped secure funding of several million dollars.
BCG Digital Ventures
- Developed and scaled machine learning startups for large commercial partners.
- Collaborated with the leadership team to coordinate hiring and growth of the machine learning team.
- Received the highest band in the annual performance review as one of only 5% of employees globally.
Annalise Enterprise CXRhttps://annalise.ai/solutions/annalise-cxr/
I helped develop our initial machine learning (ML) models and led our latest release's continued iteration and deployment. I iterated upon our ML strategy, ran and documented extensive experimentation using state-of-the-art and novel techniques, liaised with product and clinical leads, and deployed and tested our healthcare AI in production.
Sypht Document Extraction
Python, SQL, R
PyTorch, TensorFlow, Dask, SpaCy
Data Science, Scrum, Agile
Amazon Web Services (AWS), Docker, Kubernetes, Linux
Deep Learning, Machine Learning, Computer Vision, Natural Language Processing (NLP), OCR, Pytesseract, Image Recognition, GPT, Generative Pre-trained Transformers (GPT), Artificial Intelligence (AI), DICOM, Statistics, Engineering, APIs
Master of Research with Distinction in Computer Science
Macquarie University - Sydney, NSW, Australia
Bachelor of Science (First Class Honors) Degree in Mathematics and Computer Science
University of Sydney - Sydney, NSW, Australia
Certified Scrum Master
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring