Senior Software Engineer, Founding2017 - 2020RideOS
Technologies: OpenStreetMap API, GIS, BigQuery, Google Cloud Spanner, gRPC, Google Kubernetes Engine (GKE), Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Kubernetes, Java
- Led the development of Java, Bazel, gRPC back end as tech lead from prototype to production service. Wrote core state machine and database layer code to take the product from a one-month prototype to the company's best selling product.
- Led the effort to achieve three-nines reliability on an API back end, using Helm and Kubernetes for deployment, and Stackdriver and Site24x7 monitoring configured through Terraform.
- Ensured a high level of scalability by migrating service to horizontally scalable, distributed systems including Cloud Spanner and BigQuery, resulting in a performant API layer that was able to scale along with the company's growth.
- Pushed our integrations with autonomous vehicles companies forward, by jumping in to write on-vehicle ROS code to integrate our APIs, with local map matching performed on the vehicle.
Senior Software Engineer and Tech Lead2014 - 2017Google (Nest)
Technologies: Android, H.265, H.264, FFmpeg, Scala, Go, Linux, C, C++
- Shipped two 4k cloud-connected cameras as tech lead on the camera video stack. Wrote core bitrate control and networking code to enable reliable, 24/7 live streaming of 4k video over limited bandwidth connections.
- Enabled smooth, low-latency playback experience for our mobile clients through a real-time cloud transcoding service. Using Go and Cgo, developed a reliable and scalable video and audio transcoding service that helped support millions of customers.
- Developed Linux firmware in C and C++ for our camera products. Enabled better on-device perception with optimized CV algorithms, developed low-latency playback module using ALSA, and worked extensively with threading and coroutines.