Verified Expert in Engineering
Since 2015, Yiğit has been developing apps with Ruby on Rails and working with Haskell and functional programming. An open-source enthusiast, he's developed his own programming language as part of his bachelor thesis and maintained a Haskell client for the DigitalOcean API. As an ex-Googler and SRE, Yiğit is known for his focus on the availability and reliability of the services he owns. Yiğit is also not new to the remote working scene, communicates extremely well, and loves TDD.
Ruby on Rails API, TypeScript, React, PostgreSQL, Google Cloud, Heroku, Site Reliability Engineering (SRE)
The most amazing...
...thing I've worked on was leading the migration of production rollouts of a critical service in Google Cloud that was receiving +35M requests per second.
Senior Software Engineer
- Led the effort to migrate the observability stack of the whole payments platform to Prometheus and Grafana. This included alerts, graphs, and SLOs.
- Built the 3DS support for credit card payment apps on Shopify along with two other colleagues.
- Led the backfill and dark launch phases of a major internal project for migrating critical payment app data between internal databases.
Site Reliability Engineer
- Held the position of an SRE for Google Cloud Service Infrastructure.
- Managed a rollout infrastructure migration with zero downtime for a service that receives more than 40 million queries per second.
- Led an internal team of four people as a part of my role.
- Implemented a new license manager service that would help both DevOps and support for managing client licenses.
- Created a new attack module called scenario attacks that play between two node machines and performs, step by step, a series of vulnerability exploitations.
- Applied new messaging protocols for a multithreaded "engine" environment.
- Migrated a codebase from an old SQLite library to a new one by using Haskell's type safety.
- Co-created a Go library that has both client and server sides and can simulate a data exfiltration attack in the process of a scenario attack. Also integrated this Go library to our Haskell codebase and Nix architecture.
- Split our existing Jenkins end-to-end test suite into parts.
- Defined the dependencies in these separate parts and made it possible to have separate reports for each part of the end-to-end suite.
- Applied Nix's caching mechanism to optimize evaluation time for the suites.
- Created a token authentication mechanism solely for DevOps.
- Implemented a series of API endpoints for the DevOps team to help them automate their workflows.
- Designed a new subscription flow using finite automata modeling.
- Developed a customer management system for the support team using Coffee.js. The application is modeled as a tree and could be expanded to see the details.
- Integrated new data analytics using Amazon SNS and SQS for messaging, Firehose for the data flow, and Redshift as the database platform.
- Implemented new features with Ruby on Rails, a service object with a TDD principle with +96% test coverage.
- Created new libraries using Plain Old Ruby Objects (PORO) and introduced new abstractions using Ruby's metaprogramming features.
- Maintained a Laravel back-end application, as well as the front-end.
- Created monitoring systems to constantly check up on the availability of our systems.
- Built various microservices including the ones for data integration and mail notifications.
- Discovered, with a team, a vulnerability and subsequently improved the security of the system by applying penetration testing for the continuous assessment of vulnerabilities.
- Created multiple services using service objects, including services for our Slack and MailChimp integrations.
The language utilizes the "Ethereum Yellow Paper" to act on the virtual machine.
DigitalOcean Haskell Clienthttps://github.com/inzva/DOH
Glow: A Toy Programming Language Written for LLVMhttps://github.com/yigitozkavci/glow
Haskell Client for Hurriyet APIhttps://github.com/yigitozkavci/hurriyet-haskell
Hoogle-It: A Chrome Extension for Haskell Documentation in the Browserhttps://github.com/yigitozkavci/hoogle-it
Tetrelm: A Tetris Game in the Browser Written in Elmhttps://github.com/yigitozkavci/tetrelm
Type-Level Dijkstra's Shortest Pathhttps://github.com/yigitozkavci/typelevel-dijkstra-sp
I've used Ruby on Rails and SwiftUI for the back end and front end respectively. The back end is hosted on Heroku.
Ruby on Rails (RoR), Ruby on Rails 5, Laravel 5, NestJS, Laravel, Hydra, Django, Express.js
React, Ruby on Rails API, Twitter API, Facebook Open Graph API, Foursquare API
Jenkins, BigQuery, Google Cloud Console
Object-oriented Programming (OOP), Functional Programming, Concurrent Programming, Design for Failure
Linux, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Docker, Unix, Heroku, iOS
PostgreSQL, MySQL, SQLite, Google Cloud SQL, Google Cloud
Source Control Management, NixOS, Site Reliability Engineering (SRE), Systems Monitoring, Distributed Systems, Infrastructure, Fault Tolerance
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Engineering
Boğaziçi University - Istanbul, Turkey
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring