Yizhe (Nick) Wen
Verified Expert in Engineering
Nick is an experienced machine learning (ML) and back-end engineer. He has over three years of experience building highly scalable natural language processing (NLP) solutions. Nick is familiar with search-related technology and modern NLP implementation. He is also familiar with current machine learning operations (MLOps) and DevOps processes, and software engineering practices. Nick prides himself in translating product requirements into high-quality tech design.
Linux, Visual Studio Code (VS Code), Python
The most amazing...
...thing I've built is an end-to-end search engine solution from the ground up.
Artificial Intelligence Engineer
Royal Bank of Canada
- Architected and developed a search engine for a prospect/entity searching app. Reduced the original search latency by five times. Simplified the search logic to a unified API, using Elasticsearch, NLP, and Flask.
- Built ETL pipelines to integrate the data from vendors. Developed directed acyclic graphs (DAG) and tailored operators to support timely data integration and monitoring. Reduced the DAG development effort, using Apache Airflow and Amazon S3 (AWS S3).
- Developed an asynchronous RESTful APIs back end for a transaction monitoring web app in Python. Used FastAPI, SQLAlchemy, MariaDB, JSON web tokens (JWT), and PyTest.
Machine Learning (ML) Researcher
- Researched state-of-the-art academic papers regarding natural language generation (NLG) and prototyped multiple transformer-based seq2seq language models. Used BERT and Google publisher tag (GPT) for text summarization.
- Designed two automatic NLG evaluation metrics. Integrated various NLP tasks (question answering, semantic similarity, constituency parsing, etc.). Reduced manual labeling cost by 90%.
- Developed APIs for text summarization prototypes and containerized models in Docker. Deployed the prototypes on Amazon EC2 (Amazon Elastic Computer Cloud). Provided endpoints to the software team for testing.
eCommerce Search Engine
Natural Language Generation (NLG): Text Summarization
Anti-money Laundering and KYC Tool for a Bank
Machine Learning, Natural Language Processing (NLP), Development, Big Data, GPT, Generative Pre-trained Transformers (GPT), Deep Learning, Statistics
Apache Airflow, Celery
Linux, Visual Studio Code (VS Code), Amazon Web Services (AWS)
PyTorch, TensorFlow, Scikit-learn
Master's Degree in Artificial Intelligence
Western University - London, ON, Canada
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring