Verified Expert in Engineering
Youssef is persistent and adapts to new environments quickly. As proof, he graduated with a master's degree in electrical and computer engineering from a number two university in Canada without having a bachelor's in this area. He built the most known (at its time in its language) open-source TTS without prior experience in the TTS field. Youssef specializes in back-end services and front-end web applications. He values simplicity and efficiency and writes super-readable and maintainable code.
Jira, Bitbucket, Slack, Lean, Agile, Teams, Visual Studio Code (VS Code), GitHub, MacOS, Chrome
The most amazing...
...software I've developed is an Arabic text-to-speech synthesizer, the most popular open-source Arabic TTS at that time.
- Began building features and fixing bugs in an existing codebase the first day after knowledge transfer.
- Created a library that removed the complexities of end-to-end tests and integrated end-to-end tests into the project.
- Developed new React Hooks to reduce the amount of duplicated code in the codebase.
- Developed and maintained a Go API with a PostgreSQL database.
Multiplayer Games Platform
- Developed a back-end service for multiplayer games with video calling capability between players.
- Reconfigured the Socket.IO connection so that the server still recognizes registered clients, even after a server crash.
- Integrated a Cloud Firestore database with an existing codebase.
- Refactored an existing codebase for a multiplayer gaming platform and decoupled and modularized the code.
- Scraped production-level websites to replicate them locally and performed updates on them.
- Implemented CSS changes on the fly, using the browser only where the code was not convenient for use.
- Adapted styles to a variety of screen sizes and different browser environments.
- Developed microservices for an Arabic text-to-speech (TTS) system based on Tacotron neural network architecture.
- Used Google Cloud Storage to store machine learning models and another GPU server in GCP for training.
- Developed a controller service deployed in Heroku. It turns on and off the GPU server to save money, communicates with the diacritizer, and interfaces with the front-end app.
- Dockerized the machine learning model training and speech synthesis workflow to work in almost any environment.
- Developed a crawler that sends log messages in semi-real time to the front end using Socket.IO. The crawler has options for filtering URLs and for maximum crawl depth.
- Crawled websites saved as a zipped archive in an S3 bucket; links to those files are kept in a MongoDB database.
- Used Angular on the front end to build the admin panel for monitoring crawls.
Auto Auction Company
- Developed an admin panel that managed cars for auctions, featuring a sophisticated image uploader/sorter and chips.
- Migrated from an old Python Flask API service to a Node.js service.
- Migrated third-party data to the system's MongoDB database.
- Built an admin panel with sophisticated client-side state management that enabled a manufacturing company's admins to create and monitor jobs and parts manufactured along with an employee management system.
- Developed a Node.js API service and handled the deployment of the admin panel and a MongoDB database.
- Showcased my UI components with Storybook and built unit tests to test the front- and back-end logic.
- Used the Hygen code generator to generate UI components and routes quickly.
Technical Team Lead
- Built a Node.js application that demonstrates an architecture for building Node.js back-end services using the command-query responsibility separation principle and event sourcing.
- Conducted code reviews for projects built in Angular.
- Added features and fixed bugs for a web portal used to administer managed cloud hosting on AWS and Microsoft Azure.
- Received recognition as the best team by a client who had previously dealt with failing technical teams.
- Built new features and maintained an enterprise project while practicing Scrum with other developers.
- Migrated AngularJS components to Angular for a web portal and added unit tests.
- Assessed and interviewed senior and junior developers in the hiring process.
- Designed and developed a platform concerned with online buying, selling, and bidding services.
- Developed and maintained an enterprise solution for which I built Angular components.
- Migrated and optimized the build and bundling process for an enterprise solution that consisted of three Angular apps.
- Developed the back end and the admin panel for a quiz platform that featured quizzes for employees at Merck, a multinational pharmaceutical company.
- Developed an admin panel that featured real-time notifications.
- Built layered authorization access layers for the admin panel.
- Wrote multilayered MongoDB aggregate queries and sophisticated MongoDB queries to increase query speed.
- Maintained and fixed bugs for an admin panel that lets users manage their laundry and dry-cleaning accounts.
- Developed a fully functional and responsive admin panel using AngularJS.
- Learned and applied a variety of technologies in a short time.
Project CldGt (Confidential)
Ask.fm Web Automation Tool and Chrome Extensionhttps://github.com/youssefsharief/ask.fm-automater
This tool is also a Chrome extension that calls a database to check the status of Ask.fm users when visiting their Ask.fm profile page. I used React for the UI and tools like Chrome Extension Hot Reloader for a better developer experience.
This tool acts like a scraper that scrapes users and saves users that fit a specific criterion in a database. It was built with jsdom, InversifyJS, and Requests, and it uses various 3rd-party APIs to help analyze the data:
Arabic Tacotron TTShttps://github.com/youssefsharief/arabic-tacotron-tts
Audio Samples: https://youssefsharief.github.io/arabic-tacotron-tts
1. An Angular app deployed on Zeit.
2. A synthesizer deployed on a server that has a GPU in Google Cloud Platform (GCP).
3. An Arabic diacritizer deployed on Heroku.
4. A controller deployed in Heroku that turns on and off the GPU server, communicates with the diacritizer, and interfaces with the front-end app.
I also used Google Cloud Storage to store machine learning models and another GPU server in GCP for training.
Blood Donation Real-time Maphttps://github.com/youssefsharief/blood-donation-real-time-map
Infer Commit Type
Medical Data DApphttps://github.com/youssefsharief/medical_data_dapp
React YouTube Coursehttps://github.com/youssefsharief/academy-react-app
JS Static Analyzershttps://github.com/youssefsharief/bug-dataset
Jasmine, Jest, Express.js, Angular, Redux, Cypress, Flask, Bootstrap, Chrome, Angular Material, Swagger, OAuth 2, AngularJS, Tailwind CSS, .NET, Material UI
React Redux, REST APIs, React, Node.js, Puppeteer, Twilio API, ArcGIS API 4, Socket.IO, RxJS, React Router, Web3.js, D3.js, Stripe, Stripe API, Facebook Authentication
GitHub, JSX, Chrome Developer Tools, Git, Mocha, MongoDB Atlas, FullCalendar, Google Compute Engine (GCE), Bitbucket, GNU Wget, Jira, Slack, Gulp, Webpack, CircleCI, Amazon Simple Queue Service (SQS), Karma
MEAN Stack, Web Architecture, REST, Agile, Responsive Layout, Scrum, Continuous Delivery (CD), Continuous Integration (CI), Page Object Model (POM)
JSON, MongoDB, Google Cloud, Google Cloud Storage, Cloud Firestore, Amazon S3 (AWS S3), PostgreSQL
APIs, Full-stack, Web Scraping, Front-end, API Design, NGXS, Socket Communication, Browser Automation, Computer Engineering, Engineering, Back-end, Software Engineering, Architecture, Web Development, CAPTCHA, Chrome Extensions, Technical Leadership, WebSockets, Ethereum Smart Contracts, Smart Contracts, Google+ Authentication, Authentication, Material Design, Code Generators, Encryption, IPFS, Static Analysis, Lean, Teams, Storybook, JSDOM, Decentralized Applications, Payment Gateways
Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Heroku, Vercel, Twilio, Blockchain, Docker, Firebase, Ethereum, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Visual Studio Code (VS Code), Kubernetes, MacOS
Master of Applied Science Degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering
University of British Columbia - Vancouver, BC, Canada
Bachelor's Degree in Petroleum Engineering
American University in Cairo - Cairo, Egypt
Toptal React Academy Graduate
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring