Full-stack Developer | Software Engineer | Consultant2017 - PRESENTToptal
- Developed a SaaS product for civil engineers using an Express.js self-hosted back end. It's a high-performance drawing tool capable of managing thousands of intricate interactive objects. Invented fast novel algorithms to model physical systems.
- Provided software development services and consulting on demand for firms in Sydney, including custom web services, REST API integration, data collection, and data integration.
- Contributed to academic research projects and exploratory work on cutting-edge computer science developments.
- Developed Office add-ins to help with data integration and custom tasks for a real estate firm using C# and .NET.
Full-stack Developer2020 - 2021Additive Assurance
Technologies: React, Material-UI, Node.js, Express.js, AWS, AWS IoT, API Design, Microservices, PostgreSQL, Agile, REST, Kubernetes, DevOps, Amazon Web Services (AWS), REST APIs, Three.js, D3.js
- Designed and implemented a dashboard web app using React, featuring interactive graphs, custom tables, and 2D interactive graphics components that handled large amounts of data seamlessly.
- Designed and implemented a custom full-stack live-data system with Websockets, PostgreSQL events, and React-Redux, and deployed it with RDS in AWS.
- Created a high-performance image viewer with Canvas and React, which can view high-resolution images and seamlessly switch between different resolutions given the zoom level and detail required.
- Collaborated with teammates to design parts of APIs and integrate the app with many AWS components like S3, SQS, Batch, IoT, Lambda, RDS, Beanstalk, and CloudFormation.
- Managed a new team member and created a smooth onboarding experience. Assigned tasks within his skill set and knowledge of the codebase.
Lead Developer2019 - 2021H2X Engineering
Technologies: Vue.js, Node.js, TypeScript, Express.js, ActiveMQ, AWS, Bootstrap, Nginx, Canvas, HTML5, CSS, Project Management, Agile, PostgreSQL, REST, UX, 3D Math, 2D Graphics, Algorithms, DevOps, Amazon Web Services (AWS), REST APIs
- Designed and developed a disruptive app that replaced repetitively, time-consuming, and error-prone pen and paperwork in civil engineering. Discussed with a non-tech cofounder to explore the problem space and a wide variety of potential solutions.
- Prioritized features to develop an initial MVP proof of concept. Prioritized, then designed, and developed remaining features by balancing business importance with engineering roadmap.
- Worked well under pressure. Achieved less than 24-hour turnaround for most customer-reported requests or issues.
- Invented novel algorithms to solve water demand calculations and physics simulations. Invented a series-parallel graph algorithm to designate flow through a hot water return network.
- Conducted research in-platform to identify growth trends as well as problem areas in the product, by analyzing how customers were using the product and presenting growth statistics.
- Developed optimizations throughout the project as growing pains emerged. Improved scalability of the graphics to handle extremely large projects, scalability to a large number of customers and large project files on AWS, and optimized loading times.
- Managed subordinates - an intern front-end developer and a mid-level overseas developer. Designed an onboarding program and training, managed, and delegated tasks with employee skillset and growth in mind.
Software Engineer2016 - 2017Awake Security
Technologies: Haskell, Apache Samza, Apache Kafka, Scala, Java, Debugging
- Worked on the data analytics layer of a cutting-edge security product.
- Identified difficult bugs by tracking the flow of data through the entire stack, analyzing code in multiple languages and systems.
- Worked on features and refactoring in JIRA with an organized and highly skilled team.
Full-stack Developer (Intern)2016 - 2016Palantir
Technologies: React, Node.js, Agile, Optimization, Benchmarking, Mapbox GL, Maps, GeoJSON, SVG, Performance, 2D Graphics, Spring
- Developed features for a Mapbox GL-based mapping tool with a world-class team using the Agile methodology.
- Worked with optimization and performance to improve the rendering of thousands of GeoJSON objects and HTML SVG objects atop an interactive, editable, live-updating map.
- Developed features in both front end and back end using TDD, tracked bugs, and managed feature lifecycles using JIRA.
Software Engineering Intern2015 - 2015
Technologies: CSS, HTML, Android, Java
- Drastically improved the runtime of a heavy test pipeline, by linking an existing headless tool to replace a headed process.
- Made tooling to graph the effects of hyper-params and constants in a mature algorithm with easy to use Java decorators and custom HTML output.
- Created an automated process that deduced optimal values for constants to get the best performance in the algorithm, after completing the former tasks well ahead of schedule.
Software Engineering Intern2014 - 2015Microsoft
Technologies: Hardware, Kernel, Assembly, C++, C, Subversion (SVN)
- Developed an inbox driver for a GPIO controller with a given spec.
- Created a robotic device to demonstrate IO performance for the GPIO controller.
- Identified performance bottlenecks in the existing IOCTL stack in Windows at the time.
Software Engineer2012 - 2013Draftable
Technologies: .NET, C#
- Wrote an Outlook extension that organized email attachments, using C#, .NET Office integration, and Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF).
- Developed a classifier algorithm to identify and group different versions of the same file attachment, based on the sender/recipient, filename, content, and other features.
- Designed the UI and user stories for the add-in to solve business needs at the time.