Distributed Systems Engineer2016 - 2018Airbrake.io
- Improved and maintained the distributed systems code (Go) that accepted and ingested large quantities (~10 million/day data points) of error data.
Distributed Systems Engineer2015 - 2016Appmonsta
Technologies: Python, Spark
- Built Spark (Python) pipelines processing more than 200 million unique data points per day.
- Implemented more-intelligent crawling strategies for high-performance Python web spiders scraping more than 1 million items a day which reduced the operational load of the crawler infrastructure significantly.
- Fixed bugs and maintained the high-performance crawling infrastructure.
Contract Software Engineer2015 - 2015Spring
- Helped the company scale their web scraping infrastructure by building critical components with golang.
Engineer2014 - 2015Rockpool Labs
- Worked with Golang on the Google app engine building high performance, auto-scaling services.
- Built out core service libraries, including logging, error handling, and others critical components.
Senior Software Engineer2013 - 2014Aston Club
Technologies: Node.js, AngularJS, .NET, Ansible
- Initiated and won internal support for a set of Node.js-based software development best practices that minimized duplication of work. This became the lynch-pin for the refactoring of internal code and a key part of the company's plans to tackle problems of scale.
- Championed a complete switch in infrastructure management to Ansible, rewriting deployment, testing, and changes to development procedures to increase productivity.
- Played a part in developing a custom auto-updater in C# and .NET, getting up to speed quickly with the evil land of Microsoft (perhaps learning it's not so evil).
- Developed a new POS integration that increased the total number of active venues (at the time) by 10%.
- Wrote a communications library to drastically simplify the methods of inter-service message routing through message brokers (RabbitMQ).
Software Developer2012 - 2012Better Place Australia
Technologies: iOS, Scala, MongoDB
- Prototyped an IOS application to give the company's customers direct feedback about the Better Place network.
- Designed and built the early mobile client API for communicating with the Better Place network; utilized the Typesafe stack, Salesforce, and MongoDB.
- Improved and maintained internal tools that directly affected the workflow of employees testing devices in the field.
Founder | Sole Developer2011 - 2011Reindeer Flotilla
Technologies: ActionScript, HTML, CSS
- Founded a small business that created games for the web.
- Led a remote team of five people across nine time zones to build Sapphire Skies, an action game with strategic elements that has been played 9,400 times to date.
- Coded all elements of the game, from the UI to the back-end, integrating and heavily modifying an open source ActionScript engine called Flixel.
- Utilized a small test group to make informed improvements based on analytics.
Software Developer2011 - 2011Electronic Arts Montreal
Technologies: Unity3D, Java, C#
- Worked closely in a team of developers, artists, and economists to develop "Trouble Makers," an iPhone game that was played by tens of thousands of users.
- Contributed to all layers of the application, from the server to the UI to the tools.
- Added new features, fixed bugs, and pushed development towards a polished finished product.
- Worked with Unity 3D and C# on the client end in addition to Java on the back-end.
Games Developer2010 - 2010HitGrab Inc.
Technologies: ActionScript, PHP
- Helped drive the conceptualization, development, and analysis of a Flash-based Facebook game.
- Contributed to all layers of the application, creating code on the PHP-based back-end and the ActionScript front-end.
Prototype Software Developer2009 - 2009Research In Motion
Technologies: ActionScript, Java, C
- Architected the front-end development of a major conceptual prototype intended to explore new uses of advanced user interfaces.
- Worked closely with a team of hardware engineers, graphic designers, and industrial designers to develop software to create a cutting-edge product concept.
Interactive Development Intern2009 - 2009Fantasy Interactive
Technologies: ActionScript, CSS, HTML
- Worked alongside seasoned industry experts on projects for major clients (Electronic Arts and Burton).
- Created CSS and HTML widgets that formed the basis of a community-based portal website.
- Brainstormed and designed wireframes that were used to create the Kontain (FI’s home-grown social network) iPhone app.
- Worked in Flash to rapidly create an application for Burton Snowboards that would interactively reveal a portion of a map with smoothly animated movements.
Software Developer2008 - 2008Autodesk
Technologies: Java, Python, Perforce
- Created a Java-based web tool for a project management system that increased usability and saved employees considerable amounts of time each day.
- Performed basic use and administration of the Perforce source control system.
- Wrote Python scripts to automate processes in Perforce.
Software Developer2008 - 2008DesignAxiom
Technologies: ActionScript, Flex
- Learned an in-house Flash development framework and applied knowledge to contribute major deliverables in the development of a complex Flex application for a pharmaceutical analytics company.
- Contributed to an intricate Flex application in the children’s entertainment sector.
- Created JSFL scripts to simplify animation tasks and solve interaction problems between animations and the Flex application.
- Added features to a a desktop-based educational video player.
- Fixed bugs with a Facebook-based Flash game.