Verified Expert in Design
Chris creates user-friendly digital experiences that inform, instruct, and inspire. He can serve multiple roles for a single project, including UX strategist, UX designer, UI designer, and copywriter, creating everything from concept sketches to high-fidelity, interactive prototypes. As a hands-on team leader, Chris has created award-winning campaigns for brands like Band-Aid, Cracker Barrel, ExxonMobil, Johnson & Johnson, Unilever, MIT, The Washington Post, LEGO, and National Geographic.
User Experience Designer
- Redesigned the user experience for Dataswift's user and developer platforms, plus the internal admin UX. Enhanced brand standards and a "best practices" process to bring multiple products under a single visual and vocal identity. dataswift.io.
- Designed and managed the development of a message management system UX and UI for the WNBPA that allowed management to tactically message individuals, teams, special groups, or the entire league with announcements, polls, or special alerts.
- Developed the first-to-market concept for Smile Care Club that included product development and the initial pilot to prove the concept. Shortly after launch, Invisalign bought a 19% stake in the company.
- Enhanced the user experience, recruited an elite team of creatives to accelerate the brand's evolution, and developed investor presentations for SportsBlog.com. Momentum grew from 5,000 visitors in the first month to 1 million after 11 months.
- Designed and developed a fresh brand strategy, company identity, and graphic standards library for Kythera Labs.
VP | Creative and User Experience
- Designed enhancements for the flagship SaaS platform's interface with a multiphased approach that provided small incremental, but tactical improvements to the user experience.
- Refined the company brand and the existing SaaS product identities.
- Wrote new copy for all public-facing products and services, promotions for the web, print, and sales presentations.
- Designed and developed a new website, including a full CMS-driven blog using Webflow. chrisblanz-perceptionhealth.webflow.io/.
UX/UI Product Designer and Co-Founder
- Invented a new patented process to securely manage and remotely control Bluetooth beacons, NFC tags, and QR code touchpoints using Google's Physical Web protocol.
- Designed a comprehensive user experience strategy that took concepts through an iterative process of design, including wireframes and high-fidelity comps based on user-testing and feedback.
- Strategized a browser-based user experience and managed a team of developers (React, Redux, Node.js, MongoDB, AWS) to build a modern SaaS platform to remotely control Physical Web touchpoints.
- Designed and managed the development of native iOS and Android apps that included QR code scanning, reading NFC tags, and scanning for Bluetooth Beacons. Based on these apps, multiple white label versions were developed.
- Designed multiple iterations of identity, web, print packaging, investor presentations, sales support material/presentations, and user interface designs (responsive web and mobile apps) that provided continuity across the breadth of the brand.
- Designed physical hardware products (Bluetooth beacons) and worked with hardware engineering and production teams in the US and China regarding the external look and feel, as well as the internal electronic features and functions for each product.
- Recruited and managed a team of top-tier designers.
- Innovated early web UX with enhanced interfaces using Flash. Yes, there were a few "skip intros," but it was a policy that we did not have "Flash for the sake of Flash" on any website. All animation was required to form that followed function.
- Managed a team of staff designers and project managers in Nashville, New York, and Cairo, Egypt.
Contract Creative Director, Product Innovation
- Designed a comprehensive UX and UI strategy for RecruitTalk, a "LinkedIn equivalent for high school athletes." No small feat, the UX had to accommodate mismatched stats from multiple sports being administered by novice web/app users. bit.ly/cab-rt.
- Developed an easy-to-follow eCommerce user experience and enhanced brand for non-technical senior citizens to purchase hearing aids online. Included design, copywriting, photography, illustration, and development team management. bit.ly/cab-song.
- Mentored entrepreneurs participating in jfs.co and ec.co accelerator programs, helping enhance product offerings, user experiences, and brand messaging for on-line, mobile, and offline retail products and services.
- Developed investor pitch deck for Zingfin (bit.ly/cab-zing) that included copywriting, design, animation, and pitch coaching.
- Developed investor pitch deck for KaraoQ (bit.ly/cab-karaoq) that included copywriting, design, animation, and pitch coaching, but absolutely no public singing.
- Founded and served as CEO and hands-on Creative Director for an interactive agency of designers, writers, developers, web strategists, and public relations strategists with yearly revenues averaging $1.5 million before selling the agency in 2012.
- Designed and developed branded user experiences for brands like Band-Aid, Cracker Barrel, ExxonMobil, Johnson & Johnson, Unilever, The Washington Post, LEGO, National Geographic, and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), and others.
- Recruited and led a team of talented designers and creative contributors to innovate and lead key email, banner advertising, and animation design trends for nearly a decade.
- Received more than 75 American Advertising Federation awards.
- Honored with more than 50 American Graphic Design awards.
- Won 5 AIGA CASE Awards (including 2 "Best Of..." awards).
- Awarded a Telly Award for the only video we ever produced.
- Featured twice in the Music City Future 50 Awards by the Nashville Business Journal.
- Named Nashville Business Journal's Best in Business for two consecutive years.
- Honored as one of the Best Places to Work from the Nashville Business Journal. By far, it was one of the most fulfilling awards I have ever received.
- Invented, designed, and managed the development of a unique "moderated chat" function for the Grand Ole Opry that allowed celebrities to chat with fans without fear of fans going rogue and exposing the Opry to certain legal liabilities.
- Created the first website for Cracker Barrel Old Country Stores and enhanced the webmaster's experience with an "Assisted responder" that allowed her to field questions faster and more accurately. The estimated ROI was well over $50,000 per year.
- Designed and managed the development of one of the first news aggregator sites on the internet. (Think Google News, but focused on regions of the US with custom summaries.) This tool became the foundation of one of the first CMSs on the internet.
- Sold the company to a New York investment firm in 2004.
- Designed and managed the development of several of the first multimedia (print and CD-ROM) campaigns at the beginning of the rise and eventual boon of tourism in Nashville.
- Partnered with rocket scientists (literally) to win the very first website design and development contract for the State of Tennessee, which led to a merger of the two companies.
- Designed one of the first legitimate rock-star websites for John Kay and Steppenwolf.
Bachelor's Degree in Graphic Design
Western Kentucky University - Bowling Green, KY