Verified Expert in Design
Heiko has more than two decades of experience with planning, managing, and executing UX designs for industry leaders like Apple, Motorola, Google, and Skype/Microsoft. His mobile user interfaces, messaging experiences, and immersive media interactions have shipped in millions of phones, tablets, and apps. Heiko is the co-founder of Studio Resilience, a design lab that creates digital art exploring humans' impact on our natural environment, offering hope through imagination, play, and action.
Sea Level Check | Citizen Science AR
Feedc | Connecting People and Places
Microsoft | Skype for Outlook
- Co-founded Studio Resilience, a design lab that creates digital art, exploring humans' impact on our natural environment, offering hope through imagination, play, and action.
- Collaborated in developing Reef Hero Game, which brings to life the struggles that coral reefs face worldwide. It leverages the immersive qualities of a 3D game to make the consequential effects we have on this underwater ecosystem tangible.
- Cooperated in the Sea Level Check App design, which combines scientific projections with AR and live video to show how future sea levels may impact us on a personal or community level. It captures and shares what you see in a video loop.
- Collaborated in developing the Smog Selfie App, which generates AR face masks that show how bad the air pollution level is wherever you go. It lets you post a selfie to tell your friends how air quality affects your life.
- Provided design services for experience strategy, concept definition, and design execution to clients.
- Created a complete app experience for Feedc, a social network centered around places on different scales, such as my city, country, world, etc.
- Translated real-world patterns of user roles and information flow in a clinic into a system experience. Conducted this on behalf of DOC, a medical startup that streamlines doctor-patient communication by using familiar social messaging patterns.
- Worked closely with the Workato founders on rapid iterations to get from a bare-bones proof-of-concept to a competitive product experience. Created the foundation for UI architecture and design language of Workato's automation platform.
Principal Design Manager
- Managed Skype's mobile design studios located in London, Palo Alto, and Redmond. Delivered coherent, signature experiences across phone and tablet apps used worldwide for millions of Skype calls.
- Set the direction for the designs of new mobile features, such as picture messaging, group video calls, and chat redesign.
- Led the efforts for Skype’s first release of their signature video calling experience in the browser.
Senior Android Designer
- Acted as the interaction design lead for Honeycomb's core operating system experiences, the first Android release tailored for tablets.
- Delivered the new or reframed solutions for overall navigation, home screen, app launcher, notification system, and text input.
- Collaborated with all stakeholders from product, engineering, and research to drive quick design decision-making.
Principal Design Manager
- Created and evangelized UX strategies for location-based services, predictive text input, and voice recognition.
- Directed the consumer research and design teams while collaborating with senior-level business, engineering, and marketing partners.
- Led the experience development of iTap 6.0, an intelligent input solution included in Motorola’s phone shipping worldwide.
UX Design Principal
- Directed Point Forward's consulting in interactive product and service design. Developed and managed client accounts in Asia, Europe, and North America.
- Planned and executed the international ethnographic studies, design development, and usability evaluations. Included France Telecom and Ericsson as clients.
- Developed the first prototype systems for social networking and media with Ericsson Research.
Director of Interaction Design
- Managed a multidisciplinary studio consisting of anthropologists and designers focusing on qualitative research and advanced user experience development for mobile devices, smart appliances, and complex web apps.
- Worked for clients that included Ericsson, Invensys, Creative, and Sun Microsystems.
- Designed the first multimedia messaging applications for Ericsson research.
- Developed award-winning design concepts for early communication appliances at Apple's Advanced Technology Group, featuring unified experience principles across product design and software interface.
- Studied user behaviors and novel input interaction approaches in China, Hong Kong, Singapore, and Japan while at Apple's Singapore research center.
- Led the UX and visual design of Apple's Advanced Chinese Input Suite—the world's first integrated speech and pen input system for Chinese.
Fulbright Scholar in Industrial Design
San Jose State University - San Jose, CA, USA
Master's Degree in Product Design
Hochschule für Gestaltung - Offenbach, Germany