Aleksey N. Krylov, CFA
Verified Expert in Finance
Aleksey served in CFO roles of public and VC-backed private companies. As an investor, he contributed to 25+ private equity deals that have deployed $500 million. He has advised 50+ clients on raising $1.6 billion in equity in the healthcare, consumer, media, software, energy, and industrial sectors. Aleksey enjoys working with officers of early-stage and mature small-cap firms, and he freelances because it exposes him to a wide range of companies.
Series A Capital Raising Package
Project Finance Investment Committee Presentation
Business and Financial Consultant
- Supported Circle Peak Capital, a family office with control positions in eight privately held consumer, health, and wellness companies with a combined $600 million in sales. Led due diligence. Built LBO and other models.
- Structured Circle Peak Capital's equity investment into a startup digital media platform focused on women's intimate apparel. Proposed terms and coordinated with lawyers on the drafting of closing documents.
- Performed Circle Peak Capital's $10 million recapitalization of a baked products manufacturer. Prepared a teaser and assisted the firm's CFO in recap modeling, which included post-closing exit waterfall.
- Built financial operations while reporting to a leading EU life sciences PE investor for Ritrova Therapeutics, a CNS biotech; structured and closed a $4M SAFE.
- Advised the CEO and BOD on financing strategy and partnership structure. I was instrumental in closing on $0.5M in seed financing via a convertible note. This is for Neoolife, a medical device company.
- Advised the CEO and delivered a $10M convertible note term sheet for Zenagen, a consumer health products company.
- Supported Eurasia Capital in executing a $10M private placement for a holding company with a portfolio of construction equipment and real estate businesses. Led a team in drafting the PPM.
- Assisted HHM Capital, a US middle-market PE firm, in developing a $500 million commercial aircraft aviation leasing fund. Wrote the investment memo, which included a detailed industry and competitive positioning analysis.
- Helped raise a structured vehicle for a mid-market commercial lender in Russia on behalf of HHM Capital. Led due diligence for a loan portfolio. Developed marketing materials for external fundraising.
- Ran U.S. operations and managed relationships with pre-clinical CRO and regulatory consultants for BIOBOHEMIA. Prepared investor positioning statements, developed collateral materials, and represented the company at numerous investor events.
Advisor to the CEO (Healthcare/US)
Moleculera Labs, Inc.
- Advised the CEO on institutional fundraising (Series B); prepared marketing materials and identified investor targets.
- Introduced the CEO to strategic and scientific advisers; engaged in business development discussions involving strategic partnerships with industry and academia.
- Identified novel applications of the core product, helped position the company for product line expansion.
CytoImmune Therapeutics, Inc.
- Partnered with co-founders and the CEO to build the company that raised $110M over the tenure as a CFO.
- Prepared and executed a $30M crossover financing, including securing the term sheet, managing due diligence, documentation, and closing.
- Built relationships with investment banks in preparation for an IPO.
- Administered financials of a CMC plant construction project delivered on time and within 10% of the estimated budget during COVID-19 restrictions.
- Prepared consolidated financials in compliance with U.S. GAAP.
- Recruited and trained an in-house accounting and finance operations team. Upgraded auditor and delivered audited financials.
- Oversaw the implementation of enterprise-grade accounting software and transitioned from multiple platforms to a unified cloud-based system.
- Evaluated 200+ candidates to join the Toptal finance professional network.
- Contributed to assessment case studies and evaluation methodology for the professionals.
- Achieved one of the longer-serving screener statuses.
DIH International, Ltd.
- Partnered with the CEO and COO to successfully deliver several milestones critical to preparation for a strategic transaction involving this $85 million in revenue/400 employee medical device manufacturer.
- Coordinated the consolidated audit.
- Built a sales force effectiveness-driven five-year projections model.
- Prepared a comprehensive analysis of historical performance on consolidated basis; delivered working capital and cost reduction recommendations.
Chief Financial Officer
SELLAS Life Sciences (Nasdaq: SLS)
- Completed the reverse merger of SELLAS into a Nasdaq-listed company; led post-M&A integration of two companies.
- Secured SELLAS' public listing on NASDAQ and oversaw the company's shares commencing trading on the exchange.
- Presided over $10.7 million Series A financing raised.
- Led balance sheet restructuring and debt redemption negotiations.
- Conducted ongoing SEC and internal reporting; oversaw SOX compliance; managed financial controls and procedures.
- Sole-managed short-term cash budgeting and long-term projections modeling.
- Attended and represented SELLAS at investor conferences and managed investor relations functions.
- Managed accounts payable, liquidity, and treasury functions.
Senior VP, Investment Analyst
- Led due diligence on four successfully closed private equity investments with $343 million in invested capital.
- Sourced various acquisition and private equity investment opportunities.
- Build financial projection models with valuation and investment return analyses.
- Developed investment committee memoranda, presented an investment thesis, and secured approval to make investments.
- Monitored investments as a board observer and assisted with business development efforts.
- Assisted portfolio companies with capital raising and restructuring/reorganization advice.
- Managed a team of three professionals in originating, executing, and managing principal debt investments in—and providing opportunistic advisory services to—Russian companies in the consumer, mineral resources, and technology sectors.
- Led a distressed takeover of a seventeen-door grocery store chain in central Russia. Negotiated terms of the debt-for-equity swap. Developed a series of reorganization recommendations and worked with the store management on their implementation.
- Secured a retainer relationship from a manufacturer of canned vegetable and fruit products. Advised the company on strategic alternatives, including optimization of its capital structure and growth via acquisitions along its vertical supply chain.
- Originated a $10 million private placement for a delinquent consumer credit collection company. Negotiated the engagement letter. Led the team of bankers during the prep and marketing, which resulted in a term sheet.
- Ran a sale process of a civil engineering construction company with revenues of $100+ million per annum. Placed sales calls to, and negotiated with, strategic and financial buyers.
- Served as an investment analyst reporting directly to the CEO of this family office. Evaluated investment opportunities and helped manage a portfolio of industrial and technology firms. Led business development and capital raising activities across the entire portfolio.
- Evaluated an equity investment in the carve-out of a Russian coal/ore railroad car fleet company. Prepared an investment committee presentation to a bulge-bracket-backed PE firm, which co-sponsored the deal.
- Built a recapitalization model and evaluated restructuring scenarios for a $150 million market cap hybrid-electric vehicle battery manufacturer. Secured a leading mutual fund’s commitment as an anchor investor in the $32 million PIPE with subsequent uplisting on Nasdaq.
- Analyzed an acquisition of a lead-acid battery manufacturer for the telecom industry. Performed valuation analysis. Delivered a recommended bid range to the board, which approved the transaction. Prepared and submitted a bid on behalf of the group.
- Evaluated a venture investment into a video game developer/publisher and presented my recommendation to the board. The board voted to approve this $10 million investment.
SG Cowen/Societe Generale
- Supported senior bankers in origination, structuring, and execution of 46 private direct PIPEs/RDs placement and advisory engagements valued over $1.3 billion in the healthcare, technology, aerospace/defense, consumer, media, and communications industries.
- Performed client due diligence, developed detailed financial models, and drafted private placement and investment memoranda and presentations.
- Handled notable transactions: $63 million equity private placement for Acusphere across two deals; €30 million equity private placement for Elbion AG across two deals; $72 million equity private placement for AuthentiDate; $15 million equity private placement for Aurora Flight Sciences; fairness opinion on RWE's $445 million private sale of Consol Energy shares; $25 million equity private placement for Hollis-Eden Pharmaceuticals across two deals; and $32 million equity private placement for Solexa.
Master of Business Administration (MBA) in General Management
Columbia Business School - New York, NY
Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) in Finance
CFA Institute - Charlottesville, Virginia
Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration
Babson College - Wellesley, MA
Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA)
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring