Senior VP, Investment Analyst
2011 - PRESENT
- Led due diligence on four successfully closed private equity investments with $343 million in invested capital.
- Sourced various acquisition and private equity investment opportunities.
- Build financial projection models with valuation and investment return analyses.
- Developed investment committee memoranda, presented an investment thesis, and secured approval to make investments.
- Monitored investments as a board observer and assisted with business development efforts.
- Assisted portfolio companies with capital raising and restructuring/reorganization advice.
Focus areas: deal sourcing, Mergers & Acquisitions, investment evaluation, Financial Modeling, structuring, Capital Structure Analysis, Growth Capital Raising, Angel/Seed Funding, Venture Funding, Investor Communications, investment monitoring, Fundraising, Fairness Opinion Reports, Financial Benchmarking
Business and Financial Consultant
2009 - PRESENT
- Provided business development, strategy, valuation, restructuring, and fundraising advice to private equity and corporate clients through this consultancy.
- Supported this private equity firm HHM Capital in developing a concept for raising a $500M fund dedicated to Russia/CIS commercial aircraft aviation leasing. Wrote an investment memo, which included detailed industry and competitive positioning analysis. Presented the memo to the investment committee.
- Led financial due diligence of a Russian aircraft lessor on behalf of HHM Capital. Built a financial projections model for a 130-aircraft lease portfolio. Developed lease pricing/valuation models. Acted as a communication and cultural link between the American private equity team and Russian executives.
- Helped raise a structured vehicle for a mid-market commercial lender in Russia on behalf of HHM Capital. Led due diligence for a loan portfolio. Developed marketing materials for external fundraising.
- Supported family office Circle Peak Capital in preparing and submitting a leveraged buyout bid for an Italian luxury cashmere products manufacturer. Led due diligence for the target. Built the LBO model. Coordinated lender diligence.
- Supported Circle Peak Capital in structuring of the equity investment into a startup digital media platform focused on women’s intimate apparel. Proposed terms and coordinated with lawyers on the drafting of closing documents.
- Supported Circle Peak Capital in a $10M recapitalization of a baked products manufacturer. Prepared a teaser and assisted the firm’s CFO in recap modeling, which included post-closing exit waterfall.
- Supported Circle Peak Capital in executing a $5M control investment in a luxury leather accessory retailer. Led target due diligence. Worked closely with the target's CEO and developed a detailed operating model with debt funding sensitivity tools.
- Marketed a $30M pre-IPO round for a Mongolian coking-coal firm to international buyers on behalf of Eurasia Capital, a Mongolia-based merchant bank. Commenced discussions with a global steel producer, which eventually expressed interest in acquiring a controlling stake in the Company through a $100M+ transaction.
- Supported Eurasia Capital in executing a $10M private placement for a company with holdings in the mining equipment rental and real estate businesses. Led a team of Mongolian employees in drafting the PPM and coordinated with lawyers to finalize the book.
Focus areas: Mergers & Acquisitions, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Financial Modeling, Valuation, Investor Communications, Budgeting, Fundraising, Market Research, Interim CFO, Business Development
2008 - 2009
- Managed a team of three professionals in originating, executing, and managing principal debt investments in--and providing opportunistic advisory services to--Russian companies in the consumer, mineral resources, and technology sectors.
- Led a distressed takeover of a seventeen-door grocery store chain in central Russia. Negotiated terms of the debt-for-equity swap. Developed a series of reorganization recommendations and worked with the store management on their implementation.
- Secured a retainer relationship from a manufacturer of canned vegetable and fruit products. Advised the company on strategic alternatives, including optimization of its capital structure and growth via acquisitions along its vertical supply chain.
- Originated a $10M private placement for a delinquent consumer credit collection company. Negotiated the engagement letter. Led the team of bankers during the prep and marketing, which resulted in a term sheet.
- Ran a sale process of a civil engineering construction company with revenues of $100M+ per annum. Placed sales calls to, and negotiated with, strategic and financial buyers.
Focus areas: Mergers & Acquisitions, Fundraising
2005 - 2008
- Served as an investment analyst reporting directly to the CEO of this family office. Evaluated investment opportunities and helped manage a portfolio of industrial and technology firms. Led business development and capital raising activities across the entire portfolio.
- Evaluated an equity investment in the carve-out of a Russian coal/ore railroad car fleet company. Prepared an investment committee presentation to a bulge-bracket-backed PE firm, which co-sponsored the deal.
- Built a recapitalization model and evaluated restructuring scenarios for a $150M market cap hybrid-electric vehicle battery manufacturer. Secured a leading mutual fund’s commitment as an anchor investor in the $32M PIPE.
- Analyzed an acquisition of a lead-acid battery manufacturer for the telecom industry. Performed valuation analysis. Delivered a recommended bid range to the board, which approved the transaction. Prepared and submitted a bid on behalf of the group.
- Evaluated a venture investment into a video game developer/publisher and presented my recommendation to the board. The board voted to approve this $10M investment.
Focus areas: Mergers & Acquisitions, Private Equity Investments, Venture Funding
SG Cowen/Societe Generale
2002 - 2005
- Supported senior bankers in origination, structuring, and execution of 46 private direct PIPEs/RDs placement and advisory engagements valued over $1.3 billion in the healthcare, technology, aerospace/defense, consumer, media, and communications industries.
- Performed client due diligence, developed detailed financial models, and drafted private placement and investment memoranda and presentations.
- Handled notable transactions: $63M equity private placement for Acusphere across two deals; €30M equity private placement for Elbion AG across two deals; $72M equity private placement for AuthentiDate; $15M equity private placement for Aurora Flight Sciences; fairness opinion on RWE's $445M private sale of Consol Energy shares; $25M equity private placement for Hollis-Eden Pharmaceuticals across two deals; $32M equity private placement for Solexa.
Focus areas: Venture Funding, Fundraising