Verified Expert in Finance
Bertrand is a 25-year finance veteran with a true 360 experience, honed as an investment banker, venture advisor, project developer, CFO, and expert witness consultant in international arbitrations. He has advised and partnered on over 100 transactions and investment initiatives totaling over $16 billion. Bertrand is a seasoned problem solver and decision-maker with expert facilitation skills. Bertrand advises on M&A, corporate development, venture growth, project development, and financing.
M&A Transaction Analysis
Sea Life Rescue
- Advised in a CFO capacity a nonprofit organization dedicated to ocean conservation and the repopulation of the world's endangered marine species using revolutionary mobile floating marine hatchery technology.
- Established a global partnership with Tidewater Inc. (NYSE: TDW) with the founding team. Leveraged the marine science expertise of Sea Life Rescue together with the worldwide reach of Tidewater's fleet of offshore marine vessels.
- Worked on the Sea Life Rescue's pioneering model that enables in-site mass fertilization of multiple targeted species at scale by releasing billions of juveniles and increasing their survival chances in the wild.
- Developed strategy, expert testimony, and valuations of companies, joint ventures, assets, contracts, and projects for clients across multiple industries in support of international litigation among sovereign states and corporations.
- Produced expert testimony across sectors including clean energy, oil and gas, consumer goods, agriculture, industrial, infrastructure, and business services.
- Advised formerly EconOne Research, a leading economic and financial firm.
EarthEnergy Partners LLC
- Founded a financial and strategic advisory firm partnering with passionate leaders with a vision to build a better world.
- Partnered with investors, corporations, innovative ventures, and developers on mergers and acquisitions, venture growth, clean energy and environmental projects, corporate development, and social impact.
- Advised Openbucks, a Silicon Valley financial technology company backed by renowned technology investors, on strategic alternatives, drafted marketing materials, built the financial projections model, and identified and sourced potential investors.
- Advised cutting-edge biotech startup called BluePlanet, on growth strategy and fundraising alternatives, drafted marketing materials, developed the business plan, built the financial model, and identified and sourced investors.
- Advised Multivista, a leading venture in construction photo and video technology, on their business plan forecasts, financial model, valuation, and negotiation strategy with investors.
- Advised a French-based pioneer in 3D visualization technologies SquareClock, on strategic alternatives, drafted marketing materials, built a financial model, and advised on fundraising strategy.
- Originated, advised, and structured over 900 megawatts of utility-scale and distributed solar, waste-to-energy, wind, and mini-hydro assets in North America, Latin America, Asia, and Europe.
- Partnered with Asia PE fund Leopard Capital on a $50 million investment for sustainable infrastructure projects in clean energy, water access, agriculture, and aquaculture, while acquiring a controlling stake in a leading Vietnamese solar company.
- Advised Amada Group, an industrial Japanese conglomerate, on a buy-side mandate in a high-tech US venture. Led strategic and financial evaluation, pro forma forecast, due diligence, management Q&A, term sheet preparation, and negotiation strategy.
- Advised GeoZilla, a leading consumer technology provider of family safety app solutions, on the sale auction of the company to industry leaders. Spearheaded M&A process, strategic review, C-suite team training, marketing to buyers, and negotiations.
Chief Financial Officer
- Joined the founding team as the CFO of an award-winning cleantech developer of next-generation syngas process technology that was awarded Best Available Control Technology by the EPA under the Clean Air Act.
- Spearheaded the corporate finance and corporate development for the business, building the project model, sensitivities, and complex financing alternatives.
- Leveraged a deep relationship network for capital financing by leading financial engineering and negotiations with banks, funds, and multinational conglomerates for a $200M project for CALAMCO, the largest agricultural cooperative in California.
Rothschild & Co
- Advised on over 30 mergers and acquisitions totaling $14 billion in technology, B2C, B2B, retail, media, industrial, energy, and infrastructure sectors across Europe, North America, and Asia.
- Orchestrated sale and purchase mandates leading efforts across board members, CEOs, CFOs, legal counsels, key management executives, financial auditors, counterparties, and their agents.
- Negotiated legal documentation, including sale and purchase agreements, participation and shareholders agreements, and licensing and transition services agreements.
- Led multiple teams worldwide, oversaw complex financial engineering, and supervised mergers, leveraged buyouts, and valuations.
- Provided strategic and financial advice to Intel Corp. in the renegotiation and expansion of its NAND flash memory joint venture relationship with Micron Technology.
- Advised Brown-Forman, a $13 billion spirits company, on the sale of its wine operations to Vine Concha y Toro, the largest wine company in Latin America, for $238 million. Executed sell-side auction, co-negotiated SPA, and led a team of bankers.
- Advised Lyreco, a leading B2B company with €2 billion in sales on LBO and merger proposal with Corporate Express, a €1.5 billion competitor competing with a hostile bid by Staples. Led strategic and financial advisory to the CEO and Board.
- Advised Vinci SA, a $23 billion infrastructure company, on the sale of WFS, a global provider of airport services, to LBO France for $410 million. Led sale process and teams across two continents and crafted financial structuring.
- Advised LVMH CEO family office on €100m investment in Paprec, a leading recycling company, with the negotiation of refinancing and Capex lines. Led due diligence, financial valuation, transaction structure, and negotiations with shareholders and banks.
- Advised BNFL on the sale of Westinghouse Electric Company to Toshiba Corporation. Managed the sell-side execution involving The Shaw Group, GE, and Mitsubishi, maintaining a highly competitive process resulting in a final offer 300% above expectations.
- Led the execution of strategic acquisitions and special projects.
- Led analysts team on key deliverables pertaining to fund formation and M&A integration.
- Offered a full-time position after the MBA summer internship.
Dresdner Kleinwort Wasserstein
- Performed financial modeling, valuation analysis as well as industry research, and drafted investor presentations for numerous clients across a broad range of industries.
- Focused on M&A transactions both cross-border and US-based.
- General industry coverage, ranging from media, to telecom and B2B.
Arnhold and S. Bleichroeder
- Performed financial modeling, valuation analysis, and industry research, and drafted investor presentations for numerous clients across various industries.
- Provided generalist M&A advisory coverage to US-based companies.
- Advised on a wide range of industries, including industrials, tech, and B2C.
Master of Business Administration (MBA) Degree, Magna Cum Laude (3.9 GPA) in Finance
Zicklin School of Business at Baruch College | The City University of New York (CUNY) - New York City, NY, USA
Master's Degree in Finance
Université Pierre Mendès France – IAE - Grenoble, France
Bachelor's Degree in Political Science
Institut d’Etudes Politiques - Grenoble, France
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring