Indialantic, FL, United States
Toptal Member Since
February 14, 2020
Brendan has raised over $700 million and built strategic relationships with numerous Fortune 500 companies to help grow businesses in more than ten industries. He loves freelancing, as it allows him to apply his skills to a variety of problems. Brendan uses his years of experience as a startup CEO and financial advisor to help companies create viable business plans and raise the capital needed to implement them.
Brendan is available for hireHire Brendan
Viseon Partners, Inc.
Meridian Realty Investments, LLC
Viseon Energy, LLC
Master of Business Administration (MBA) Degree
University of Notre Dame
Founding a Company that Built a $500-million Commercial Real Estate Portfolio
M&A (Buy-side)M&A (Sell-side)EntrepreneurshipFundraisingStrategic PlanningGeneral Management+ 5 more
Founding a Pricing Software Company
EntrepreneurshipGeneral ManagementStrategic PlanningNew Product DevelopmentMobile AppsPatents+ 4 more
Management Consultation and Strategic Advice
Management ConsultingFundraising ConsultantSeed FundraisingM&A (Sell-side)Strategic Planning & ExecutionBusiness Plan Consulting+ 1 more
Industry ExpertiseInvestment BankingManufacturingReal EstateeCommerceFinancial ModelingStartupsProduct DevelopmentRenewable Energy
Other ExpertiseEntrepreneurshipFinancial ModelingFundraisingHealthtechMergers & Acquisitions (M&A)Pitch DecksStartups
2001 - PRESENT
Viseon Partners, Inc.
- Created business plans, pitch decks, and financial models and provided financial advisory services to dozens of companies with compelling business ideas in a host of different industries.
- Assisted a market-leading broadcast antenna manufacturer to adapt its business strategy to new FCC regulations.
- Found the buyer and then managed the sale of an $80-million business unit of a multi-billion-dollar contract manufacturer.
- Led the team that structured and syndicated a $700+ million investment in refined coal production facilities.
- Raised $15+ million of capital for an early stage technology fund.
- Helped a seed-stage medtech venture fund develop its business plan, set up the fund, evaluate investment opportunities, and raise capital.
Focus areas: Fund Formation, eCommerce, Renewable Energy, New Product Development, Entrepreneurship, Strategic Partnerships, Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Business Planning, Startups, Pitch Decks, Investment Research, Investment Decision-making, Financial Modeling, New Business Ventures, Strategic Planning, Management Consulting, Fundraising, M&A (Sell-side)
2017 - 2019
- Identified the market opportunity and developed the business plan for this SaaS company that created solutions that allowed customers to bid on products and services and have the bids accepted or rejected in real-time using AI technology.
- Co-invented three patents that were critical enablers for the company.
- Established a partnership with the largest owner/operator of golf courses in the US to enter the golf industry.
- Raised the seed-stage capital needed to fund the company.
- Developed both mobile apps and web-based software products that allowed consumers to bid on golf tee times.
Focus areas: eCommerce, New Product Development, Entrepreneurship, Startups, Product Development, Market Opportunity Analysis, Opportunity Identification, Product Planning, Strategic Planning & Execution, Strategic Partnerships, Fundraising, General Management
2004 - 2019
Meridian Realty Investments, LLC
- Developed the business plan then built a $500-million portfolio of institutional quality real estate assets by acquiring eight large multi-tenant office and multifamily properties along with approximately $50 million in raw land.
- Raised over $100 million of "venture debt" and over $300 million of long term debt from life insurance companies and conduit lenders to fund these acquisitions.
- Syndicated ownership interests to over 250 high net-worth individual investors through a nationwide broker/dealer distribution channel, raising almost $200 million of equity.
- Prepared all of the offering materials and successfully completed the broker dealer compliance and due diligence processes.
- Provided ongoing asset management services, running a $60-million annual business.
- Ran formal sale processes and completed successful exits on seven of eight properties despite very difficult market conditions. Achieved returns that far exceeded same year vintage real estate funds.
- Created the business plan for a value add industrial real estate fund, structured and organized the fund, raised capital, identified, evaluated and consummated investment opportunities, then oversaw the management of the portfolio.
Focus areas: Fund Formation, New Product Development, Entrepreneurship, Strategic Partnerships, Startups, Commercial Real Estate, Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Business Operations, Investor Relations, M&A (Sell-side), M&A (Buy-side), Opportunity Identification, Fundraising, General Management
2009 - 2012
Viseon Energy, LLC
- Founded and developed the business plan for this renewable energy finance company that provided equity financing for utility-scale solar and wind energy projects.
- Spearheaded a joint venture with Grubb & Ellis, then one of the largest real estate companies in the world, to launch the company.
- Developed one of the industry's first equity investment vehicles for investors that were not focused primarily on tax benefits.
- Partnered with Goldman Sachs to become the platform company for the renewable energy investments of the Goldman Sachs Infrastructure Fund.
- Partnered with SoCore, a subsidiary of Edison International, to pursue rooftop solar financing opportunities.
Focus areas: New Product Development, Renewable Energy, Entrepreneurship, Startups, Strategic Partnerships, Joint Ventures, Tax Equity, Fundraising, Strategic Planning & Execution, General Management, M&A (Buy-side)
1997 - 2000
- Created the business concept and raised approximately $5 million of seed capital to fund one of the first companies to commercialize wireless location technology by providing location enabled software to colleges and universities.
- Negotiated and executed a technology licensing agreement to access the core enabling technology.
- Designed and built both location systems and user tracking devices for college campuses, theme parks, and shopping mall applications.
- Launched a personal safety service for students on college campuses.
- Partnered with industry leaders like IBM and Sears to enable first generation geofencing solutions for stores and malls.
Focus areas: New Product Development, Startups, Product Planning, Strategic Partnerships, Strategic Planning & Execution, Market Opportunity Analysis, Opportunity Identification, Fundraising, General Management
1995 - 1996
VP, Corporate Development
TCI International, Inc.
- Ran one of the business units of this small publicly-traded government contracting company and was VP, Corporate Development of the parent prior to its acquisition by a Fortune 500 company.
- Developed and evaluated investment strategies, return targets, and risk mitigation strategies to manage the company's significant cash reserves.
- Led a successful bid for a $40-million government contract in Brazil.
- Spearheaded the company's initiatives to invest in new business lines by evaluating numerous opportunities and presenting recommendations to the CEO.
Focus areas: Entrepreneurship, Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Government Contracting, International Commerce, Corporate Development, Strategic Planning & Execution
1993 - 1995
Senior Vice President
Flash Comm, Inc.
- Developed the business concept and wrote the business plan for this nationwide wireless messaging company that provided ubiquitous "text-type" messaging throughout the United States in the precellular era.
- Co-invented the critical enabling patents.
- Developed strategic relationships with Fortune 500 companies Harris Corp. and Lexmark International.
- Raised $10 million of seed capital to launch the company.
- Oversaw day-to-day operations, including product development activities.
Focus areas: New Product Development, Entrepreneurship, Startups, Business Planning, Market Opportunity Analysis, Product Planning, Strategic Partnerships, Strategic Planning & Execution, Fundraising
1991 - 1993
Manager, Commercial Business Development
- Managed the defense conversion activities of a $250-million business unit for this Fortune 500 defense contractor.
- Evaluated numerous defense-oriented technologies and developed opportunities to use them to meet market needs in other industries by raising external capital and developing strategic partnerships.
- Negotiated highly profitable technology licensing agreement with consumer products company.
- Positioned the company to participate in a major commercial communication satellite program.
- Worked closely with senior management at the business unit and corporate level to identify acquisition targets, perform due diligence and consummate transactions.
Focus areas: Corporate Development, Strategic Partnerships, Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Intrapreneurship, Joint Venture Development, New Business Ventures, M&A (Buy-side), Strategic Planning & Execution
1987 - 1989
Advanced Technology, Inc.
- Served as a member of the after-action team established by NASA following the Space Shuttle Challenger disaster.
- Worked at Morton Thiokol solid rocket motor production facility evaluating design and manufacturing processes in an effort to identify root causes of O-ring failure.
Focus areas: Advisory, Technical Design, Manufacturing, Process Improvement, Manufacturing Design
1983 - 1987
Platoon and Company Commander
United States Marine Corps
- Commanded a platoon of 30+ marines in both domestic training and overseas deployments.
- Commanded a company of 160+ marines.
Focus areas: Leadership
Strategies for Raising Startup Capital in Small Markets
The Art of the Fundraising Pitch Deck
Building the Next Big Thing: A Guide to Business Idea Development
1989 - 1991
Master of Business Administration (MBA) Degree in Business Administration
Harvard University - Cambridge, MA, USA
1979 - 1983
Bachelor's Degree in Aerospace Engineering
University of Notre Dame - Notre Dame, IN, USA