Carlos Salas Najera
Verified Expert in Finance
Carlos is an FCA-regulated investment professional with an excellent track record of managing equity strategies. He helped raise AUM—from $200 million to over $1 billion—while the head of equities at LCAM. He is keen on projects that allow him to utilize his investing and machine learning background to add value. Carlos has extensive experience working with institutional investors, family offices, as well as UHNWI investors.
Turnaround/Self-help Investment Strategy for Pension Plan Client
Quantamental Analysis Case: Applying Alternative and Conventional Data to Industry Analysis and Stock Picking
Private Equity Due Diligence: Fraud Detection | Powa
Derivatives Strategy | Covered Call for Long-only Equity Income Mandate
Freelance Investment Research Consultant | University Lecturer
University of London
- Managed investment research and machine learning projects with clients, including investment banks, asset managers, and pension plans.
- Delivered lectures to university students on coding, data science, and machine learning using Python, VBA, and R programming languages.
- Built syllabus content and materials for data science and machine learning lectures using R and Python. The syllabus included advanced coding, supervised and unsupervised ML, and RL algorithms.
- Conducted corporate training for hedge funds, investment banks, and asset managers on behalf of the University of London. This helped secure critical contracts with large financial companies by leveraging machine learning and investment background.
Value Investing Modeling Expert
- Reviewed DYF's website to upgrade the user experience regarding GUI and content provided to users.
- Performed valuation model review, particularly identified weaknesses and proposed solutions to enhance it, including a new approach to using revenue consensus figures. A new WACC calculation methodology was introduced, among many others.
- Gave scoring model recommendations: outlier treatment, data normalization, ML model selection, and cross-validation, among many others.
- Provided ideas to enhance the DYF model in the future, e.g., EVA, sector-specific model, etc.
Portfolio Manager | Equity Analyst
- Involved in analytical and portfolio management, as well as the executive duties of Jefferies International's proprietary trading desk.
- Enhanced stock screening, strategy, and back-testing proprietary tools to shortlist long and short ideas (e.g., using conventional and alternative data to construct systematic screens and filter ideas more efficiently).
- Built proprietary tools using Python to enhance the desk workflow (e.g., developing a Python app with a user-friendly GUI to monitor and screen short positions and opportunities in real time).
- Performed regular portfolio management tasks (e.g., rebalancing, net and gross exposure risk management, derivative hedging, performance attribution analysis, and order execution) using discretionary trading and algorithmic order routing.
- Authored concise market comments daily for distribution to the head of sales and trading, which covered asset class moves, top stock movers, and a brief overview of hot topics that drove headlines.
Head of Equities
London & Capital
- Led a team of two junior analysts responsible for long-only and absolute return long/short equity mandates, delivering compounded annual growth of 15% to 18% and achieving Sharpe ratios of 1.8x to 2.0x for an institutional client base.
- Increased AUM from less than $200 million to over $1 billion. Attained several industry awards, such as the "Alternative Investment Awards - Best Global Equity Strategy distributed in the UK" in 2015 and 2016.
- Built the investment process for multiple in-house equity strategies using a 3-pillar approach: an ML-powered stock screener, a systematic "quantamental" scoring pillar, and a disciplined, bottom-up analysis pillar.
- Conducted an in-depth analysis of thematic basket trends that resulted in superior returns from investing in secular trends, such as cybersecurity, obesity, robotics, IoT, or renewable energy.
- Involved in the origination, due diligence, negotiation, and execution of private deals. The due diligence conducted was praised by investors as multiple fraudulent corporate cases were successfully detected, including Powa Technologies.
- Developed ESG criteria to launch a long-only portfolio in 2013, which allowed the firm to attract substantial new assets and jump ahead of competitors before the inception of the current ESG bull market.
- Delivered training to junior staff and seminars to clients, including family offices, pension plans, and UHNWI. Some of the topics were applied AI and ML, financial statement analysis, forensic accounting, corporate finance, and quantitative methods.
BNP Paribas AM
- Performed in-depth sector and industry analysis. This included interviewing stakeholders and examining macro drivers, supply chain, supply and demand dynamics, and degree of competitiveness (HHI, competitors, new entrants, and structural threats).
- Conducted intensive financial modeling, which included financial statements, adjustments and projections, fundamental ratio analysis, forensic accounting analysis, and valuation.
- Covered companies within the industrial, technology, consumer, and telecommunication sectors in North America, UK, and Europe, with the capacity to provide monitoring and regular model updating of approximately 40 to 50 live ideas in portfolios.
- Performed idea generation for derivative strategies for hedging and directional purposes using a proprietary model. The model considered multiple inputs (moneyness, implied volatility cheapness, etc.) and was backed by scholarly research.
- Built a pair trading surveillance model for stocks under coverage using a quantitative approach, including vector autoregression (VAR), the Engle-Granger approach, backtesting, and daily surveillance of the significant pairs with automated signals.
Master's Degree in Data Science and Machine Learning
New York Data Science Academy - New York, USA
Bachelor's Degree in Applied Mathematics - Game Theory
London School of Economics and Political Science - London, UK
Master's Degree in Finance
AFI Business School - Madrid, Spain
Bachelor's Degree in Business & Economics
University of Alicante - Alicante, Spain
Certificate in Quantitative Finance (CQF)
CF30 - Portfolio Management and Investment Analysis - Controlled Function
FCA - Financial Conduct Authority (UK)
Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA)
Investment Management Certificate
CFA Institute, United Kingdom
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring