Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
Member since August 3, 2017
Dani is a qualified actuary (FASSA) and worked as a consultant for PwC and Alexander Forbes. He recently started his own actuarial firm which gives him the flexibility to freelance and to apply his actuarial skills to a wider range of problems. Dani has built models and reports for a number of the biggest banks and listed companies in South Africa.
- Actuary, Founder2017 - PRESENTFive2two Actuaries
Focus areas: Employee Benefits Valuations, Data Analysis, Business Development, Actuarial, Pensions
- Built discounted cash flow models incorporating employee turnover, mortality, and other statistical features to value employee benefits.
- Developed standard valuation reports which are used to detail the results of valuations and analyses performed.
- Built a property valuation model to calculate the NPV and IRR for any property.
- Designed and stood up the company website.
- Actuary, Senior Actuarial Analyst2015 - 2017Alexander Forbes
Focus areas: Employee Benefits Valuations, Damages Quantum Valuations, Financial Modeling, Employee Benefits Consulting, Data Analysis, Actuarial, Pensions
- Valued and determined accounting disclosures for dozens of defined-benefit employee benefit schemes for companies' financial statements. Clients included many of the largest listed companies in South Africa.
- Valued over a hundred loss of support and loss of earnings claims of people involved in accidents.
- Built an automated membership data checking model.
- Initiated a department-wide efficiency drive to improve processes and standardize models.
- Created a model for a large financial services firm to assist them in changing the remuneration structure for their employees.
- Built a model for a large media company to launch an emergency savings fund for their employees.
- Consultant2014 - 2015PwC
Focus areas: Financial Model Auditing, Banking Credit Models, Employee Benefits Valuations, Financial Modeling, Insurance Company Auditing, Actuarial
- Developed a custom model to calculate the future employee benefits costs for an African Defence Force.
- Rebuilt models for three of South Africa's largest banks to determine the provisions to be held for defaults against their loan books under IAS 39.
- Built a model to quantify the increase in pension costs resulting from a change to a remuneration structure for a large state-owned entity.
- Designed a number of custom technical reports detailing the findings of work performed.
- Audited discounted cash flow models, including capital project financial models in the renewable energy sector.
- Assisted in auditing a number of long and short-term insurers and pension funds.
- Analyzed data from a survey of insurance company executives throughout Africa.
- Helped compile a number of tenders to perform work for large state-owned enterprises.
- The Statistical Edge: Enhance Your Metrics with the Actuarial Valuation Method (Publication)Traditionally confined to the realms of insurance and pensions, actuaries are now branching out into the wider business world. The long-termist and statistical approach of actuarial science makes it an invaluable tool for recurring income businesses. This article looks at how, showing examples of usage within customer lifetime value and human resources.
- Bachelor's degree (Hons.) in Actuarial Science2012 - 2012Wits University - Johannesburg
- Bachelor's degree in Actuarial Science and Statistics2009 - 2011Wits University - Johannesburg
- Fellow of the Actuarial Society of South AfricaJANUARY 2017 - PRESENTActuarial Society of South Africa