Ekaterine (Kate) Papiashvili, ACCA, FMVA
Verified Expert in Finance
Kate is a finance expert with 10+ years of experience in Fractional CFO, FP&A, financial modeling, budgeting, and financial reporting. Before establishing a private financial consulting firm, she was a corporate risk officer at the largest bank in Georgia and a senior analyst at an FTSE 250 investment holding company with a $400+ million turnover. She started her career as an auditor at Deloitte. Kate is passionate about supporting her clients' growth and is ready to serve their needs.
- Managed the day-to-day operation of the finance team and helped drive business success by providing financial insights that led to better commercial decisions in a high-growth startup.
- Ensured the existing business ran smoothly and oversaw day-to-day operations by implementing sound financial and operational processes. The list of refined methods in two months' time included monthly billing, reporting, and forecasting.
- Created and maintained best-practice financial reporting to give the executive board visibility over the company's current and future financial status, including the P&L statement, cash flow management, and balance sheet.
- Created a revenue forecast using three approaches: target, top-down and bottom-up. These allowed various team members to better see their positions and strategies, including the CEO, VP of sales, HR, and project manager.
- Joined the company at incorporation; set up accounting, reporting, and analysis systems; supported the discussion of ideas for business growth; provided meaningful finance-related inputs helping strategic decisions and ensuring a two-digit growth rate.
- Helped the management to identify and track operating KPIs for the business. The CEO had a clear net profit target, and by creating a three-statement financial model, the main operational goals were clear.
- Conducted sensitivity and scenario analysis to take the company through the pandemics and ensure its further growth. Analysis revealed key factors that needed monitoring as they affected the cash flow and profitability the most.
- Served as a fractional CFO and controller at 10+ startups. Established accounting and reporting systems; introduced relevant financial controls; managed daily operations and supported long-term decision-making processes.
- Conducted thorough financial analysis by putting together financial statements, forecasts, flexible budgets, and analytical dashboards for more than 50 companies, including early-stage startups and entities with over $20 million in revenue.
- Facilitated fundraising of $30+ million for 10+ entities, devising business plans, financial models, and investor presentations. Industries included tech, manufacturing, services, retail, hospitality, healthcare, agriculture, and construction.
- Prepared complete packages of IFRS-compliant financial statements for tech, manufacturing, distribution, and retail businesses with over $50 million in turnovers.
- Facilitated 20+ self-development seminars in Georgia and Finland. The goal of the Leo Institute is to support individuals in learning to create their lives instead of being at the mercy of others, events, and themselves.
- Coached 100+ individuals attending business seminars. The goal of the Leo Institute's business direction is to enable companies to create a culture of "Working Together" and a culture of "Leadership" that leads to breaking silos and high employee engagement.
- Coached 100+ individuals on personal development topics, including communication, planning, goal setting, conducting difficult conversations, and resolving conflicts.
- Joined the company at an early startup stage as Fractional CFO and supported its growth to an ongoing revenue exceeding $2 million. Set up and maintained initial accounting, reporting, and control systems.
- Provided ongoing monitoring of all finance-related processes, including review of methods and control systems, analysis of financial statements and operating data, cash flow management, and ad-hoc support as needed by the management.
- Established budgets and analyzed actual results against budgeted figures to monitor deviations and control the operations, ensuring the company effectively manages its cash. Raised $250,000 to finance business expansion.
- Prepared internal financial reports for decision-making purposes, including weekly, monthly, and annual financial statements. Also prepared external financial reports for audit purposes per IFRS.
International Black Sea University
- Delivered core courses in finance to more than 300 undergraduate and postgraduate students for five years. Courses include Financial Reporting, Consolidated Financial Reporting, Managerial Finance, and Investment Analysis.
- Mentored a team of seven students that won second place at a national business case competition reviewing Harvard Business Case. The case was about business evaluation and supported the preparation of the financial forecast and business valuation.
- Gained a certification for IFRS for SME coaching and partnered with European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) to deliver three courses on IFRS for 50+ practitioner accountants from SMEs in various cities in Georgia in 2019.
Post-merger Process Analyst
- Prepared a detailed description and analysis of the company's internal processes related to finance and supply chain within a month. The main challenge was gathering the data, as most process owners had left the company during the merger.
- Identified major issues in the process flow, resulting in incorrect financial numbers and challenging the external audit. I found ways to resolve the issue by implementing alternative software.
- Presented suggestions for resolving the issues to the top management. After agreeing on a course of action, I supported the integration of additional software by managing the project, including people from the supply chain, accounting, and IT.
Corporate Risk Manager
JSC Bank of Georgia
- Built and analyzed detailed financial models and forecasts, including P&L, balance sheet, cash flow, sensitivity analysis, risk assessment, and valuation for over 100 clients' loan applications with a total value of over $500 million.
- Evaluated over 100 corporate clients' loan applications with a total amount of over $500 million. As a result, creating a loan portfolio of over $200 million with a concentration in real estate, hospitality, manufacturing, retail, and wholesale.
- Launched NBG, a requirement for commercial banks entailing the conduction of a detailed stress-test analysis for loan clients. I created a financial model from scratch, analyzed a portfolio of $2 billion, and successfully passed the evaluation.
BGEO Group | Georgia Capital
- Served as a senior financial analyst in the reporting, budgeting, and analytics department of BGEO Group—a holding listed among the largest 250 companies on the London Stock Exchange (FTSE 250).
- Prepared weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual managerial reports covering more than 200 entities for the Group's management. The reports included P&L analysis, forecasts, budgets, liquidity, covenants, FOREX, and analytical dashboards.
- Prepared reports for external investors and the public, including audited financial statements, annual reports, and investor presentations for a holding listed among the largest 250 companies on the London Stock Exchange (FTSE 250).
- Served as the head of a subsidiary's reporting, budgeting, and forecasting in the food and beverage sector with over $15 million in revenue. Implemented an effective reporting system, external reporting functions, and audit procedures.
- Appointed as an intermediate controller for six months to implement systems and procedures in a subsidiary manufacturing beverages, which was on the verge of failing an audit because a new accounting and reporting system was not set up properly.
- Prepared business process descriptions and analyses for clients. These included detailed reports of operations flow, documents, and control mechanisms for manufacturing, services, and retail industries with over $200 million in turnover.
- Participated in testing, preparing financial statements, and audit reports per IFRS for 10+ clients in various sectors, including manufacturing, services, and retail, with a turnover of over $200 million.
- Performed detailed control environment reviews and testing for multiple business cycles to ensure that robust processes were implemented for 10+ clients in sectors including manufacturing, services, and retail, with a turnover of over $200 million.
Master's Degree in Business Analytics: Operational Research and Risk Analysis
The University of Manchester - Manchester, England, UK
Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration
Free University of Tbilisi - Tbilisi, Georgia
Capital Markets & Securities Analyst (CMSA®)
Corporate Finance Institute (CFI)
Commercial Banking & Credit Analyst (CBCA)
Corporate Finance Institute (CFI)
Financial Modeling & Valuation Analyst (FMVA)
Corporate Finance Institute (CFI)
CFA Program Participant, Completed Level II
Association of Chartered Certified Accountants