Verified Expert in Finance
Management Consulting Expert
Gavin has spent 15 years building and growing companies from scratch to profitability. At Peregrine, he successfully established new hedge funds and raised R1 billion in new assets. As a freelance financial expert, Gavin specializes in advising B2C and B2B mobile commerce and mobile app businesses to maximize cost per acquisition, ROI and sales via data-driven analysis, business modeling, and building customized KPI dashboards.
Founder | CEO
- Co-established a new business in the wall art market, growing to over $2 million in sales in two years.
- Made design of Storyboards' entire eCommerce site, marketing funnels, and email systems, including task automation.
- Created and implemented the marketing automation as well as underlying databases.
- Designed and implemented all KPI monitoring tools and services used to run the business.
Founder | Director
Blue Private Equity
- Built a sophisticated financial model to value potential investments worth between $5 million and $15 million.
- Directed valuations to assist investors in five private company acquisitions valued at $12 million.
- Performed due diligence on business and financial aspects of a fund for high net worth (HNW) investors.
- Mentored CEOs in financial and business planning and monitored portfolio companies.
- Designed and implemented the fund's reporting framework and infographics.
- Founded the fund and played an instrumental role in forming the effective management team.
Founder | CEO
Halyard Consulting and Investments
- Created and pioneered a number of innovative financial products servicing the hedge fund community.
- Provided hedge funds with detailed analyses of risk profiles and competitive products within the short-term interest rate environment.
- Raised over $100 million in assets from managers for our cash management product.
- Created and managed all the necessary compliance and risk systems to run the business.
- Negotiated a number of key agreements with large banks and asset managers on behalf of fund managers.
- Built a detailed financial model focused on customer acquisition.
- Implemented data mining technology to report on all areas of the business.
- Developed a conversational commerce bot to generate leads and sales in a Facebook messenger environment.
- Built complex reporting systems to enable the real-time tracking of the system performance.
- Developed an integrated marketing outbound system to manage the generated leads.
Wire Machine Technologies (WMT)
- Managed the company, together with the founder, gearing it up for rapid growth both on the production floor as well as in product sales.
- Modeled the financial aspects of the business for new clients and products with a focus on balancing sales growth and profitability.
- Pitched to investors and managed the entire fundraising process—from preparing the necessary material (deck) to term sheet negotiation.
- Designed and programmed a comprehensive Excel-based dashboard to monitor daily business activities.
- Reported to shareholders and other stakeholders via general meetings and formal reports, including statutory reporting and cap tables.
- Established a new division focused on clean energy and recycling; created the business and marketing plans for the business.
- Analyzed and modeled potential acquisitions and ROI of new equipment and production plants up to $50 million, specifically in the recycling and waste-to-energy space.
- Pioneered a new form of corporate debt within the impact investing community. Negotiated terms for the debt to the value of $40 million.
- Designed and built pricing models, enabling staff at all levels to buy and sell recyclables.
- Created the deck and pitched it to a number of potential investors.
Peregrine Investment Managers
- Established ten new hedge funds covering a wide range of strategies, including long/short, market neutral, arbitrage, and fixed income.
- Raised over R1 billion of new assets for the respective hedge funds.
- Designed and built performance fee models to manage the hedge fund business.
- Built and modeled risk management systems used by new hedge funds, specifically for bond and derivatives markets.
- Performed due diligence and performance attribution on potential new hedge funds and funds of funds.
- Built automated real-time reporting engines for reporting fund performance to clients.
- Managed an SAP project involving over 25 staff for an upgrade at a large financial institution.
- Led an SAP global team for the Oil and Gas vertical at an Andersen/SAP Center of Excellence in Europe.
- Programmed over 100 specialized modules in C+, Assembly, and ABAP (SAP), writing over 100 specialized programs for clients.
- Developed a deep IT expertise in the financial and logistics SAP modules.
- Built a comprehensive business plan and process models for the glass manufacturing industry.
Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) in Finance
CFA Institute - USA
Bachelor of Science (BSc) Degree in Mechanical Engineering
University of the Witwatersrand - Johannesburg, South Africa