Verified Expert in Finance
George has worked on M&A, IPO, and fixed income transactions with a cumulative deal value of $20+ billion at renowned Wall Street banks including Salomon Brothers and Morgan Stanley. A Fulbright scholar, George is active in the fintech startup sector and was on the management committee of Houston’s largest independent bank. At Toptal, he enjoys refining business models and optimizing financing structures to maximize flexibility and profitability.
Financial Technology Startup Investor Presentation
Distressed Hotel Development Investor Presentation
Solar Company EPC
- Managed finance, accounting, legal, and HR functions as the company grew from $1 million to over $30 million in annual revenues in two years.
- Helped raise over $3 million in debt and equity from both institutional and angel investors.
- Negotiated the acquisition of a residential solar construction firm that was transformational to the company's growth strategy.
Financial Balance, LLC
- Created Our Libra (Ourlibra.com), a data-driven, automated personal finance advisor and consumer lender focused on helping middle-class Americans optimize their savings, investments, and debt.
- Introduced a monthly subscription model and grew the monthly active user count to 3,000+ users.
- Created credit risk models designed to underwrite consumer loans based on checking account transaction data without referencing credit reports.
- Formed partnership with a term life insurance provider to generate leads and negotiated a profit-sharing model with a credit improvement company.
- Built a financial model to guide internal development priorities and support external fundraising.
Thailand Real Estate Developer
- Structured institutional financings for $100+ million in condominium and hotel projects.
- Advised accounting and legal teams on preparations for possible IPO.
- Built financial models, presenting projections to institutional equity and commercial lenders for prospective transactions.
- Analyzed and advised on potential partnerships with other real estate developers.
Co-founder | CEO
Foodie Shares, Inc.
- Created the "Foodie Shares" iOS app, which became America’s largest marketplace for peer-to-peer homemade food.
- Managed a highly sophisticated platform, including a peer marketplace, payments, inventory management, messaging, and social tools.
- Created financial models and investor presentations to support fundraising and growth, successfully raising $250,000+ in seed funding to build out a team of nine employees and drive user acquisition.
- Recruited chefs and users at large food-related events on a regular basis.
- Created the "Real Estate Investing Analyst," which was the top real estate investing app in the Apple App Store from 2012-2017 and actively participated in San Francisco's financial technology startup scene.
- Created "Libra: Asset & Debt Manager" for the iPhone, helping users manage their bills and optimize their assets and debt in a manner similar to asset/liability management in banking, learning how to code and build iOS applications.
- Converted complex Excel-based financial models into consumer-friendly iOS-based apps.
Chief Financial Officer
Manila Mining & Trading Corporation
- Managed finances and negotiated contracts for 100,000+ tons of nickel to Chinese buyers.
- Led an IPO process for a listing on the Philippine Stock Exchange, which was granted preliminary approval, building financial models, negotiating with investment banks, and meeting with regulators.
- Established offshore trading entities to optimize tax liabilities.
- Negotiated lines of credit with banks in Singapore and mainland China to reinforce contract terms.
- Built financial models to determine breakeven points of different mining activities based on international commodity prices, shipping costs, and processing expenses.
Keefe, Bruyette & Woods
- Crafted creative financing structures, built financial models, coordinated due diligence, and helped negotiate a $600 million recapitalization of the largest thrift in Texas that held significant distressed asset holdings as a result of the financial crisis.
- Built financial models and peer analysis to help advise on the sale of regional broker-dealer to regional bank holding company.
- Built valuation models, drafted sections of an S-1 prospectus, and worked with regulators to help execute the $42 million initial public offerings ("IPO") of Houston-based Encore Bancshares.
- Supervised M&A as well as other corporate finance projects for a Southwest US client base while managing a team of associates and analysts in a high-stress environment.
- Built financial models, coordinated due diligence, managed a team of analysts and represented the firm in Detroit while staffed on the 51% sale of GMAC by General Motors, which the Wall Street Journal called the "most complex transaction in recent memory."
- Helped build valuations models, structure cross-border financing structures, and negotiate two Texas bank acquisitions by BBVA (Spain) totaling $2.6 billion.
- Wrote sections of the S-1 prospectus, worked with regulators and participated in the roadshow for the $600 million IPO of AerCap Holdings, one of the world's largest aircraft leasing companies.
- Covered 14 large financial institutions as a junior banker responsible for supervising and reviewing M&A and other corporate finance proposals and execution for coverage group.
- Managed and staffed the group’s 11 analysts as well as provided ongoing training.
Amegy Bank (formerly Southwest Bank of Texas)
- Led the acquisition of three banks for a total of $278 million without the help of outside advisors, building financial models, creating valuation analyses, proposing financing structures, and presenting to the board of directors.
- Optimized the bank's capital structure by helping execute three trust preferred and one subordinated debt issuance. These were the first in the bank's history and involved educating bank's senior leaders, the board of directors, and key investors before approval.
- Helped initiate the company's first dividend and dividend reinvestment program by building financial models, consulting with investment advisors, and presenting the benefits to the bank's board for approval.
- Served as the youngest member of the bank's management committee and helped analyze the financial viability of all significant internal projects and investments.
- Made quarterly presentations to the board of directors to provide updates on M&A strategy and capital structure.
- Helped coordinate merger integration efforts to make sure results were in line with the original projections during the M&A evaluation phase. Made changes to internal models based on what was learned to improve M&A analysis going forward.
- Worked with bank regulators on a quarterly basis to provide corporate finance and M&A updates.
Salomon Smith Barney
- Performed all projections and valuation analyses for $812 million Regions Financial—Morgan Keegan M&A deal.
- Performed all projections and valuation analyses for $802 million New York Community Bancorp—Richmond County M&A deal.
- Helped advise on $605 million sale of PNC's mortgage operation, which was the eighth largest in the country.
- Helped execute $167 million follow-on equity offering for Sovereign Bancorp by modeling potential capital structures and drafting the roadshow presentation.
- Authored, taught and revised the bank group’s most robust M&A model.
- Evaluated firm-wide acquisitions, business model changes, and new initiatives as a member of small internal strategy and consulting group.
The Corporate Executive Board
- Helped research and write quarterly strategic studies using senior bank executive interviews and self-designed Excel models.
U.S. Department of State
- Analyzed effects of economic liberalization on Tunisia’s political development.
- Demonstrated how larger global trends had a greater impact on Tunisia's economic development than local factors.
- Compared Tunisia's economic progress to government budget forecasts and IMF economic advice.
Political Section Intern
U.S. Department of State
- Analyzed India’s political and economic development through interviews with politicians, business leaders, and villagers.
- Calculated probabilities of electoral victories by the district in India's largest state of Uttar Pradesh through personal interviews and research, which in turn helped guide U.S. outreach toward key political figures.
- Reviewed key U.S. development programs with the U.S. ambassador to help determine overall effectiveness and potential improvements.
Bachelor's Degree in International Studies
Johns Hopkins University - Baltimore, MD, USA
Graduate Diploma in International Studies
Johns Hopkins SAIS - Bologna, Italy
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring