Verified Expert in Finance
Greg is an experienced finance and corporate development executive. He has led corporate development and finance teams at several technology companies, completing many acquisitions and divestitures. He has worked as a CFO and a consultant for both large public companies and smaller venture-backed businesses specializing in the technology and fintech sectors. Greg joined Toptal to leverage his experiences in finance, M&A, strategy, and business development.
- Advised emerging companies in the AI/ML space on fundraising initiatives and go-to-market strategies.
- Evaluated exit options for the company and evaluated IP for sale to a third party and managed wind down (employee termination) in conjunction with an independent director.
- Developed a SaaS reporting infrastructure and board reporting tools.
- Acted as a fractional CFO for a number of emerging technology companies, including NetSuite implementations and policy development.
- Raised multiple financing rounds (Seed and Series A) and term loan and venture debt facilities with Comerica and SVB.
Strategic and Financial Consulting
Marin Analytic Consulting
- Worked with a marketing technology company on initiatives, including creating a business and financial model, handling negotiations with potential investors, and establishing go-to-market strategies (e.g., constructed a SaaS pricing model, customer contract documentation, and more).
- Advised the CEO and majority shareholders of a risk analytics software company on strategic options, including initiating merger discussions and completing a detailed financial and strategic analysis with a company that had complementary technology.
- Developed a business planning program and initiated fundraising discussions between an innovative B2B trade credit solution startup and investors.
- Created an alliance program for a lending software solution to leverage solutions into new partner distribution channels.
- Advised a startup insurance pricing optimization company on various funding and strategic alternatives—resulting in its sale to an industry participant.
- Undertook an analysis of emerging market participants in the marketing technology field for a leading financial services technology company interested in assessing a roll-up acquisition program.
- Acted as interim CFO and strategy advisor to technology companies. Implemented ERP systems (Intacct, NetSuite, and Salesforce), developed SaaS reporting infrastructure, and created compensation plans for sales teams. Also created board reporting templates.
- Focused on advising growing companies in the predictive analytics and AI/ML space in the fintech and martech sectors developing tactics to productize technology and generate revenue.
Red Vision Systems
- Completed two Series-2 financing rounds with venture investors and a term loan and revolver banking facilities with the bank.
- Implemented new ERP systems for accounting (Intacct), HR (ADP) and CRM (Salesforce).
- Developed and implemented new FP&A and reporting processes for the board, senior management, and operating leaders; including daily and monthly dashboards of identified KPIs as well as monthly performance and budget variance analyses.
- Managed the relationships with professional services providers, including banks, auditors, and legal.
- Led human resources, accounting, and corporate development teams.
- Built and maintained a financial model for internal projections and external fundraising efforts.
- Executed three roll-up acquisitions to develop a national service coverage footprint.
Corporate Development and Strategy
Fair Isaac Corporation
- Developed the strategic case—initiated and managed the acquisition and integration of both public and private companies, totaling over $1.2 billion in value and growing the company approximately 400%.
- Executed the sale of several non-core business units aggregating over $100 million in value.
- Initiated and managed a $400 million convertible bond offering.
- Conducted investor roadshows, shared buyback programs and analyst relations programs.
- Initiated and managed a competitive intelligence function to monitor industry/competitor issues.
- Served as member of the board of directors of investee companies (Open Solutions Inc.) and LP representation (Azure Capital).
- Managed the strategic planning function, including analyses of proposed entry into new market segments (i.e., healthcare, retail, and insurance verticals).
- Developed and managed relationships with technology partners and grew the main partner to the number 3 position (after IBM and Accenture).
- Opened alliance offices in the UK, South East Asia, South America, and Australia to support international growth.
- Worked with an internal venture capital team to generate investment opportunities in order to capitalize on equity for a software business model.
Investment Banking and Strategy Executive
National Australia Bank
- Managed all elements of M&A transactions.
- Developed banks growth strategy.
- Implemented bank's venture investing program.
- Managed M&A team based in new office.
- Evaluated and executed bank's acquisitions in UK, NZ and US.
Bachelor's Degree in Economics
University of Sydney - Sydney, Australia
Fellow Securities Institute of Australia
Financial Services Institute of Australasia (FINSIA)
Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia