Verified Expert in Finance
Hudson has a broad financial experience as a trader, hedge fund equity analyst and portfolio manager, middle-market private equity associate, and director of finance for an enterprise SaaS startup. He is a strategic thinker adept at dealing with the details of a business or transaction. As a freelancer, Hudson enjoys exposure to a range of industries and business models while working with innovative management teams to advance solutions.
3-statement Model: SaaS Fintech
Super Legit LLC
- Built pro-forma model with stages and assumption toggles, cash burn, and valuation analysis for Creative Film Studios.
- Collaborated on investor pitch deck used to secure seed funding.
- Built fundraising machine, including segmented prospect lists, cadence and email campaigns, and mock investor meetings.
Hoff & Pepper Co, LLC
- Built a multi-stage pro forma 3-statement financial model with a valuation matrix and a scenario toggle.
- Created a bottom-up model that included specificity by SKU and distribution channel to communicate unit economics.
- Completed valuation report and proposed term structure used in the partner exit agreement.
Magma Capital Funds
- Built a pro forma three-statement model and investor pitch deck in advance of a successful funding round from venture capital.
- Built the financial widget used by the sales team to convey economic splits for target partners and worked with the sales engineer to build scale-able sales and customer success processes.
- Worked in a fund-of-funds manager role, screening, vetting, and ultimately originating a fund-of-fund product geared toward our RIA partners.
Black Sheep Analytics LLC
- Led product ideation from idea to MVP by incorporating expertise as a financial analyst (the target market).
- Worked with the designer and engineers to deliver the MVP. This required a clear explanation of the key financial concepts underlying the functionality delivered in a manner that was understandable to people without a financial background.
- Built a beta testing group in advance of the August 2023 launch.
Finance and Product Director
- Led the product team that built an alternative financial data platform from scratch.
- Scaled the platform from zero to 90,000 active monthly users in 14 months.
- Worked with engineering to build proprietary technology feeding the sales-and-sales marketing funnel.
H.R Leatherwood Corp.
- Created a multi-stage pro forma three-statement financial model ahead of Regulation Crowdfunding (Reg CF) fundraising.
- Formulated the community development plan ahead with the founder for Regulation Crowdfunding (Reg CF) offering.
- Completed market analysis including TAM/SAM/SOM, competitor matrix, and customer personas, and identified key distribution channels.
Financial Modeling Expert
- Supported founder with business plan optimization, financial projections, and analysis for a successful $3 million seed round led by Drive Capital.
- Distilled founder vision into a comprehensive, bottom-up, three-statement pro formal financial model.
- Forecasted marketing funnel and demand build, sales cycle, deferred revenue, cash flow, hiring, depreciation and amortization, cash burn, and valuation under multiple scenarios.
- Worked with the founder to determine TAM/SAM/SOM, optimal target market and use a persona, and product pricing.
Financial Modeling Expert
- Created a multi-stage pro forma 3-statement financial model ahead of seed fundraising.
- Worked with the founder to determine capital needs, optimal distribution locations, shipping, and cash flow management strategy.
- Completed a successful seed capital raise from family office investors.
- Worked with web developers, fulfillment, and accounting to create an integrated and reliable financial and inventory reporting stack.
- Created dashboards for daily reporting of sales, marketing, and inventory KPIs.
Da Vinci Eye, LLC.
- Built a multi-stage pro forma 3-statement financial model with a valuation matrix.
- Worked with the founder and CEO to prioritize product lines and created a strategy for secondary and tertiary revenue streams.
- Coached the founder and CEO on negotiation strategy ahead of the Shark Tank pitch. We determined the company could thrive without additional capital, strengthening its negotiating position.
- Implemented an investor communications process incorporating regular and intermittent updates. Created a parallel update scheme geared toward prospective investors.
- Worked with management to update the investment materials, financial model, and business narrative ahead of a Series B fundraiser.
- Designed a fundraising plan in advance of the upcoming Series B raise.
Financial Expert Network
- Collaborated with the AlphaSights team to identify key areas of investor interest before virtual meetings.
- Led discussions between the panel of industry experts and hedge fund and private equity investors, asset managers, and consultants.
- Addressed key areas of investor interest with panelists on call and distilled content into concise summaries.
- Advised on reorientating the business model, which resulted in a dramatically improved product market fit.
- Augmented the financing plan to reduce founder dilution while offering investors a more suitable investment vehicle.
- Collaborated with the accountant to optimize the pro forma model and sanity-check assumptions.
- Supported the acquisition of a competitor, resulting in the combined entity being a market leader in their trading technology niche.
- Built 12-month and three-year pro-forma model for the merged entity.
- Created clear and concise investor presentation used to finance the acquisition.
The Lost Draft LLC
- Built pro forma model for retail F&B concept pre-opening.
- Developed and demonstrated the importance of KPIs using a scenario analysis financial model.
- Recommended financial controls and budgeting and forecasting processes.
- Guided a business strategy related to a single-family real estate portfolio using a scenario analysis financial model.
- Forecasted company and investor returns using the Waterfall cash flow model.
- Led negotiations with a long-term financial partner.
- Advised on construction acquisition and other non-real estate M&A deals.
XMT Construction, Inc
- Engaged with the client on thorough business model due diligence to fully understand the investment opportunity.
- Conducted market research to determine product market fit, Total Addressable Market (TAM), and Serviceable Addressable Market (SAM).
- Constructed investor presentation, including formatting and content used to pitch seed-stage VCs.
Magellan Research Group
- Built a financial model incorporating multiple scenarios for a 7-year-old, $2.5 million annual revenue, cash flow positive, bottom-up market research group.
- Managed relationships with prospective lending partners financing the growth phase.
- Collaborated with the CEO to build a new product line that would likely be spun off as a separate business.
Head of Financial Planning and Analysis
Hand Barell Bourbon
- Built the financial model used for the seed fundraising round (in the process).
- Collaborated with the client through an iterative process to add specificity around inventory and cash flow.
- Advised on the ideal financing structure at various stages of the forecasted business maturity.
MeleChain Blockchain Platform
- Built a token economics model to forecast the impact on market prices under various scenarios.
- Collaborated with the tech and product team to align product development with the required token economics.
- Worked with regulators on behalf of the client to ensure compliance and obtain necessary approvals.
- Built the pricing model for RFID-based industrial warehouse automation software plus a hardware solution.
- Worked with the founder to ascertain the core value-add and estimate market size and new product potential.
- Built a financial model for short and intermediate-term cash flow needs under various scenarios.
- Integrated marketing and financial data to restructure KPIs.
- Built the full profit and loss forecasts using new KPIs.
- Modeled out the sales and marketing funnel using Excel.
- Cleaned up the capitalization table and advised on the financing impact.
- Used the model to raise a $2,100,000 seed round led by 500 startups.
Banyan Hill Publishing
- Launched a financial newsletter focused on the IPO/SPAC market.
- Was a member of the senior editorial team that generated $10,000,000+ subscriber revenues and was the largest at the company.
- Generated investment analysis and composed copy related to upcoming and recent IPOs.
Consultant, Real Estate Developer
- Built a financial model for pre-funding a real estate development venture.
- Consulted development experts in the community on best practices.
- Worked with marketing and the founding team to determine product/market fit.
- Built a token economics model for innovative user-owned services marketplace.
- Constructed a financial model used to obtain ~$20 million in Series A funding.
- Developed the KPIs used to monitor business performance.
- Oversaw a successful $1 million growth capital raise.
- Built a bottom-up financial model, including forecast scenarios around net income and cash flow.
- Cleaned the capitalization table and migrated to Carta, a cap table management software platform.
- Identified and screened eventual investors and negotiated terms.
- Worked with legal counterparts to negotiate and edit investment documents and sales agreements.
- Oversaw the integration between two investor portfolio companies.
- Managed the team through merger, rebranding, and restructuring.
- Led the on-demand microdata product and interfaced with the quant data analytics team to build an integrated product offering.
- Outlined options for supplementing existing consumer data survey platform with blockchain tech.
- Integrated a survey company with a big data company after a merger.
- Integrated two teams post-merger on behalf of senior management.
- Identified several investors who came in at various stages and/or will be coming in at the next stage.
- Built a financial model using top-down assumptions. Currently, revising to incorporate data around ROI on marketing and sales resources.
- Helped to identify a new product line concentrated on managing excess inventory that is currently the focus of the business, contributing to business model rationalization.
- Created forward budgets under various financing scenarios.
- Worked with leaders of logistics/operations, marketing, sales, and technology to model resource needs and return on investment.
- Evaluated businesses and determined optimal investment structures based on enterprise value and deal feasibility.
- Originated a presentation used to educate current financial partners then worked towards obtaining LOI and term-sheet and set up a data room for conducting due diligence.
- Negotiated terms working with management and legal on both sides of transactions.
- Worked on transactions that typically involved companies with $5-30 million in EBITDA—either raising capital for growth or acquisitions or selling a controlling interest.
- Sourced deals using a network of attorneys, accountants, entrepreneurs, and advisors.
Senior Equity Analyst
- Managed the Asia-and-emerging-markets portion of the $3 billion+ Tamarack Fund, a non-US long/short equity hedge fund. Generated significant alpha from the bucket commingled with the larger fund.
- Advanced from junior analyst to senior analyst and eventually to junior portfolio manager over six years.
- Grew fund AUM over 20x during tenure, helping the fund make the Barrons List of Top 50 Hedge Funds in 2007.
Nanodegree in Business Analyst
Udacity - Remote
Advanced Graduate Degree in Real Estate
New York University - New York, NY, USA
Bachelor's Degree in Economics
Lafayette College - Easton, PA, USA
Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA)
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring