Verified Expert in Finance
Hudson has a broad financial experience as a trader, hedge fund equity analyst and portfolio manager, middle-market private equity associate, and director of finance for an enterprise SaaS startup. He is a strategic thinker adept at dealing with the details of a business or transaction. As a freelancer, Hudson enjoys exposure to a range of industries and business models while working with innovative management teams to advance solutions.
Magma Capital Funds
- Built a pro forma three-statement model and investor pitch deck in advance of a successful funding round from venture capital.
- Built the financial widget used by the sales team to convey economic splits for target partners and worked with the sales engineer to build scale-able sales and customer success processes.
- Worked in a fund-of-funds manager role, screening, vetting, and ultimately originating a fund-of-fund product geared toward our RIA partners.
Black Sheep Analytics LLC
- Led product ideation from idea to MVP by incorporating expertise as a financial analyst (the target market).
- Worked with the designer and engineers to deliver the MVP. This required a clear explanation of the key financial concepts underlying the functionality delivered in a manner that was understandable to people without a financial background.
- Built a beta testing group in advance of the August 2023 launch.
- Implemented an investor communications process incorporating regular and intermittent updates. Created a parallel update scheme geared toward prospective investors.
- Worked with management to update the investment materials, financial model, and business narrative ahead of a Series B fundraiser.
- Designed a fundraising plan in advance of the upcoming Series B raise.
Financial Expert Network
- Collaborated with the AlphaSights team to identify key areas of investor interest before virtual meetings.
- Led discussions between the panel of industry experts and hedge fund and private equity investors, asset managers, and consultants.
- Addressed key areas of investor interest with panelists on call and distilled content into concise summaries.
Finance and Product Director
- Led the product team that built an alternative financial data platform from scratch.
- Scaled the platform from zero to 90,000 active monthly users in 14 months.
- Worked with engineering to build proprietary technology feeding the sales-and-sales marketing funnel.
Financial Modeling Expert
- Created a multi-stage pro forma three-statement financial model ahead of seed fundraising.
- Worked with the founder to determine capital needs, optimal distribution locations, shipping, and cash flow management strategy.
- Completed a successful seed capital raise from family office investors.
Da Vinci Eye, LLC.
- Built a multi-stage pro forma three-statement financial model with a valuation matrix.
- Worked with the founder and CEO to prioritize product lines and created a strategy for secondary and tertiary revenue streams.
- Coached the founder and CEO on negotiation strategy ahead of the Shark Tank pitch. We determined the company could thrive without additional capital, strengthening its negotiating position.
- Advised on reorientating the business model, which resulted in a dramatically improved product market fit.
- Augmented the financing plan to reduce founder dilution while offering investors a more suitable investment vehicle.
- Collaborated with the accountant to optimize the pro forma model and sanity-check assumptions.
- Supported the acquisition of a competitor, resulting in the combined entity being a market leader in their trading technology niche.
- Built 12-month and three-year pro-forma model for the merged entity.
- Created clear and concise investor presentation used to finance the acquisition.
- Worked with management to re-engineer the financing structure driving the business model.
- Shifted strategy from full equity financing to asset-based financing that is expected to dramatically reduce dilution.
- Worked with the team to augment the investor presentation materials as needed.
The Lost Draft LLC
- Built pro forma model for retail F&B concept pre-opening.
- Developed and demonstrated the importance of KPIs using a scenario analysis financial model.
- Recommended financial controls and budgeting and forecasting processes.
- Guided a business strategy related to a single-family real estate portfolio using a scenario analysis financial model.
- Forecasted company and investor returns using the Waterfall cash flow model.
- Led negotiations with a long-term financial partner.
- Advised on construction acquisition and other non-real estate M&A deals.
XMT Construction, Inc
- Engaged with the client on thorough business model due diligence to fully understand the investment opportunity.
- Conducted market research to determine product market fit, Total Addressable Market (TAM), and Serviceable Addressable Market (SAM).
- Constructed investor presentation, including formatting and content used to pitch seed-stage VCs.
[Undisclosed] Financial Research Group
- Built a financial model incorporating multiple scenarios for a seven-year-old, $2.5 million annual revenue, cash flow positive, bottom-up market research group.
- Managed relationships with prospective lending partners financing the growth phase.
- Collaborated with the CEO to build a new product line that would likely be spun off as a separate business.
Financial Planning and Analysis
Hand Barell Bourbon
- Built the financial model used for the seed fundraising round (in the process).
- Collaborated with the client through an iterative process to add specificity around inventory and cash flow.
- Advised on the ideal financing structure at various stages of the forecasted business maturity.
Self-employed, Blockchain Platform Client
- Built a token economics model to forecast the impact on market prices under various scenarios.
- Collaborated with the tech and product team to align product development with the required token economics.
- Worked with regulators on behalf of the client to ensure compliance and obtain necessary approvals.
- Built the pricing model for RFID-based industrial warehouse automation software plus a hardware solution.
- Worked with the founder to ascertain the core value-add and estimate market size and new product potential.
- Built a financial model for short and intermediate-term cash flow needs under various scenarios.
- Integrated marketing and financial data to restructure KPIs.
- Built the full profit and loss forecasts using new KPIs.
- Modeled out the sales and marketing funnel using Excel.
- Cleaned up the capitalization table and advised on the financing impact.
- Used the model to raise a $2,100,000 seed round led by 500 startups.
Banyan Hill Publishing
- Launched a financial newsletter focused on the IPO/SPAC market.
- Acted as a member of the senior editorial team that generated $10,000,000+ subscriber revenues and was the largest at the company.
- Generated investment analysis and composed copy related to upcoming and recent IPOs.
Consultant, Real Estate Developer
- Built a financial model for pre-funding a real estate development venture.
- Consulted development experts in the community on best practices.
- Worked with marketing and the founding team to determine product/market fit.
- Built a token economics model for innovative user-owned services marketplace.
- Constructed a financial model used to obtain ~$20 million in Series A funding.
- Developed the KPIs used to monitor business performance.
- Oversaw a successful $1-million growth capital raise.
- Built from the bottom-up a financial model including forecast scenarios around net income and cash flow.
- Cleaned up the capitalization table and migrated to Carta, a cap table management software platform.
- Identified and screened eventual investors and negotiated terms.
- Worked with legal counterparts to negotiate and edit investment documents.
- Oversaw the integration between two investor portfolio companies.
- Managed the team through merger, rebranding, and restructuring.
- Led the on-demand microdata product and interfaced with the quant data analytics team to build an integrated product offering.
- Outlined options for supplementing existing consumer data survey platform with blockchain tech.
- Integrated a survey company with a big data company after a merger.
- Integrated two teams post-merger on behalf of senior management.
- Identified several investors who came in at various stages and/or will be coming in at the next stage.
- Built a financial model using top-down assumptions. Currently, revising to incorporate data around ROI on marketing and sales resources.
- Helped to identify a new product line concentrated on managing excess inventory that is currently the focus of the business, contributing to business model rationalization.
- Created forward budgets under various financing scenarios.
- Worked with leaders of logistics/operations, marketing, sales, and technology to model resource needs and return on investment.
- Evaluated businesses and determined optimal investment structures based on enterprise value and deal feasibility.
- Originated a presentation used to educate current financial partners then worked towards obtaining LOI and term-sheet and set up a data room for conducting due diligence.
- Negotiated terms working with management and legal on both sides of transactions.
- Worked on transactions that typically involved companies with $5-30 million in EBITDA—either raising capital for growth or acquisitions or selling a controlling interest.
- Sourced deals using a network of attorneys, accountants, entrepreneurs, and advisors.
Senior Equity Analyst
- Managed the Asia-and-emerging-markets portion of the $3 billion+ Tamarack Fund, a non-US long/short equity hedge fund. Generated significant alpha from the bucket commingled with the larger fund.
- Advanced from junior analyst to senior analyst and eventually to junior portfolio manager over six years.
- Grew fund AUM over 20x during tenure, helping the fund make the Barrons List of Top 50 Hedge Funds in 2007.
Nanodegree in Business Analyst
Udacity - Remote
Advanced Graduate Degree in Real Estate
New York University - New York, NY, USA
Bachelor's Degree in Economics
Lafayette College - Easton, PA, USA
Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA)