Spartanburg, SC, United States
Toptal Member Since
July 27, 2017
Jake has participated in M&A transactions exceeding $500 million and performed valuations for companies of all maturities. A Vanderbilt graduate and CFA charterholder, Jake has extensive experience working with founders and senior executives of professional services and manufacturing companies to unlock the true value of their company. As a freelancer, Jake enjoys advising clients on complex issues of valuation, M&A, and financial strategy.
Jacob is available for hireHire Jacob
Investment Banking Consultant
Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA)
Food Service Valuation
Go Private Transaction and Valuation
Due DiligenceM&A ModelingMergers & Acquisitions (M&A)Private Company ValuationLeveraged Buyout ModelingManagement Buyout Finance+ 3 more
Online Dating Investor Presentation
Pitch BooksPitch DecksRevenue ModelingValuationComparable Company AnalysisTransaction Comparables
Industry ExpertiseBusiness ServicesFinanceManufacturingFinancial Modeling
Software ExpertiseCapital IQ
Other ExpertiseDCF ValuationFinancial ModelingM&A ModelingPitch DecksPro Forma Financial StatementsThree-statement Modeling
2016 - PRESENT
- Worked with the executive team to develop corporate strategy and built the corresponding financial model to double company revenues in three years, from $500 million to $1 billion.
- Built a detailed acquisition model to better assess the overall impact of future company acquisitions.
- Served as the financial lead on plant consolidation, which included financial modeling, budgeting, and cost control.
- Built a financial model for the successful divestiture of a $150 million European business unit that was presented to the Board of Directors.
- Created a 13-week cash flow forecast for the company to better assess working capital and capital expenditure needs.
Focus areas: Controller, Budgeting, Cash Flow Modeling, 13-week Cash Flow, Cash Flow Forecasting, Finance Strategy, Pitch Decks, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), M&A Modeling
2014 - 2016
Investment Banking Consultant
- Developed models for trading, transaction, discounted cash flow analysis, dividend discounting, and leveraged buyouts to assess the financial viability of small-cap Chinese listed manufacturing and technology firms.
- Developed a pitch deck for a private equity firm with $1 billion in assets, considering an equity investment or potential buyout of Tinder, an online dating app.
- Prepared valuation, three statement operating model, and pitch deck for an early stage, venture composite manufacturer in the southeast US seeking $10 million in Series A capital.
- Developed valuation models for a hedge fund to assess the feasibility of a management buyout by a client company to determine whether hedge fund shareholders would benefit more from the management buyout or the going concern of the client company.
- Prepared initiating coverage equity research reports for small and micro-cap public companies in the oil and gas and apparel sectors.
Focus areas: Three-statement Modeling, Investor Presentations, Equity Valuation, Private Equity Valuation, Valuation Analysis, Valuation Multiples, Valuation Modeling, Purchase Price Allocation, Pitch Decks, Investment Memoranda, Investment Portfolio Management, Portfolio Analysis, M&A Modeling, Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A)
2011 - 2013
- Developed financial models such as sensitivity analysis, cash flow, and valuation to the executive team for expanding the company’s product portfolio from short-term loans to prepaid cards, wire transfer, and longer-term installment loans.
- Led the financial team in a successful $100 million divestiture of the UK subsidiary. Developed discounted cash flow, comparable transactions, and comparable company valuation models to determine the sale price.
- Established reporting procedures for regional and divisional management to provide up-to-date results for all products.
- Assisted the management in the review and update of loan disclosures for compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Audited the fixed asset processes and provided alternatives to improve lease smoothing and inventory monitoring systems.
Focus areas: Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Cash Flow Forecasting, Financial Model Auditing, Financial Modeling, Valuation Analysis, Valuation Modeling, Pro Forma Financial Statements, Integrated Financial Statements, Financial Statements, Strategy, Financial Regulations
Corporate Tax Reform and the Future of Valuation
Corporate Tax Reform and the Future of Valuation – Part II
2013 - 2014
Master's Degree in Business Valuation and Accounting
Vanderbilt University - Nashville, TN, USA
2011 - 2013
Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) in Investment Analysis
CFA Institute - Charlottesville, VA, USA
2007 - 2011
Bachelor's Degree in Corporate Finance
Clemson University - Clemson, SC, USA