Verified Expert in Finance
James is a seasoned finance professional with broad experience in pricing and strategic analysis, FP&A, investment banking, and investment management. He is the CFO of AT&T Southern California. Previously, he was the lead finance partner for a $100+ million global capital project at Capital Group. James joined the Toptal network to work on challenging projects with talented people.
CFO of Southern California
- Oversaw a portfolio of ~10 million subscribers in postpaid, prepaid, video, and broadband, and manage 350 stores in Southern California–the largest of 18 markets at AT&T—generating $3.6+ billion in the annual wireless service revenue.
- Saw the share of gross ads (SOGA) climb from third place to first place during my tenure while growing market share and being port positive to both Verizon and T-Mobile.
- Performed rigorous analysis on network spend ($500+ million per annum) to generate the highest return on invested capital by increasing subscribers and penetration rates in both wireless and fiber.
- Optimized staffing for 1,500+ in-store FTEs to reduce wait times and increase productivity per selling FTE from 45 to 55.
- Partnered closely with various product teams and business units across AT&T to drive growth and reduce churn.
- Bolstered performance through monthly reporting packages and weekly outlier calls with staff, addressing not only tonnage but also the quality of sales.
- Built in-depth battle plans and presented them to senior executives semi-annually.
- Created optimal pricing and cost models for American Funds Service Company, affecting millions of accounts responsible for generating hundreds of millions in annual revenue while minimizing impact to thousands of FTEs and fund expense ratios.
- Built a robust, complex model that runs scenario analysis for Project Falcon, a $100+ million company-wide fixed income project involving hundreds of people across IT and investment operations, saving the project team 400+ hours.
- Conducted an in-depth pricing strategy analysis for retirement plan services and implemented a comprehensive pricing change to increase the contribution margin by double digits within two years.
- Completed an in-depth cost study across five legal entities for strategic sourcing and procurement that is responsible for managing and influencing over $1 billion in annual third-party spend across Capital Group.
- Implemented a new global policy for identifying at-risk vendors and managed a team of five analysts to oversee all the financial assessments conducted by Global Finance (~3-5 per month).
Senior Director of Finance
- Led the development of the company’s 2016 annual plan, supporting business leaders with analytics and insight to help define financial operating priorities.
- Built a five-year lender model and secured a new, more favorable $10 million credit facility than with the prior lender.
- Conducted due diligence and provided financial modeling and analysis for new initiatives and acquisitions. Acquired Smooch Labs, owner of JSwipe, for $7 million and successfully integrated the company’s financials.
- Spearheaded FP&A efforts at a global public company, owner and operator of ChristianMingle and JDate.
- Contributed key elements as the finance partner responsible for strategic and operations planning, investment planning, forecasting, insightful analysis, and timely reporting.
- Re-engineered company-wide planning processes to significantly improve forecasting accuracy and accountability.
Duff & Phelps, LLC
- Developed and communicated complex financial analysis through fairness opinions, solvency opinions, and other valuations to guide decision makers in corporate finance transactions.
- Created presentations summarizing the analysis and conclusions supporting the opinion being provided to the client.
- Performed company, industry, market, and competitor research and due diligence.
- Mentored, managed, and developed staff, including analysts and associates.
Sirius Partners, L.P.
- Supported the CIO and founder by analyzing equity and credit investments across sectors with a small to mid-cap and special situations emphasis.
- Created financial models and evaluated companies based on asset quality, normalized earnings, and free cash flow generation informed through proprietary industry research and frequent management interactions.
- Recommended and monitored portfolio positions that included CPG companies, REITs, pharmaceutical companies, payment service providers, etc., to senior partners on a weekly basis, resulting in a 61% return in 2013.
- Conducted industry and company competitive analysis and extensive third-party research with suppliers, customers, and competitors to identify attractive investment opportunities across assets globally.
- Developed and maintained new and existing analytical tools used for performance and portfolio analysis.
Research Analyst Intern
Nuveen Asset Management
- Performed fundamental credit analysis on bond issues and sectors, and presented recommendations to senior research analysts and portfolio managers on a credit and price (spread) basis.
- Analyzed financial statements, collateral, structure, competitive and industry trends, and security provisions for new issues, and surveilled and updated information for current holdings.
- Interviewed all NAM business line managers in Chicago and Minneapolis to identify specific needs and processes, and implemented changes to NAM’s firm-wide business continuity plan.
MBA in Finance, Accounting, and Economics
University of Chicago Booth School of Business - Chicago, IL
BBA in Finance
Emory University - Atlanta, GA
Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA)