Verified Expert in Finance
Neel is a finance leader and change agent with 10+ years of experience and a track record of impact in Fortune 50 companies. He has driven transformations to the tune of $250 million, EBITDA uplift of $100 million+, and sustainable change by managing mandates in multinationals, SMEs, and startups. Neel is adept at navigating across countries, regions, and cultures, and he brings an entrepreneurial and creative mindset, drive, and passion to design and execute win-win solutions for his clients.
Finance and Strategy Consultant
- Served as interim CFO for a media agency: helped the company change from a cash to an accrual basis, assisted the founder in ascertaining the valuation of the company versus the offer on the table, and handled the full suite of CFO responsibilities.
- Built a model to assist in automating revenue recognition calculations and analyzing revenues.
- Helped the founders of a shipping platform determine the right equity split by developing a model to apply objective and subjective factors in determining the cap table during an advisory engagement.
- Assessed around 12 VC deals for the fund, including deal financial analysis.
- Analyzed market sizing and growth potential for deals sourced by the fund.
- Built financial assessment and valuation models for deals cleared through the stage-one product, market, and fit assessment.
- Assessed and formulated term sheets for companies that were considered a fit.
- Conducted financial and business due diligence on various startups, including cap table structures and scenario models.
- Created an internal valuation model for the fund, which is used for all deal financial assessments and valuation gap analyses related to the founder versus fund view of valuations.
- Provided the fund with subject-matter expertise on healthcare operations as the key SME. This included finance, supply chain, IP structure, contract assessment, creation and manufacturing setup, and OEM assessment.
CEO | Founder
- Designed the entire SaaS platform for the company I established and ran as the CEO.
- Developed a comprehensive market research study and gathered user insights to develop the framework for the platform build.
- Project managed the development team and delivery of milestones.
- Redesigned the entire finance, hospital, and charity modules for a senior care home software solution as a subject-matter expert. The client had been losing clients as a result of a clunky interface and errors across all its ledgers and reports.
- Designed and was commissioned to build the charity module for the senior care software company. The client had a new customer in Singapore that needed a module that could cater to charitable donations and events, a solution the company didn't have.
- Conducted an in-market competitive landscape study for a West Africa-based commodities company. One of the key recommendations was to create an app that could improve direct communication with its distributors and move payments from cash to online.
- Performed an in-market assessment of the commodity and automotive company's leadership team across West Africa and identified the key development and training areas to focus on, including building a high-potential track for development.
- Conducted an internal risk assessment of the commodity and automotive business across West Africa. Found instances of internal fraud, which were assessed and brought to the attention of the senior leadership team for action.
- Guided a SaaS business at the crossroads of personal health and finance on its go-to-market strategy. This involved shifting from a D2C model to a B2B2C model and shifting its focus to partner with insurance companies.
- Provided guidance on KPI structuring and assessment to a Singaporean beverage company, shifting its focus from tracking everything to tracking KPIs that truly provided leading indicators of business direction and performance.
- Facilitated ideation and consulted for various startups around market entry, go-to-market strategies, and exits.
- Provided financial structure guidance, business case assessments, and development for various startups.
CFO SEA (South East Asia)
- Drove revenue growth from 12% to 25% over two years, getting the region to around $350 million+.
- Drove a 10%+ cost reduction through vendor terms, process optimization, and continuous improvement.
- Restructured and transformed 6+ markets, setting up the organization structure, policies, processes, SOPs, and integrated operating model.
- Generated cash flow and P&L room through negotiated settlements on long-overdue AR worth $100 million.
- Developed market access and expansion strategies (with sales), driving a 5% market share increase and around 8-10% sales growth.
- Managed performance across 130+ distributors, including contract negotiation and SLA management.
- Set up an analytics hub in Singapore and redesigned and reorganized the finance function across Southeast Asia.
CFO (Various Roles)
Johnson & Johnson
- Managed a portfolio of 160+ distribution/warehousing nodes ($12 billion+ in sales), covering pharma, medical, and consumer. Instrumental in negotiating a deal that helped bring down OCD distributor margins from 40%+ to 7%.
- Acquired Bioseal, a Guangzhou-based biologics company and a first for J&J Medical in APAC in 130+ years. Managed IP and tax risk for J&J source and manufacturing companies and Mumbai and Suzhou R&D centers. Generated $25 million+ in savings.
- Generated savings of $20 million+ per annum, delivered through cost improvement, working capital, and cash flow management. Set up revenue and profit maximization ($50 million+) through cost-to-serve and channel optimization projects.
- Drove approximately $10 million in YoY savings through analysis of SC variances and minimizing SLOB to 1.2% versus the 15% trend. Implemented automation projects, such as automated order fill scanning and redressing capabilities.
- Developed the center of excellence for hedging (14+ currencies) and selling in local currencies to all markets. Managed transfer pricing of products passing through the RDC (60,000+ SKUs).
- Created a performance scorecard, reducing the time for analysis from two weeks to one day for Cordis APAC.
- Devised the Philippines key account management strategy, growing sales and profit by 16% and 21% YoY. Grew Cordis sales and profit by 12% and 15% YoY.
- Delivered a 98% people retention track record at J&J for 7.5 years while serving as chairman of the talent, training, and development council for Southeast Asia finance.
Finance Business Partner
- Oversaw the ANZ market consolidations, reporting, and long-range plans.
- Enabled analysis and scenario modeling that helped the business focus on key market segments to increase market share.
- Set up and managed the joint venture between Merck & Co. and Schering-Plough, including the co-marketing and sales agreements, while serving as the controller.
- Enabled the out-licensing of Zocor sales in the ANZ market to a generics manufacturer. This was secured in advance of the expiration of Zocor patents, enabling a lock-in of revenues for 10+ years versus cannibalization by generics.
- Modeled the impact of litigation outcomes on a product for the ANZ market and provided the company with options for the best path forward. The modeling helped the company choose an option that minimized the outlays.
Management Consultant | Finance Business Partner | Senior Analyst | Accountant
- Managed financials for SMEs and MNC subsidiaries, conducted audits, and provided business advisory (Stapleton Partners).
- Managed property portfolios for HNW clients and taxation of various businesses including state, corporate, and employment taxes (Grant Thornton).
- Managed the financials, reporting, and analytics of non-government deals across the ANZ market. Built and analyzed business cases and financial models for new bids and tenders. Helped collect $2 million in AR overdue 720+ days (EDS, which is now HP).
- Served as an internal management consultant to help RailCorp (NSW Government) assess, model, and restructure its cleaning services division across the entire network. Built a new ticket pricing model that would enable the reduction of regular fares.
- Managed the APAC region as the controller for all bids and tenders. All deals were with airport authorities and airlines, and we had a 90%+ success rate. Post win, served as the controller through the implementation and handover to finance (SITA).
Master of Business Administration (MBA) in Strategy & Marketing
London Business School - London, England, UK
Master's Degree in Corporate Finance
Macquarie University - Sydney, Australia
Bachelor's Degree in Accounting & Finance
New South Wales University - Sydney, Australia
Kaufman Institute & Techstars
Full-stack Web Development
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring