Pablo A. Macias
Verified Expert in Finance
A Harvard graduate, Pablo has developed financial models that resulted in the launch of four new digital and software business lines at Flex. He's also created M&A models for acquisitions in multiple industries: spanning financial services, industrials, and tech. Originally from Spain, Pablo moved to Silicon Valley to help develop growth strategies through M&A and new ventures, and he joined Toptal to help clients with their growth initiatives.
- Led the ideation, testing, and launching of two venture studio companies in HR tech and blockchain.
- Developed pitch deck, revenue/business model, fundraising strategy, financial budget, and a product roadmap in collaboration with the product engineering team.
- Conducted market research and analysis to identify the total addressable market, competitive landscape, and go-to-market strategy through 100+ interviews with potential clients.
Senior Marketing Strategy Manager
- Reported to Toptal's CEO and spearheaded demand generation efforts, resulting in a 30%+ YoY increase in inbound leads growth.
- Managed the marketing budget and resources, overseeing the hiring and managing of five marketing professionals and leveraging external service providers.
- Worked closely with executive leadership to develop and execute new campaigns in experimental channels such as review sites and direct buys.
The Economist Intelligence Unit
- Created the go-to-market strategy for a pharmaceutical company in Mexico and Algeria.
- Provided the market landscape of chronic kidney disease medical services in South Africa for a medical device manufacturer.
- Worked with Johnson & Johnson to assess Brexit's impact on P&L; developed a financial model.
- Served as the managing director for a self-funded search fund created to acquire one single company with EBITDA between €1-4 million.
- Performed the valuation, financial modeling, and strategic and industry analyses for multiple acquisition targets with EBITDA of up to €1.5 million in oil and gas, instrumentation, chemicals, and hardware electronics industries.
- Researched over 1,000 companies, contacted around 500, and met with 25 business owners to negotiate a potential sale.
- Developed a business case to acquire two companies: one technology company and one chemical distributor. Both owners considered the acquisition price low, and offers were not accepted.
Strategic Projects Manager
- Conducted commercial due diligence for two target acquisitions in the semiconductors and automotive industries.
- Interviewed 20+ industry experts (at competitors, suppliers, and customers) to understand competitive positioning, market size, and potential expansion opportunities for each target company.
- Synthesized findings into a PowerPoint and presented to private equity firm partners and deal managers.
Corporate Strategy Manager
- Supported the senior management in developing growth strategies (M&A strategy and incubation of new businesses) and business cases and plans supporting those initiatives.
- Planned the development of four new businesses in the internet of things (IoT) industry that raised $25 million internally in aggregated funding. Created pricing models, resource plans, budgets, and investment analysis models.
- Incubated a new business group addressing cloud infrastructure. Developed a business case with market analysis, financial plan, and model linked to the product roadmap and milestones.
- Built detailed financial models, including projections, valuation, and investment return analyses for acquisitions, investments, and new ventures.
- Developed M&A strategies for Flex business segments. Created capability and gap assessments and identified and evaluated acquisitions.
- Crafted the go-to-market strategy and developed the Flex Digital Health platform and pricing models.
- Built detailed financial models supporting multiple bank acquisition scenarios and M&A deal types (acquisition through new equity issue, a merger of equals, a reverse merger with share buyback, and an acquisition with call and put options calculated with the Black-Scholes option pricing model).
- Performed research and financial modeling and developed business cases for bank acquisitions.
- Assessed the market entry into the United States through the acquisition of an online bank in 2009. Sized online and mobile banking market opportunities and developed acquisition rationale and financial models.
Master's Degree in Finance
Harvard University - Boston, MA, USA
Bachelor's Degree in Economics and Business
European University of Madrid - Madrid, Spain