Patrick Boyce, CFA, CPA
Verified Expert in Finance
Over his 25-year career, Patrick has advised over 100 companies while employed by high-yield juggernauts DLJ Los Angeles, Salomon, and Highland Capital. He holds a Chicago Booth MBA, CPA, and is a CFA Charterholder. He helps firms raise capital, restructure finance teams, negotiate effectively with financial counterparties, and increase their profitability. As a freelancer, Patrick enjoys working with a variety of firms and stakeholders.
Chief Operating Officer
True North America, Inc.
- Led global operations for custom software professional services firm including finance, accounting, human resources, legal, and engineer utilization.
- Developed pitch deck, identified potential investors, and negotiated all documentation for successful Series Seed financing.
- Implemented new project and resources tracking cloud-based software system that resulted in a 50% reduction in unbilled hours.
- Created annual three-statement financial models for budgeting and operations.
- Established real-time financial and operating dashboards based on company-wide OKRs.
Chief Financial Officer
Le Jardin Academy
- Led financial operations and strategic development for $19 million Pre-K–12th grade independent school.
- Executed $15 million debt restructuring, resulting in new credit facility with 3.625% weighted average rate and six-year term.
- Recruited consultants from McKinsey & Company to conduct pro bono strategic review and develop six-year strategic plan, which we completed in March 2017.
- Sourced and negotiated affiliation agreement with internationally-focused, Hawaii-based university, allowing the school to expand its international recruiting, the first of its kind in Hawaii.
- Reduced annual operating costs across multiple divisions by over 30% by analyzing contract costs and vendor recruitment.
Partner, Chief Financial Officer and Head of Private Equity
Highland Capital Management
- Evaluated and executed numerous strategic business line acquisitions and divestitures, including the sale of Highland’s European CLO business to Carlyle Group in 2012.
- Negotiated diplomatically and successfully with “hostile” bank group during 2008 / 2009 credit crisis, resulting in a highly favorable outcome for Highland.
- Restructured finance team to streamline span of control due to transition to Head of Private Equity.
- Implemented highly successful “playbook” approach to process documentation in order to improve operating efficiency across the firm.
- Promoted to Partner as first non-investment professional in firm's history.
Citigroup/Salomon Smith Barney
- Completed representative transactions, including sole-managed high-yield offerings and exclusive sell-side engagements.
- Raised equity and debt capital for category-leading firms such as Gamestop (IPO), Brinker International Restaurants (convertible debt), and Rent-Way (high yield offering).
- Advised board special committees on sell-side transactions involving companies such as Kinko's, Dean Foods, and Travelocity.
Donaldson, Lufkin & Jenrette
- Worked in the Los Angeles office and focused on developing capital structure alternatives using detailed financial models; calculated and analyzed liquidity and leverage and coverage ratios; valued companies using DCF, IRR, and comparable company analysis; and modeled and set financial covenants.
- Executed in excess of ten transactions including IPOs, high-yield offerings, and M&As for financial sponsor clients across a wide variety of industries.
- Served on projects with clients such as Bell Sports, Hollywood Video, Intertainer (video on demand), Crown Media (Hallmark Channel), Taco Cabana, and multiple private equity firms including TPG, Brentwood Associates, and Ares Capital.
Master of Business Administration (MBA) Degree in Finance and Accounting
University of Chicago - Chicago, IL
Bachelor's Degree in Finance
Baylor University - Waco, TX
Negotiations: Advanced Master Class
Harvard Law School Program on Negotiation Executive Education
Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA)
Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring