Member since February 27, 2017
Samir has extensive investment banking, private equity, and venture capital experience working for top-tier IB and SWF players. He co-founded and has been part of the management team of several startups. As a freelancer, Samir enjoys working with both large corporate clients as well as startups at different stages of development, in different industries, and in multiple geographies (US, Europe, Asia, Middle East).
- Venture Investor2017 - PRESENTGREE Ventures
Focus areas: Venture Funding, Venture Capital, Fundraising, Startup, Technology, Software
- Managed the fund's startup portfolio in Southeast Asia.
- Handled and was responsible for the investment activities in Indonesia—the largest tech market in Southeast Asia.
- VP Finance, Strategy, and Business Development2014 - 2017BioBots
Focus areas: Fundraising, Venture Funding, Business Plan Development, Operations, Market Research, Marketing
- Advised the CEO on product/market strategy, development roadmap, market segmentation, and go-to-market actions.
- Created the initial marketing campaigns and led the business development for non-US corporate clients.
- Raised a $1.5 million+ seed round through a US VC/angel roadshow and prepared a $10 million+ Series A fundraising.
- Developed the first quarterly, full-year, and five-year financial plans including sales forecasts and hardware production plans and managed the initial implementation of accounting, finance, and production ERP systems.
- Co-Founder2012 - 2014DocEx Legal
Focus areas: Fundraising, Strategy, Human Capital, Operations, Marketing, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Sales
- Created the initial business model, product offerings, launch strategy, and operations/sales processes.
- Sourced and managed 130+ client relationships and closed 14 long-term contracts with corporate clients.
- Hired and trained 12 legal professionals in India, Pakistan, Lebanon, and Egypt to support the company’s growth.
- Negotiated seed funding from local angel investors and oversaw company’s front and back office operations.
- Associate, Strategic Investments2012 - 2014Al Rayan Investment (Qatar Investment Authority)
Focus areas: Private Equity, Valuation Modeling, Sovereign Wealth Fund, Real Estate, Financial Modeling, Financial Sponsors, Due Dilligence, Cross-Border Investments, Buy-Side, Financial Institutions Group (FIG), Technology, Media, & Telecommunications (TMT)
- Created the full valuation and leveraged buyout (LBO) model for a TMT asset acquisition in Southeast Asia.
- Was hand-picked to lead the structuring team for a $1 billion Asian real estate private equity (PE) fund in Southeast Asia and China.
- Led the buy-side due diligence for a global hospitality portfolio with assets located in Asia, Europe, and the Americas—a total value of $1.5 billion.
- Analyst, M&A & Corporate Advisory2010 - 2012Al Rayan Investment (Qatar Investment Authority)
Focus areas: Due Dilligence, Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Valuation Modeling, Comparable Company Analysis, Discounted Cash Flow (DCF), Financial Modeling, TMT, Real Estate, FIG, Financial Sponsors
- Developed single-handedly the valuation, financing, and the merger model for a turnaround acquisition of a UK banking target.
- Led the due diligence process on multiple buy-side and sell-side mandates for large MENA corporations.
- Developed the portfolio valuation model for the initial public offering of a multi-billion asset management vehicle on the Middle Eastern Stock Exchange.
- Built a valuation model and an asset-level financing model for multiple real estate investment trust initial public offerings (REIT IPOs) in Southeast Asia.
- Corporate Finance and Business Development Analyst2009 - 2010JC Decaux
Focus areas: Financial Reporting, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Business Plan Development
- Developed a five-year business plan highlighting the detailed product and industry-based growth opportunities.
- Implemented the sales, budget, and operations reporting for regional and global management.
- Built, implemented, and maintained a sales commission model.
- Summer Analyst2008 - 2008Citigroup
Focus areas: Equity Capital Markets
- Conducted transaction multiples and premium analysis based on 40 selected deals for a hospitality client on a $6 billion equity carve-out. The analysis was used to determine the carved-out company valuation and to pitch private equity buyers for a minority stake.
- Provided a business overview with key metrics on trading and stock performance momentum for a TMT client on a €300 million debt restructuring. Provided materials regarding straight-equity and equity-linked potential issuances including financial requirements and a timeline.
- Summer Analyst2007 - 2007Lazard
Focus areas: Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A)
- Outlined the capital structure, asset portfolio, NAV and P/E of 20 European real estate companies over 15 years to show favorable trends despite 2007 real estate backdrop for a real estate client concerning a €1.4 billion asset restructuring. This was used by senior bankers for discussion purposes with real estate specialized funds and led to two funds’ eventual investment of €133 million.
- Researched the biotechnology market and prepared materials including product development schedule, projected sales and FCF margins for a biotech client for a $300 million initial public offering (IPO). It was used to discuss the IPO timeline and preliminary valuation with the client’s management.
- Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree in Entrepreneurial Management and Finance2014 - 2017University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School - Philadelphia, PA, USA
- Master of Public Administration (MPA) degree in Innovation and Technology Policy2014 - 2017Harvard University, JFK School of Government - Cambridge, MA, USA
- Master of Science degree in Management2005 - 2009Audencia Business School - Nantes, France