Verified Expert in Finance
Samir has extensive investment banking, private equity, and venture capital experience working for top-tier IB and SWF players. He co-founded and has been part of the management team of several startups. As a freelancer, Samir enjoys working with both large corporate clients as well as startups at different stages of development, in different industries, and in multiple geographies (US, Europe, Asia, Middle East).
- Managed the fund's startup portfolio in Southeast Asia.
- Handled and was responsible for the investment activities in Indonesia—the largest tech market in Southeast Asia.
VP Finance, Strategy, and Business Development
- Advised the CEO on product/market strategy, development roadmap, market segmentation, and go-to-market actions.
- Created the initial marketing campaigns and led the business development for non-US corporate clients.
- Raised a $1.5 million+ seed round through a US VC/angel roadshow and prepared a $10 million+ Series A fundraising.
- Developed the first quarterly, full-year, and five-year financial plans including sales forecasts and hardware production plans and managed the initial implementation of accounting, finance, and production ERP systems.
- Created the initial business model, product offerings, launch strategy, and operations/sales processes.
- Sourced and managed 130+ client relationships and closed 14 long-term contracts with corporate clients.
- Hired and trained 12 legal professionals in India, Pakistan, Lebanon, and Egypt to support the company’s growth.
- Negotiated seed funding from local angel investors and oversaw company’s front and back office operations.
Associate, Strategic Investments
Al Rayan Investment (Qatar Investment Authority)
- Created the full valuation and leveraged buyout (LBO) model for a TMT asset acquisition in Southeast Asia.
- Was hand-picked to lead the structuring team for a $1 billion Asian real estate private equity (PE) fund in Southeast Asia and China.
- Led the buy-side due diligence for a global hospitality portfolio with assets located in Asia, Europe, and the Americas—a total value of $1.5 billion.
Analyst, M&A & Corporate Advisory
Al Rayan Investment (Qatar Investment Authority)
- Developed single-handedly the valuation, financing, and the merger model for a turnaround acquisition of a UK banking target.
- Led the due diligence process on multiple buy-side and sell-side mandates for large MENA corporations.
- Developed the portfolio valuation model for the initial public offering of a multi-billion asset management vehicle on the Middle Eastern Stock Exchange.
- Built a valuation model and an asset-level financing model for multiple real estate investment trust initial public offerings (REIT IPOs) in Southeast Asia.
Corporate Finance and Business Development Analyst
- Developed a five-year business plan highlighting the detailed product and industry-based growth opportunities.
- Implemented the sales, budget, and operations reporting for regional and global management.
- Built, implemented, and maintained a sales commission model.
- Conducted transaction multiples and premium analysis based on 40 selected deals for a hospitality client on a $6 billion equity carve-out. The analysis was used to determine the carved-out company valuation and to pitch private equity buyers for a minority stake.
- Provided a business overview with key metrics on trading and stock performance momentum for a TMT client on a €300 million debt restructuring. Provided materials regarding straight-equity and equity-linked potential issuances including financial requirements and a timeline.
- Outlined the capital structure, asset portfolio, NAV and P/E of 20 European real estate companies over 15 years to show favorable trends despite 2007 real estate backdrop for a real estate client concerning a €1.4 billion asset restructuring. This was used by senior bankers for discussion purposes with real estate specialized funds and led to two funds’ eventual investment of €133 million.
- Researched the biotechnology market and prepared materials including product development schedule, projected sales and FCF margins for a biotech client for a $300 million initial public offering (IPO). It was used to discuss the IPO timeline and preliminary valuation with the client’s management.
Master of Business Administration (MBA) Degree in Entrepreneurial Management and Finance
University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School - Philadelphia, PA, USA
Master of Public Administration (MPA) Degree in Innovation and Technology Policy
Harvard University, JFK School of Government - Cambridge, MA, USA
Master of Science Degree in Management
Audencia Business School - Nantes, France
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring