Finance and M&A Director, Hiab
2019 - PRESENT
- Oversaw finance and business control for Hiab's New Business Solutions business line, which encompasses software and IoT products and services focused on strategic financial planning and budgeting as well as cost control.
- Led software M&A target scouting efforts and international M&A transactions in countries including South Africa and Chile.
- Developed self-service BI and decentralized data analytics capabilities by leading a proof of concept with Google BigQuery and Google Cloud Platform, which spawned several pilot and production projects, some of which I also led.
- Used SQL, Python, and Google Apps Script hands-on for data engineering, analytics, and workflow automation, and led efforts to increase the use of these and similar tools in the organization.
Focus areas: Finland, Due Diligence, Budget Modeling, Programming, Financial Forecasting, Excel Modeling, Pandas, Python, Data Engineering, Big Data, Google Cloud, SQL, Chile, Germany, Transaction Comparables, Comparable Company Analysis, DCF Modeling, DCF Valuation, Board Decks, Google Slides, Google Apps Script, Google Sheets, Software, CFO, Budgeting, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), M&A Modeling, Cross-border M&A, Industrial Equipment
M&A Director, Hiab
2016 - 2019
- Led the due diligence and valuation of cross-border M&A transactions; supported business lines in negotiations and key approval processes.
- Led and supported integration planning and execution with eight-to-ten functional and value-focused workstreams per transaction.
- Built a DCF model template that is now being used as the standard for M&A across Hiab.
- Led the development of a target search and screening structure—resulting in a structured M&A database and a series of processes for evaluating potential M&A targets.
- Contributed to the continuous internal process improvement and sharing best practices as a member of the Cargotec-wide M&A Council.
Focus areas: Finland, M&A Modeling, Board Decks, Financial Forecasting, Excel Modeling, Google Apps Script, Equity Valuation, Python, Board Presentations, Google Sheets, DCF Valuation, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Acquisitions, Financial Statements, Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Due Diligence, Financial Modeling, Cross-border M&A
Program Office and M&A Director, Hiab
2016 - 2017
- Led the Hiab program management office which tracked the execution of key strategic initiatives in the Hiab business area.
- Led the M&A target screening, evaluation, and execution of M&A projects in Hiab.
Focus areas: Finland, Mentorship & Coaching, M&A Modeling, Board Decks, Capital IQ, Financial Forecasting, Excel Modeling, Equity Valuation, @RISK, Acquisitions, Board Presentations, Google Sheets, DCF Valuation, Program Management, Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Cross-border M&A
Program Office Senior Manager, Hiab
2015 - 2016
- Tracked the execution of the most important strategic initiatives in the Hiab business unit (€1+ billion in unit revenue) and reported to senior leadership on a weekly basis. Also supported the execution of key strategic initiatives as part of an in-house consulting team.
- Prepared the business portfolio analysis, economic-value-added analyses, and internal and external benchmarking for Cargotec's corporate strategy team.
- Supported Cargotec's corporate M&A team on several transactions; responsible for financial modeling and financial analysis.
Focus areas: Finland, Excel Modeling, DCF Valuation, Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Cross-border M&A, Program Management, Strategic Planning & Execution
Financial Analyst, MacGregor
2014 - 2015
- Led the financial analysis and developed key decision-making materials for the CFO and senior management team of the MacGregor business unit (€1+ billion of unit revenues in 2014) on a range of topics and projects, including outsourcing evaluations, make-or-buy decisions, cost and headcount reductions, synergy estimations, divestment decisions, and net working capital optimization initiatives.
- Coordinated the financial aspects of MacGregor's long-term corporate strategy, and prepared materials for internal decision-making and board presentations.
- Built financial models and conducted financial analyses for Cargotec's central M&A team, working with a top-tier investment bank on larger projects.
Focus areas: Budget Modeling, Board Decks, Excel Modeling, Cross-border M&A, Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Working Capital Management, Financial Forecasting, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A)
Partner | Co-founder
2011 - 2014
- Co-founded an early-stage investment firm with a technology industry executive who has more than 25 years of experience with Silicon Valley startups as well as with larger enterprises. The initial funding was provided by several successful Swedish entrepreneurs who also provided mentoring and guidance to portfolio companies.
- Worked closely with portfolio companies on business development, product roadmap decisions, financial planning, and follow-on fundraising efforts.
Focus areas: Private Equity, Excel Modeling, Early-stage Startups, Acquisitions, DCF Valuation, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Seed Fundraising, Venture Funding, Early-stage Venture Capital, Investment Monitoring, Investment Briefs, Investor Presentations, Due Diligence
2012 - 2013
- Drove the innovation in the finance function of the company by implementing a cloud-based QuickBooks solution, SalesForce CRM, and Zendesk customer service software solutions to provide all stakeholders with clear financial information.
- Strengthened the financial control by implementing a quarterly and annual financial planning and budgeting process as well as weekly cash flow forecasts.
- Implemented policies and procedures related to credit limits, revenue recognition, record-keeping procedures, approval processes, bank mandates, and segregation of duties.
Focus areas: Capital Structure, Budget Modeling, Excel Modeling, Interim CFO, Early-stage Startups, Early-stage Venture Capital, CFO, Customer Service, CRM Systems, Accounting Software, Accounting, Cash Flow Forecasting
Independent Financial Consultant
2008 - 2013
- Founded an independent consulting practice to facilitate communication between startup founders with technical and non-financial backgrounds and their investors and board members.
- Assisted small startups with $0-10 million in external financing with fundraising, financing strategy, financial planning, board reporting, and strategy execution.
- Employed two analysts who focused on financial modeling, financial analysis, market research, and preparation of the presentation materials.
Focus areas: Mentorship & Coaching, Cash Flow Forecasting, Capital IQ, Financial Forecasting, Excel Modeling, Early-stage Startups, Early-stage Venture Capital, @RISK, Acquisitions, Google Sheets, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Consulting, Business Planning, Budgeting, Financial Modeling, Seed Fundraising, Fundraising
- Joined as a CFO after helping the company raise $6.2 million from international investors including VantagePoint Capital Partners, BP Alternative Energy Ventures, and Sustainable Technologies Fund.
- Led a finance and IT team of five resources—driving the transition of the finance function from an accounting-focused support function to a strategic business partner that added an analytical value-creation focus to management and board discussions.
- Built a financial model using Monte Carlo simulations to guide business development and prioritize engineering efforts. The intellectual property portfolio was eventually sold to Renmatix, a competitor that was funded by John Doerr and KPCB.
- Presented and reported financial matters and financial model findings directly to the board, led by chairman André T. Heinz.
Focus areas: Mentorship & Coaching, Capital Structure, Budget Modeling, Accounting, Board Decks, Cash Flow Forecasting, CleanTech, Financial Forecasting, Excel Modeling, Early-stage Startups, Early-stage Venture Capital, Board Presentations, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Financial Management, Execution, Monte Carlo Simulations, Venture Funding, Three Statement Operating Model, Financial Modeling, Cash Flow Modeling, Budgeting, CFO, Startup Funding
Manager, Leveraged Finance
2006 - 2008
Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS)
- Led the financial modeling and analysis for leveraged buyouts with enterprise values between €250 million to €1 billion in the Nordic region, Germany, Austria, and Switzerland; including EQT's acquisition of Scandic Hotels from Hilton.
- Managed the internal approval processes—presenting the proposed transactions, due diligence findings, key features of legal documentation and details of leveraged finance securities and loans.
- Monitored early warning indicators and prepared credit reviews for portfolio companies in which RBS held securities including senior and junior bank debt, mezzanine and high-yield bonds.
Focus areas: Credit Reviews, Capital Structure, Board Decks, Cash Flow Forecasting, Financial Forecasting, Leveraged Buyout (LBO), Excel Modeling, Private Equity, Acquisitions, Cross-border M&A, Payment-in-Kind (PIK) Notes, Due Diligence, Debt, Senior Secured Debt, Three Statement Operating Model, Financial Modeling, Mezzanine, Bonds, Leveraged Buyout Modeling
Analyst, Leveraged Finance
2003 - 2005
Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS)
- Built financial models and analyzed financial impact of due diligence findings on landmark leveraged finance transactions in the Nordic region and Germany, Austria and Switzerland where RBS acted as Mandated Lead Arranger, including Terra Firma's €7 billion acquisition of Viterra, Permira's €700 million acquisition of Debitel, and EQT's more than €1 billion acquisition of Sanitec.
- Participated in RBS's London-based Global Banking & Markets Graduate Trainee Programme.
- Supported all aspects of internal approval processes, syndication of loans and securities, and communications with clients through analysis and presentation materials.
Focus areas: Credit Reviews, Capital Structure, Board Decks, Cash Flow Forecasting, Financial Forecasting, Leveraged Buyout (LBO), Excel Modeling, Senior Secured Debt, Payment-in-Kind (PIK) Notes, Acquisitions, Mezzanine, Private Equity, Cross-border M&A, Leveraged Finance, Leveraged Buyout Modeling, Target Screening, Due Diligence, Financial Modeling