Verified Expert in Finance
As an investment banker, startup CFO, fundraising consultant, and corporate M&A director, Stefan has built financial models and conducted due diligence and analysis for projects ranging from a €6 million startup fundraising to a €7 billion LBO. Occasional freelancing allows him to tackle interesting finance challenges in areas outside the scope of his full-time job as M&A director.
Director, Data-Driven Insights and Analytics
- Defining the vision for data analytics in the finance organization, mapping demand from senior management and other stakeholders to technical solutions, and driving change through articles, training, and sharing of best practices between teams.
- Leading finance-related data engineering, analytics, and BI transformation projects.
Director, M&A | Finance | PMO | Finance Digitalisation, Hiab
- Led all aspects of PoCs and a pilot with Google BigQuery, from idea and architecture design through to presenting outcomes to Cargotec's CIO, which led to Cargotec's adoption of BigQuery as its data warehousing solution for BI. This was on my initiative.
- Led financial and other due diligence, business case development, and internal approval steps for M&A globally, with completed transactions in countries including Germany, Italy, Chile, and South Africa, and significant work with Chinese targets.
- Responsible for finance and business control for Hiab's New Business Solutions division, encompassing its IoT, connectivity, and software business.
- Responsible for finance and business control for Hiab's importer markets, covering sales to more than 60 countries.
- Led the Hiab Program Management Office, tracking the execution of key strategic initiatives for the Hiab leadership team.
Program Office Senior Manager, Hiab
- Tracked the execution of the most important strategic initiatives in the Hiab business unit (€1+ billion in unit revenue) and reported to senior leadership on a weekly basis. Also supported the execution of key strategic initiatives as part of an in-house consulting team.
- Prepared the business portfolio analysis, economic-value-added analyses, and internal and external benchmarking for Cargotec's corporate strategy team.
- Supported Cargotec's corporate M&A team on several transactions; responsible for financial modeling and financial analysis.
Financial Analyst, MacGregor
- Led the financial analysis and developed key decision-making materials for the CFO and senior management team of the MacGregor business unit (€1+ billion of unit revenues in 2014) on a range of topics and projects, including outsourcing evaluations, make-or-buy decisions, cost and headcount reductions, synergy estimations, divestment decisions, and net working capital optimization initiatives.
- Coordinated the financial aspects of MacGregor's long-term corporate strategy, and prepared materials for internal decision-making and board presentations.
- Built financial models and conducted financial analyses for Cargotec's central M&A team, working with a top-tier investment bank on larger projects.
Partner | Co-founder
- Co-founded an early-stage investment firm with a technology industry executive who has more than 25 years of experience with Silicon Valley startups as well as with larger enterprises. The initial funding was provided by several successful Swedish entrepreneurs who also provided mentoring and guidance to portfolio companies.
- Worked closely with portfolio companies on business development, product roadmap decisions, financial planning, and follow-on fundraising efforts.
- Drove the innovation in the finance function of the company by implementing a cloud-based QuickBooks solution, SalesForce CRM, and Zendesk customer service software solutions to provide all stakeholders with clear financial information.
- Strengthened the financial control by implementing a quarterly and annual financial planning and budgeting process as well as weekly cash flow forecasts.
- Implemented policies and procedures related to credit limits, revenue recognition, record-keeping procedures, approval processes, bank mandates, and segregation of duties.
Independent Financial Consultant
- Founded an independent consulting practice to facilitate communication between startup founders with technical and non-financial backgrounds and their investors and board members.
- Assisted small startups with $0-10 million in external financing with fundraising, financing strategy, financial planning, board reporting, and strategy execution.
- Employed two analysts who focused on financial modeling, financial analysis, market research, and preparation of the presentation materials.
- Joined as a CFO after helping the company raise $6.2 million from international investors including VantagePoint Capital Partners, BP Alternative Energy Ventures, and Sustainable Technologies Fund.
- Led a finance and IT team of five resources—driving the transition of the finance function from an accounting-focused support function to a strategic business partner that added an analytical value-creation focus to management and board discussions.
- Built a financial model using Monte Carlo simulations to guide business development and prioritize engineering efforts. The intellectual property portfolio was eventually sold to Renmatix, a competitor that was funded by John Doerr and KPCB.
- Presented and reported financial matters and financial model findings directly to the board, led by chairman André T. Heinz.
Manager, Leveraged Finance
Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS)
- Led the financial modeling and analysis for leveraged buyouts with enterprise values between €250 million to €1 billion in the Nordic region, Germany, Austria, and Switzerland; including EQT's acquisition of Scandic Hotels from Hilton.
- Managed the internal approval processes—presenting the proposed transactions, due diligence findings, key features of legal documentation and details of leveraged finance securities and loans.
- Monitored early warning indicators and prepared credit reviews for portfolio companies in which RBS held securities including senior and junior bank debt, mezzanine and high-yield bonds.
Analyst, Leveraged Finance
Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS)
- Built financial models and analyzed financial impact of due diligence findings on landmark leveraged finance transactions in the Nordic region and Germany, Austria and Switzerland where RBS acted as Mandated Lead Arranger, including Terra Firma's €7 billion acquisition of Viterra, Permira's €700 million acquisition of Debitel, and EQT's more than €1 billion acquisition of Sanitec.
- Participated in RBS's London-based Global Banking & Markets Graduate Trainee Programme.
- Supported all aspects of internal approval processes, syndication of loans and securities, and communications with clients through analysis and presentation materials.
Python and Finance: Power Up Your Spreadsheets
Advantages of Google Sheets: Why It’s Time for Finance Pros to Switch From Excel
Google Apps Script Tutorial for Mastering Macros
Master's Degree in Finance
Boston College - Boston, MA, USA
Bachelor's Degree in International Business
European Business School - London, UK
Passed all three levels of the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) program