M&A Director, Hiab
2016 - PRESENT
- Led the due diligence and valuation of cross-border M&A transactions; advised supporting business lines on negotiations and key approval processes.
- Led and supported integration planning and execution with eight-to-ten functional and value-focused workstreams per transaction.
- Built a DCF model template that is now being used as the standard for M&A across Cargotec.
- Led the development of a target search and screening structure—resulting in a structured M&A database and a series of processes for evaluating potential M&A targets.
- Contributed to the continuous internal process improvement and sharing best practices as a member of the Cargotec-wide M&A Council.
Focus areas: Cross-border M&A, Financial Modeling, Due Dilligence, Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Financial Statement Analysis, Acquisition Integration
Program Office and M&A Director, Hiab
2016 - 2017
- Led the Hiab Program Management Office which tracked the execution of key strategic initiatives across the Hiab business areas.
- Led M&A target screening, evaluation, and execution of M&A projects for the Hiab business unit within Cargotec.
Focus areas: Cross-border M&A, Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Program Management
Program Office Senior Manager, Hiab
2015 - 2016
- Tracked the execution of the most important strategic initiatives in the Hiab business unit (€1+ billion in unit revenue) and reported to senior leadership on a weekly basis. Also supported the execution of key strategic initiatives as part of an in-house consulting team.
- Prepared the business portfolio analysis, economic-value-added analyses, and internal and external benchmarking for Cargotec's corporate strategy team.
- Supported Cargotec's corporate M&A team on several transactions; responsible for financial modeling and financial analysis.
Focus areas: Strategy Execution, Program Management, Cross-border M&A, Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A)
Financial Analyst, MacGregor
2014 - 2015
- Led the financial analysis and developed key decision-making materials for the CFO and senior management team of the MacGregor business unit (€1+ billion of unit revenues in 2014) on a range of topics and projects, including outsourcing evaluations, make-or-buy decisions, cost and headcount reductions, synergy estimations, divestment decisions, and net working capital optimization initiatives.
- Coordinated the financial aspects of MacGregor's long-term corporate strategy, and prepared materials for internal decision-making and board presentations.
- Built financial models and conducted financial analyses for Cargotec's central M&A team, working with a top-tier investment bank on larger projects.
Focus areas: Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Financial Projections, Working Capital Management, Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Cross-border M&A
Partner | Co-Founder
2011 - 2014
- Co-founded an early-stage investment firm with a technology industry executive who has more than 25 years of experience with Silicon Valley startups as well as with larger enterprises. The initial funding was provided by several successful Swedish entrepreneurs who also provided mentoring and guidance to portfolio companies.
- Conducted financial and other analysis of 30+ potential targets, which resulted in two early-stage investments totaling ~$4 million in US technology companies.
- Worked closely with portfolio companies on business development, product roadmap decisions, financial planning, and follow-on fundraising efforts.
Focus areas: Due Dilligence, Investor Decks, Investment Briefs, Investment Monitoring, Early-stage Venture Capital, Venture Funding, Seed Fundraising
2012 - 2013
- Drove the innovation in the finance function of the company by implementing a cloud-based QuickBooks solution, SalesForce CRM, and Zendesk customer service software solutions to provide all stakeholders with clear financial information.
- Strengthened the financial control by implementing a quarterly and annual financial planning and budgeting process as well as weekly cash flow forecasts.
- Implemented policies and procedures related to credit limits, revenue recognition, record-keeping procedures, approval processes, bank mandates, and segregation of duties.
Focus areas: Cash Flow Forecasting, Accounting, Accounting Software, CRM, Customer Service Software
Independent Financial Consultant
2008 - 2013
- Founded an independent consulting practice to facilitate communication between startup founders with technical and non-financial backgrounds and their investors and board members.
- Assisted small startups with $0-10 million in external financing with fundraising, financing strategy, financial planning, board reporting, and strategy execution.
- Employed two analysts who focused on financial modeling, financial analysis, market research, and preparation of the presentation materials.
Focus areas: Fundraising, Seed Fundraising, Financial Modeling, Budgeting, Business Plan Development, Consulting
2010 - 2012
- Joined as a CFO after helping the company raise $6.2 million from international investors including VantagePoint Capital Partners, BP Alternative Energy Ventures, and Sustainable Technologies Fund.
- Led a finance and IT team of five resources—driving the transition of the finance function from an accounting-focused support function to a strategic business partner that added an analytical value-creation focus to management and board discussions.
- Built a financial model using Monte Carlo simulations to guide business development and prioritize engineering efforts. The intellectual property portfolio was eventually sold to Renmatix, a competitor that was funded by John Doerr and KPCB.
- Presented and reported financial matters and financial model findings directly to the board, led by chairman André T. Heinz.
Focus areas: Startup Funding, CFO, Budgeting, Cash Flow Modeling, Financial Modeling, Three Statement Operating Model, Venture Funding, Monte Carlo modeling, Execution, Financial Management
Manager, Leveraged Finance
Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS)
2006 - 2008
- Led the financial modeling and analysis for leveraged buyouts with enterprise values between €250 million to €1 billion in the Nordic region, Germany, Austria, and Switzerland; including EQT's acquisition of Scandic Hotels from Hilton.
- Managed the internal approval processes—presenting the proposed transactions, due diligence findings, key features of legal documentation and details of leveraged finance securities and loans.
- Monitored early warning indicators and prepared credit reviews for portfolio companies in which RBS held securities including senior and junior bank debt, mezzanine and high-yield bonds.
Focus areas: Leveraged Buyout Model, High-Yield Bonds, Mezzanine, Financial Modeling, Three Statement Operating Model, Senior Secured Debt, Junior Debt, Financial Due Diligence, PIK Notes, Cross-border M&A
Analyst, Leveraged Finance
Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS)
2003 - 2005
- Built financial models and analyzed financial impact of due diligence findings on landmark leveraged finance transactions in the Nordic region and Germany, Austria and Switzerland where RBS acted as Mandated Lead Arranger, including Terra Firma's €7 billion acquisition of Viterra, Permira's €700 million acquisition of Debitel, and EQT's more than €1 billion acquisition of Sanitec.
- Participated in RBS's London-based Global Banking & Markets Graduate Trainee Programme.
- Supported all aspects of internal approval processes, syndication of loans and securities, and communications with clients through analysis and presentation materials.
Focus areas: Financial Modeling, Financial Due Diligence, Target Screening, LBO Modeling, Leveraged Finance, Cross-border M&A, Private Equity, Mezzanine