Verified Expert in Finance
Suhail, a veteran who has worked at renowned Canadian private and public equity firms like Onex and Gluskin Sheff, has invested $3+ billion of capital. Now a corporate finance professor at York University, he started his career in the capital markets group at CIBC, helping underwrite $5+ billion of debt facilities. Suhail has collaborated with global family offices and many pre-series B technology companies as a freelancer. He has helped with all activities tied to raising capital.
- Oversaw the credit function of the investment team. Closed key transactions and underwrote 50+ businesses seeking venture debt.
- Assisted the executive team in creating a firm strategy. Built a large number of product and investor presentations to outline and drive strategy.
- Collaborated closely with the engineering team to help identify key product features and provide a user based review.
- Created the investor materials, data room, and financial model for the seed and Series A raises for $20MM+ in capital raised.
CEO | Founder
Contrarian Investment Partners Ltd
- Founded a firm focused on providing retainer and project-based advisory services to pre-Series B technology companies, venture capital funds, and family offices that do not want to build out large finance and strategy teams in-house.
- Built a direct investment arm where Contrarian owns minority positions in private technology business and helps them accelerate their growth while minimizing dilution.
- Brokered a partnership with a global IT services firm to lead their North American M&A effort.
- Taught advanced corporate finance to BBA and MBA students at the Schulich School of Business.
- Created a new course curriculum that incorporated real-world experts to improve students' success rate after graduation.
- Taught introduction to corporate finance to BBA and MBA students at the Schulich School of Business.
Crimson Asset Management
- Worked as the lead analyst supporting the CEO and founder to build and establish a new asset manager.
- Helped build a North American small-cap portfolio from inception—researching and developing a repository of 100+ North American “dream team” companies complete with financial models, research packages as well as investment letters, leading 50+ management meetings.
- Contributed 12 ideas to an investment portfolio of 25 names, four of which grew to be 5%+ weights in the fund and one of which grew to become a core 10% portfolio position.
- Worked on business development and sales, personally securing a high net worth client for the firm.
- Built the firm’s presentation decks and marketing materials and managed the finance and operations activities, including the NAV reporting functions.
Gluskin Sheff & Associates, Inc.
- Worked as the sole analyst assisting the portfolio manager in managing a $3 billion Canadian equity portfolio.
- Built discounted cash flow models and conducted in-depth industry research on mid and large-cap equities.
- Initiated coverage of 30+ companies across consumer staples, consumer discretionary, industrials, materials, technology, and non-bank financial sectors.
- Developed strong relationships with sell-side analysts and company management teams, attending 100+ management diligence meetings and leading 30+ sessions individually.
Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce
- Conducted fundamental credit analysis of counterparties in the financial services industry.
- Assisted in managing a portfolio of 40+ clients contributing over $20+ million in revenue for the bank.
- Underwrote various bank and fund credits accounting for $5+ billion in credit limits.
Canada Pension Plan Investment Board
- Researched, analyzed and evaluated hedge fund managers pursuing fundamental strategies.
- Created deal sheets and investment recommendation materials.
- Built models to verify the valuation thesis presented by hedge funds.
- Prepared research packages outlining company strategy, financial position, and industry trends for 50+ North American private and public companies.
- Assisted in negotiating non-disclosure agreements with various investment banks.
- Conducted comparable company, precedent transaction and strategic analysis of target companies.
Strategic Planning Analyst
Pepsi Beverages Canada
- Built an Excel-based model to optimize routes used by Pepsi’s delivery fleet conducting calls with internal stakeholders to refine the model; initiative projected to yield annual savings of over $3 million.
- Developed an Excel-based tracking system for forecasting expiries resulting in $400,000-$500,000 annual savings.
Master of Business Administration (MBA) Degree in Finance
Schulich School of Business—York University - Toronto, Canada
Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration
Wilfrid Laurier University - Waterloo, Canada