Verified Expert in Finance
Tory is a Stanford graduate and partner at Tiller Partners, a US-based VC with over 20 investments and $100+ million AUM. He enjoys freelancing to reinforce his nearly 20 years of experience in strategy (Disney, Fox) and finance (Oaktree, Merrill Lynch). Tory also has a deep background in entrepreneurship and operations, as the COO and CFO of a venture-backed fintech startup and co-founder of a digital publishing firm with a Top 50 iTunes ranking podcast and over 2 million downloads per month.
- Managed all investment functions including sourcing, market and company research, valuation, negotiation, documentation, and portfolio company support for a US-based venture capital firm with over 20 investments and $100 million AUM.
- Worked closely with portfolio companies to develop pricing, marketing, growth, recruiting, and operational strategies; advised on exit and acquisition opportunities. Implemented deal tracking, due diligence processes, and LP communication protocols.
- Led internal research teams to identify trends and potential investment opportunities in artificial intelligence, blockchain and cryptocurrencies, Internet of Things, robotics and augmented reality.
- Recruited and managed a team of eight MBA associates from Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, Chicago, Columbia, Northwestern, UCLA, and USC.
- Accomplished the following investment highlight: Factual: Geotargeted data-mining platform for the $40+ billion location-based advertising market.
- Accomplished the following investment highlight: Gem: Operating system for the development of applications in the blockchain.
- Accomplished the following investment highlight: ChowNow: SaaS online ordering product serving the $1.4 billion independent restaurant market.
- Accomplished the following investment highlight: Parasail Health: Automated lender serving the $200+ billion market for out-of-pocket medical expenditures.
- Accomplished the following investment highlight: Market: Amplify. an LA-backed on-demand sales marketplace for popular brands.
- Accomplished the following investment highlight: Winc: Subscription-based, digitally-native vertical brand serving the $60+ billion domestic wine market.
Capital Technologies (www.captec.io)
- Led day-to-day operations and deliver on the execution of strategic directives for Capital, a New York-based fintech startup that is backed by several Tier I VC firms. Capital is a portfolio company of Tiller Partners.
- Management: Directly managed the executive team, conducted weekly 1:1s with department heads, and fostered their professional growth as leaders.
- Strategy: Ran organizational planning and business rhythm processes in alignment with all other functions to develop vision, mission, goals, objectives and key results (OKRs), resource and capital plans, etc...
- Operations: Established an operating rhythm for the business that included annual strategic offsites, QBRs, weekly departmental meetings and retros, daily standups and weekly All-Hands meetings.
- Reporting: Developed, tracked, and automated key OKRs and KPIs across the team and oversaw the creation, management, and delivery of executive level reporting, including weekly, monthly and quarterly status reports.
- Recruiting: Owned and grew the recruiting operations and oversaw new employee on-boarding and training programs.
- Corp. Dev.: Spearheaded and executed business and corporate development opportunities ranging from key partnerships to potential acquisitions.
- FP&A: Managed the budget including annual, quarterly, and monthly expense tracking, measure and track ROI, and reconcile and explain discrepancies.
- Fundraising: Served as the primary point of contact for investors and supported fundraising through the creation of pitch decks, financial models, and data rooms.
- Raised $14 million from Future Ventures, Greycroft, Partech, Wavemaker, AME Cloud Ventures (Yahoo founder Jerry Yang's fund) and angels including Howard Morgan ( Rentech /First Round Capital) and Stuart Roden (former Chairman of Lansdowne Partners).
- Authored the article “Why the Next Unicorns May Not Come from Silicon Valley”: While replicating the success of Silicon Valley in terms of traditional IT may be difficult, the emergence of frontier technologies in affordable areas may lead to the creation of new technology hubs. Detroit, in particular, shows promise in the race for the autonomous car. What factors are causing the rebirth of the “Paris of the Midwest”? Read more at http://www.businessinsider.com/the-next-big-unicorn-wont-come-from-silicon-valley-2017-1.
- Wrote the article “Why Spies Make the Best Entrepreneurs”: Israel produces more start-ups per capita than any nation in the world, and much of this is driven by two military intelligence units that are more selective than Stanford or Harvard. What secrets do the members of the fabled 8100 and 8200 know? Read more at http://www.businessinsider.com/israeli-cyber-spies-are-becoming-top-entrepreneurs-2016-8.
- Contributed the article “The Unlikely Heirs to the Dollar Shave Club Crown”: Companies such as Dollar Shave Club and Warby Parker have brought consumer product start-ups to the forefront, breaking the age-old myth that only “tech” companies are suitable for venture investing. How did they break the mold and what are the criteria that will spawn the next unicorn in the space? Read more at http://www.businessinsider.com/who-is-the-next-dollar-shave-club-2016-7.
Co-Founder and COO/CFO
The Art of Charm
- Oversaw all aspects of business operations, including strategy, sales, marketing, recruiting, management, finance, and business development for a digital media start-up that promotes the development of advanced social skills.
- Guided leadership team in formulating a new strategic direction and established a performance-based measurement and management system that successfully increased revenues by over 500%.
- Created and implemented a marketing plan that drove a 10-fold increase in online traffic.
- Implemented a budgeting process and financial controls that grew operating margins and supported the development of a stable and profitable business model.
- Reorganized the company's leadership team and organizational structure, oversaw the hiring and development of eight additional employees and six additional contractors.
Director, Corporate Strategy
21st Century Fox
- Worked closely with senior corporate executives to devise long-term strategies and to analyze business development opportunities for an 800-person digital media business unit of News Corporation.
- Led all aspects of the investment process, including M&A strategy, strategic fit analysis, deal sourcing, execution, negotiation and post-acquisition monitoring. Individually evaluated and made investment recommendations on dozens of potential transactions.
- Developed the business plan and operating model for new business launches.
- Created the annual strategic plan and budget for presentation to the CEO, CFO, and Board of Directors.
- Managed two analysts in Los Angeles and operational contacts in Berlin.
- Selected assignments: 1) Launch of bitbop, a subscription-based mobile TV and VOD service for smartphones. 2) Partnered with a leading advertising agency to explore the acquisition of a mobile ad network. 3) Warrant investment in a publicly-listed mobile content management and delivery platform. 4) Identified global growth opportunities for the CMO and created a framework to assist operating personnel in the exploration of distribution partnerships with retailers, internet portals, OEMs and wireless carriers. 5) Led operational teams in an in-depth cost benchmarking study to identify $3 million in potential savings.
Oaktree Capital Management
- Served as one of nine professionals investing a $1 billion buyout fund as part of Oaktree Capital Management’s independently-managed energy investment strategy.
- Performed extensive industry, company, and financial due diligence. Analyzed industry attractiveness, competitive landscape, and customer dynamics.
- Developed detailed financial models to integrate diligence findings and evaluate investment returns under various scenarios.
- Worked with leading lending institutions to evaluate financing options and to establish credit facilities. Managed legal, accounting and tax due diligence teams. Helped coordinate and negotiate transaction documentation.
- Monitored the operational and financial performance of portfolio companies, interacted with senior executives, evaluated exit and add-on acquisition opportunities, and participated in board meetings and board-level discussions.
- Selected assignments: 1) $80 million leveraged buyout of NORESCO. 2) $160 million leveraged buyout of Elgin National Industries. 3) $55 million growth equity investment in GoodCents Solutions.
Senior Analyst, Corporate Strategy
The Walt Disney Company
- Worked closely with senior corporate management and operating executives to devise long-term strategies and develop new businesses. Focused primarily on the company’s international cable initiatives.
- Analyzed industry attractiveness based on competitive, customer, and macroeconomic analyses.
- Built and analyzed detailed operational models to evaluate potential investment opportunities.
- Evaluated deal terms and term sheets/contracts.
- Analyzed detailed business plan and deal terms for the launch of a Disney Channel in India.
- Partnered with business units to perform market overviews and determine the strategic and financial feasibility of the launch of a Disney Channel in China.
Analyst, Mergers & Acquisitions
- Ranked in the top 10% of analysts worldwide and appointed to Analyst Advisory Panel.
- Evaluated the strategic and financial feasibility of proposed mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, spin-offs, and joint ventures while leveraging buyouts in a variety of industries.
- Valued public and private companies through various methodologies, including pro forma combination, public comparables, acquisition comparables, leveraged buyout, discounted cash flow, and affordability analyses.
- Managed business and financial due diligence.
- Selected assignments: 1) Represented Lexa Partners (Edgar Bronfman Jr.) in a $14 billion joint bid with The Blackstone Group, Thomas H. Lee Partners and Cablevision Systems Corp. for Vivendi Universal Entertainment. 2) Advised Ingersoll International Inc. on its abandoned $100 million sale to a private equity firm.
Bachelor's Degree in Economics
Stanford University - Stanford, CA, USA
Candidate for Bachelor of Science Degree in Economics and Nuclear Engineering
United States Military Academy - West Point, NY, USA