Principal Product Consultant2019 - PRESENTProduct Tranquility
- Helped technology businesses accelerate their product growth and increase customer loyalty.
- Provided product management and strategy consulting services to growth-stage technology companies that operate primarily in the B2B SaaS or marketplace areas.
- Offered services including customer churn/retention improvement, product strategy and roadmap development, competitive analysis and positioning, product management execution, market segmentation and user research, and pricing analysis.
Program Leader2019 - PRESENTKellogg School of Management - Northwestern University
- Served as a program leader for Kellogg's Executive Education Professional Certificate in Digital Marketing course.
- Helped train the next generation of digital marketing leaders in the following cutting edge areas of digital marketing: marketing fundamentals, customer research and segmentation, customer personas and positioning, customer journeys, content marketing, paid search and SEO, paid and organic social media, brand development and storytelling, email marketing, conversion rate optimization, and metrics and testing.
Independent Travel Consultant2018 - 2019Viajero Ltd
- Independently envisioned, planned and executed a 21 country round-the-world expedition as part of a long-term personal dream goal. I volunteered for two positions each one month in length.
- Performed daily service in the dishing temple, creating a hygienic and festive experience at Ängsbacka (Molkom, Sweden), an intentional community offering festivals and workshops focused on bringing about broad-scale change in human possibility.
- Assisted the founding team with digital marketing, including social media, SEO, conversion tracking improvements, and website A/B testing for Spanish Adventure (San Carlos, Colombia), a small Spanish language school in rural Colombia focused on helping individuals attain the best possible Spanish language immersion experience in the world.
Head of Product2016 - 2017LawnStarter
- Assisted the company in growing customer base 10x through various product initiatives including revamped onboarding, automated communications, and logistical improvements.
- Increased additional services acceptance rates 150% through request and fulfillment automation.
- Implemented technology and operational process changes leading 300% faster issue resolution between engineering and customer support.
- Researched, maintained and published product metrics using Tableau and SQL.
- Created and executed company strategy for Product A/B Testing.
- Sourced, interviewed, and hired the company's first data scientist.
- Administered JIRA and Confluence Cloud platforms for the engineering team.
Product Strategy Principal2015 - 2016SolarWinds
- Led strategy and new product development for SolarWinds' Cloud (SaaS) business, reporting directly to SolarWinds' CTO.
- Oversaw new product definition, market and customer needs analysis, competitive analysis, white-space opportunity identification, and product road-map definition.
- Created pricing, packaging, and go-to-market strategy for new key product initiatives.
- Defined partnership and business development initiatives.
- Recommended life cycle strategy for some of SolarWinds' legacy products.
Group Product Manager2014 - 2015SolarWinds
- Grew revenue 100% over two years for our enterprise-class virtualization management product. Helped formulate and then implement an integration strategy to dramatically improve cross-sell and attach rates with the core product portfolio.
- Increased unit volume by 66% in the first full quarter after release of SolarWinds’ enterprise storage monitoring product by analyzing customer segments, company competency, and sales strategy and building out strategy and v1 of replacement product. Within the first year of release (2015), SolarWinds Storage Resource Monitor won "Storage Management Product of the Year" in the Storage, Virtualization, and Cloud Awards.
- Put in charge of multiple “CEO #1 Priority” projects including a company-wide initiative to build customer awareness of other products by leveraging product as a marketing channel for cross-selling lead generation.
- Led and mentored a team of product managers, helping them remove roadblocks and inform strategic decisions.
- Collaborated closely with design, architecture, and engineering to deliver new products and delightful user experiences on time.
Senior Product Manager2013 - 2014SolarWinds
- Increased profitability of products 40% by investing in supportability features offering a high return on investment.
- Led the product management team feedback process from sales engineering.
- Improved the product management team's hiring process.
- Led customer training webinars for several products at the company's virtual conference, ThwackCamp.
- Drove Agile release processes into the development cycle to accelerate product release cycles by 50%.
Product Manager2012 - 2013SolarWinds
- Improved customer on-boarding process, accelerating customer time to value 100% in a single release.
- Drove company's mobile strategy and accelerated mobile app release cycles for iOS and Android platforms.
- Established partnerships with 3rd party hardware vendors' engineering teams, decreasing customer issue resolution times by 50%.
- Interviewed hundreds of IT management pros to learn about the contextual use of our product.
- Partnered with product marketing to create a brand new pricing and packaging strategy.
Product Marketing Intern2011 - 2011Location Labs
- Created a freemium strategy for the company’s location-based services applications and presented recommendations to the CEO and senior executive team.
- Constructed competitive analysis of the “Distracted Driving” mobile application landscape which secured government agency support of our DriveSmart Plus application.
- Formed relationships with key partners to support the company’s new brand launch.
- Acquired expert knowledge of the pros and cons of Freemium business models.
- Built financial model sensitivity analysis for the freemium business model.
Software Engineering Group Manager2008 - 2010National Instruments
- Developed and prioritized an 18-month product roadmap with 70 driver software features for new $150 million revenue per year hardware product line, then presented a plan to three vice presidents.
- Implemented process improvements around software defect and feature management that reduced outstanding defect backlog of the team by 75 percent, saving more than $150,000.
- Performed team leader responsibilities for 9 person team which included interviewing, conducting staff performance evaluations, salary planning, mentoring and budgeting.
- Improved testing efficiency of multiple product teams by 300 percent by isolating, prioritizing, and championing improvements of automated test infrastructure.
- Directed a 10 percent increase in developer efficiency by adopting a continuous build system that isolated new problems in the code and created daily transparency on the health of the software.
- Instituted continuous innovation practices within my team which resulted in multiple innovation proposals including a presentation to two division vice presidents regarding significant changes to our software architecture which would net a 100 percent increase in large customer upgrade efficiency.
Product Owner2007 - 2008National Instruments
- Led a cross-functional management team in evaluating commercially available software test products and designing a replacement system that would result in a net benefit of $1 million annually.
- Presented to 50 test engineers at NIWeek, the company's global customer conference, on three key hardware architectures leading to increased customer adoption of new hardware platforms.
- Streamlined decision making of software project with 14 engineers working on a $200 million per year product line by assuming the role of project lead, resulting in promotion to group manager position within 4.5 years, fastest among peers.
Software Engineer2003 - 2006National Instruments
- Developed four independent features from design through release for kernel-level driver software that resulted in closing customer accounts worth over $7,000,000 in total sales.
- Led Marketing Leadership Training Program project team on a four month project to design a defensive market strategy resulting in additional committed R&D expenses of over $100,000.
- Implemented and improved upon a complex calibration algorithm for analog input measurements.
- Coordinated cross-group efforts to successfully implement software events support.
- Managed and implemented improvements to groups’ automated test suite.