Verified Expert in Product Management
Derek has 20 years of experience growing businesses by thrilling customers and solving real-world problems. He has served in roles ranging from VP of marketing to CTO and CEO. His expertise bridges the gap between executive vision and technical execution when delivering complex solutions at an enterprise scale. With his hands-on style and “get it done” attitude, Derek has worked with global firms such as Facebook, Cisco, Cemex, Coca-Cola, Ford, and many SMBs and startups.
Product Master Data Management
Public Commercial Real Estate Company
- Took charge of the critical data infrastructure required for master data management (MDM) of four petabytes of data globally.
- Managed both political and technical aspects of revamping an organization that we maligned with a poor reputation for the quality of service.
- Transformed how MDM was handled and improved match rates from under 60% to over 90% by implementing appropriate data filtering and scrubbing techniques, pushing quality to the edge systems.
- Improved net promoter score (NPS) from highly negative to positive in only 12 months, instilling confidence in the MDM process across the organization.
- Performed a pre-launch MVP analysis against market requirements to confirm product market fit and suitability of the built platform.
- Provided the founder with a roadmap of changes needed before MVP launch and a backlog of changes for post-launch.
- Advised the founder on go-to-market strategies to best position their new product in the real estate space.
Technical Product Manager
- Collaborated with the founder to define innovative multi-family pricing forecasts using AI.
- Built and tested AI models for pricing prediction.
- Implemented MVP product for live market testing with real estate development projects.
- Collaborated with executive leadership and product experts to perform gap analysis for a product merger.
- Designed and implemented an advanced document management system and workflow system.
- Enabled the business to close the product gaps to migrate customers over the course of nine months.
- Collaborated with the founder to define the requirements for a stock and crypto lending application.
- Negotiated know your customer (KYC) and stock custodian capabilities and integration paths for development.
- Defined crypto protocols for buying, selling, and storing crypto for each customer account, including locking assets used as collateral.
Technical Product Manager
Invygo Tech FZ
- Cooperated with the client to redefine their accounting procedures.
- Developed new technical approaches to reconciling accounts with vendors and customers.
- Created on-demand pricing capabilities for vendors to initiate pricing changes on their marketplace platform.
Product Manager | CTO | Architect
New Economy Ventures SPC
- Designed and implemented finance protocols to manage stock, crypto, and other asset management custodianship and transactions.
- Collaborated with the founder to define a vision for a stock trading application.
- Designed UI for a mobile-first application and marketing websites.
- Consulted with client executive leadership on ways to improve their product management processes.
- Designed their next-generation workflow management solution that bridged the activities of buyers and sellers in their marketplace application.
- Ideated and designed a configurable administration capability that replaced hard-coded business rules.
Chief Product Officer | Chief Operating Officer
- Designed, built, and scaled a B2B SaaS supply chain and contract management fintech product to over 3,000% in four years with no outside capital.
- Managed the marketing, product, QA, internal and global third-party engineering teams directly.
- Served as the primary SME for complex sales and implementation situations, defined repeatable processes to establish business requirements, determined the scope, and implemented solutions on a global scale.
- Oversaw the ongoing backlog management of the desired platform features and functions. Defined functionalities that enforced regulatory compliance. Led efforts to work with clients to determine the optimal user experience on various devices.
- Led the international expansion to Europe, GCC, and South America, including market research, product launch, and localization efforts.
- Managed the transition from private cloud hosting to the AWS Cloud.
- Provided solutions to companies like Azadea, Cemex, Coca-Cola, Rituals, MAF, Camping World, and hundreds of other companies.
- Led a team that implemented over 600 corporate clients integrating with their ERP and CRM systems via API, microservices, RPA, Auth0, and Okta.
- Leveraged blockchain technology to provide industry-leading documents and contract management security.
VP of Product and Marketing
Redwood Systems | Commscope
- Oversaw the Redwood System's strategy, supply chain, PR, product marketing, product development, and product management. Redwood Systems, acquired by CommScope in 2013, was a leading provider of intelligent building infrastructure controls.
- Designed and patented a system that provides low-voltage power, LED lighting control, and artificial intelligence and machine learning-driven IoT smart building sensors.
- Designed both hardware and software products from ideation to delivery. This platform included B2C native iOS and Android building control apps as well as a B2B2C smart building control platform.
- Leveraged sophisticated big data techniques, MapReduce, and AI to build predictive building controls.
- Ensured that our product suite exceeded customer expectations by providing an enhanced client ROI and satisfaction for firms such as Microsoft, Facebook, and Google.
- Positioned effectively Redwood Systems as a disruptive force in the market, driving exceptional levels of product demand and extreme revenue growth.
- Enabled a global third-party B2B distribution network, providing, ordering, fulfillment, support, and training for our global trade partner reseller network.
VP of Product | Product Owner
Skire | Oracle
- Led product management for Skire (now Oracle), which provides a business process-based marketplace platform for use by the largest global organizations to manage their most complex capital projects, contracts, and financial processes.
- Led a team that was responsible for the vision, roadmap, development, and go-to-market strategy (from ideation to launch) of the next generation of Skire's business process management platform.
- Designed, built, and launched a new product for project accounting. The result was a product that was responsible for over 30% of the companies go forward revenue.
- Spearheaded product ownership discipline as part of a highly successful rollout of agile development.
SVP of Technology Products
- Managed technology for Colliers International, a leader in global real estate.
- Led a team that managed multiple B2B SaaS fintech products and marketplaces that facilitated billions of dollars worth of property contracts and related financial transactions.
- Served as Colliers' chief technology evangelist, advocating internally for customer requirements and externally introducing technology possibilities to a conservative marketplace that is generally slow to adopt new technologies.
- Managed three separate third-party development teams in different global locations for different product lines.
SVP Product and Marketing | CEO
WorkplaceIQ | Accruent
- Hired to lead the international rollout of a revolutionary B2B SaaS real estate contract and transaction management product and was rapidly promoted to CEO of the firm.
- Transformed an internationally headquartered, engineering-focused organization into a US-based, customer-oriented cohesive team, reducing costs while increasing customer satisfaction and both top-line revenue and profitability.
- Delivered mission-critical financial solutions to firms such as Cisco, ExxonMobil, and Sports Authority.
Co-founder | CTO
Virtual Premise | CoStar
- Served as a co-founder and personally conceptualized, designed, and managed the development of the real estate market's first SaaS lease administration tool. The product has facilitated over $250 billion in annual real estate transaction volume.
- Oversaw and was directly responsible for the sales and implementation of clients such as Ford Motor Company, US Bank, Boeing, ADP, ACS, and URS.
- Bootstrapped the company's growth from founding to over $20 million in ARR over four years before selling the company to CoStar.
VP of Engineering
- Led the delivery of the energy industry's first B2B2C SaaS energy sustainability product suite. This suite of tools facilitated some of the first web-based loyalty marketing programs deployed by major corporations in any market.
- Led a team that designed and built software that is still used by consumers each year to help reduce their personal energy consumption. In aggregate, it helps utility companies keep power prices low and lower their overall carbon footprint.
- Invented tools that enabled a redundant web-hosting capability for multi-tenant, SaaS delivery of products long before such was a common practice.
Mobile-first Consumer Travel Reservation Platform
Built a revolutionary travel reservation portal from the ground up through launch.
The system then uses AI to determine the best travel experience based upon the most streamlined and time effective itinerary. The system then produces the best travel routing between all locations along the trip and then executes the various reservations required. The system incorporates a full accounting and reservation stack and integrations with over 50 third-party tools via API and RPA.
IoT Sensor Network Platform | Smart Buildings
Led, from the ground up, the design of both hardware and software for an IoT sensor network product ecosystem.
The software platform included a B2B2C SaaS application that coordinated the back-haul of data to a data warehouse, a configurable dashboard for end users, and an AI layer to provide predictive building responses to the sensor and video inputs. The mobile component of the platform enabled people in the building to interact with the building's lighting, AC, and other environmental systems. Finally, the hardware components included third-party commercially available sensors plugged into our platform and a custom sensor where we did the electrical engineering and built the sensors themselves.
The same platform also applies to the agriculture market, where our sensors detect subtle and granular temperatures in plants to reveal potential health, quality, and yield issues across crops, and when combined with CO2, humidity, soil, and air quality sensors can drastically improve crop productivity.
Mobile Cash, Stock and Crypto Wallet with Lending Facility
Interconnected multiple third-party FINRA registered services to provide a seamless single pain of glass financial wallet.
Product Information Management and Syndication | eCommerce
Led an initiative to design a configurable workflow engine for eCommerce product information syndication.
Iconia LIMS for Seed to Sale | IoT Integration Platform
Built a B2B SaaS ERP/POS solution for the agriculture industry with fully integrated environmental and quality testing.
We automated the entire business workflow from planting the seed through the control of environmental grow conditions, to regulatory reporting and finally to the eCommerce, POS, and B2B trade engagement platforms.
Multi-step Delivery Optimization Mobile Application
Built a system to optimize the delivery schedules for various consumer goods.
We built these routes using AI to consider the starting and ending location of the delivery drivers, the locations of warehouses, locations of delivery locations, the volume of goods to be delivered, and traffic patterns (including things like making right turns only). These routes and delivery instructions were then published on a mobile-first platform similar to Uber or Lyft.
Healthcare ICD-9 Analysis | HIPAA Big Data
Built a system to analyze over a terabyte of ICD9 medical data to determine statistically expected outcomes and survivability.
Arabic Language Mobile Stock/Crypto Trading Application
Designed a stock trading platform to allow investors in the Middle East to easily purchase stock/crypto in markets across the globe.
Workflow Engine for a Commercial Master Data Management System
Led the design of a configurable workflow engine for managing data acquired from multiple third-party sources, the reconciliation and approval of that data, and the ultimate syndication of that data to third-party systems.
Oil Industry LIMS | High Volume Analytics
Deployed a LIMS system for a major oil company in Houston.
Published Database Development Author
Published five books on database design, development, and management.
Chairman of Industry Data Standards Grouphttps://www.oscre.org/
Served as the chairman of the OSCRE Lease Administration Workgroup (2006-2009).
Management of Social Media Campaigns
Ran multiple political campaigns on social media platforms.
Master's Degree in Software Management
Carnegie Mellon University - Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Master's Degree in Strategic Business Management
Indiana University, Bloomington - Bloomington, IN, USA
Bachelor's Degree in Real Estate and Finance
Georgia State University - Atlanta, GA, USA
Bachelor's Degree in Chemistry
Vanderbilt University - Nashville, TN, USA
Masters of Corporate Real Estate
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring