Verified Expert in Product Management
Matthew is a 3x startup founder turned product manager with 12 years of startup and corporate innovation experience. As a product leader for companies in different stages and industries, he has worn many hats, from raising capital for his B2C startup to leading a publicly-traded enterprise's B2B offshoot to over $1 million in first-year revenue. Matthew loves the start-to-finish process of creating, scaling, and improving joyful tech products with world-class complete user experiences.
Startup Consultant | General Manager
- Oversaw business formation from the ideation stage to a successful launch and established product-market fit as the sole full-time operator and primary business strategist.
- Framed the roadmap for one clear high-potential business direction narrowed down from multiple ideas through customer discovery and market analysis.
- Developed the go-to-market strategy, pro forma, and fundraising materials to help raise an $850k pre-product seed round.
- Identified, hired, and managed over 20 contractors and vendors, from branding and third party logistics partners to SEO, marketing, and software developers.
- Maintained a 20% conversion rate with a rapidly growing top-of-funnel marketing activity by analyzing free trial customer journeys and creating activity-based user messaging.
- Evaluated and implemented a new development process (Basecamp's Shape Up) for a technical team expanding beyond a technical founder.
- Trained new product support and marketing hires in developer collaboration (ticketing, quality assurance, etc.).
- Grew to over $1 million in first-year sales as the lead product manager for the beta program of a white-label product for a publicly-traded enterprise client.
- Implemented Kanban development practice as the sole product manager on a fully remote team of about ten engineers.
- Started regular collaboration between product, marketing, sales, and support teams to break communication silos effectively.
- Created the sprint-to-market process for rapid new venture ideation and market testing. Validated go-to-market strategies for the successful initial launch.
- Led consulting for clients ranging from established large enterprises to independent founders.
- Executed paid digital advertising tests to validate product value propositions, brand strategies, and go-to-market strategies.
Founder | CEO
- Grew to a marketplace of approximately 3,000 social media influencers and 100 active brands/marketers.
- Interviewed, hired, and managed our team, which ranged from four to six employees.
- Raised several hundred thousand dollars in growth capital as the sole founder after reaching bootstrapped sustainability.
Adproval Influencer and Brand Marketplace
Sole founder/CEO of startup leading design, development, and growth to thousands of users for one of the first brand and influencer marketing marketplaces.
As the sole founder, I was responsible for product ideation, go-to-market strategy, design and development oversight, fundraising, customer support, digital marketing, and growth. Adproval reached thousands of active influencers and over one hundred active brands on our self-service marketplace platform.
Self-Service Platform for Enterprise Client
Led a team of three developers and one designer to build and support a white-label self-serve solution for an enterprise client that topped $1 million in first-year transactions.
The main challenge was to coordinate communication and development rhythms between our internal team (who was doing the heavy lifting) and the enterprise client (who needed to communicate up their organization for buy-in). This was solved by regimenting and managing a development system and communication cadence that created the visibility our client needed into our progress without burdening our development team with excessive red tape.
Bachelor's Degree in Entrepreneurship and Corporate Innovation, Business Management, and International Business
Indiana University - Bloomington, Indiana
Product Leadership Certificate
Full-stack Web Development