With more than 22 years of experience as an IT entrepreneur, Steve has the depth of product management experience to deliver innovative solutions for pressing customer problems. He co-founded four technology companies, two of which he played a key role in growing and guiding through to acquisition: Plato Consulting (sold to KPMG in 2013) and Camouflage Software, Inc. (sold to Imperva in 2016).
ExpertiseAgileBusiness StrategyG SuiteProduct ManagementSQL
CTO | Product Manager | Co-founder
- Worked as a vital member of the leadership team responsible for defining the product vision, strategy, and roadmap.
- Communicated about the statuses of leading content creation, blogging, and website.
- Drove business strategy through market research.
- Contributed hands-on to Python programming and hardware/software architecture (IoT, Raspberry Pi).
- Worked with the following core technologies: Python, Raspberry Pi, Linux, TensorFlow, OpenCV, G Suite, Google Maps, and 3D printing.
- Designed and developed an automated data analysis leveraging AI and ML (Tensorflow, OpenCV).
- Researched the market and competitors to determine the security product's vision.
- Worked closely with customers to gather key requirements and define compelling user stories.
- Managed the product backlog in an Agile/Scrum setting.
- Wrote blogs and recorded promotional videos in collaboration with marketing.
- Worked closely with cross-functional teams (sales, marketing, development, and legal) to align the product offering with market needs and corporate strategy.
- Worked with the following technologies: Atlassian Jira, Confluence, Microsoft 365, and G Suite.
Chief Technologist, Camouflage
- Helped, post-acquisition, drive technology adoption and knowledge transfer.
- Established data masking and data classification product vision, roadmap, and releases.
- Worked closely with sales/marketing to define the pitch deck and other collateral to support the buying journey.
- Led the successful rapid development of freeware data classification tool in support of marketing lead generation.
- Worked closely with customers to gather key requirements and define compelling use cases.
- Wrote blogs and delivered webinars in collaboration with marketing.
- Collaborated with cross-functional teams (sales, marketing, development, legal) to align the product offering with market needs and corporate strategy.
- Worked remotely with geographically distributed teams (the US, Canada, Israel, and Europe).
CTO | Product Manager | Co-founder
Camouflage Software, Inc.
- Worked with stakeholders/customers to define vision for data security products.
- Defined the product from inception through many iterations and successful public releases.
- Worked cross-functionally as pre-sales engineer and implementation consultant for many long-standing Fortune 500 clients.
- Helped define the go-to-market strategy, sales pitch, and marketing collateral.
- Provided briefings to help ensure favorable analyst coverage.
- Promoted company/product through presentations and speaking at conferences and blogs.
- Named as lead inventor on two patents.
- Collaborated with the Agile development team—managing the backlog, user stories, and sprints.
- Worked with finance on financial modeling for budgeting, to secure funding, and more.
- Acted as the key member of the leadership team leading up to the successful acquisition by Imperva in 2016.
- Worked with the following technologies/methodologies: Agile, Kanban, Java, data masking, data classification, and data subsetting.
Co-founder | Solutions Architect | PeopleSoft Implementation Consultant
- Helped define/execute the business plan to grow and diversify consulting revenues.
- Worked as a key member of the leadership team—leading up to the successful acquisition by KPMG in 2013.
- Led the development in an enterprise data masking spin-off company (Camouflage).
- Worked within an ERP implementation team for Fortune 500 companies.
- Gathered requirements, designed technical architectures, and delivered well-tested and documented code/processes.
- Defined and delivered ERP product customizations and legacy data conversions.
- Designed, implemented, and optimized data models and queries for a number of relational database engines.
- Managed development team activities, resourcing, reporting, and more.
- Spearheaded the network architecture design and implementation including disaster recovery planning.
- Defined, developed, tested, and documented the HR/payroll/benefits/financials processes during numerous successful ERP implementations.
- Provided ERP upgrade consulting services to private and public sector clients.
- Worked with the following technologies: PeopleSoft, ADP Enterprise, Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, DB2, PostgreSQL, MySQL, Linux, and Windows.
Newtel Information Solutions
- Participated in the successful upgrade of PeopleSoft ERP for three telcos in the Atlantic Provinces (Canada).
- Analyzed and designed payroll/GL interfaces (including legacy systems).
- Designed tables, menus and process definitions, security policies, and legacy data conversion/importing for PeopleSoft HR/payroll/benefits modules.
- Led the successful development and implementation of electronic personnel action forms.
- Used the following tools/technologies: Lotus Notes/Domino, PeopleTools (PeopleCode, Data/Menu/Panel/Business Process Workflow), Designer, Import Manager, Application Upgrader, Operator Security), SQL, SQR, Oracle, and Microsoft SQL Server.
Co-founder | Vice President of Marketing | System Administrator
Net Works Internet Services
- Co-founded a website design company at a time when the world wide web was just gathering steam.
- Worked with my partners to create a business plan, obtain funding and acquire/configure the required servers.
- Implemented system administration of Windows (NT)-based web, email, DNS, and FTP servers.
- Coded the website including the interactive forms.
- Was awarded, along with another recipient, The P.J. Gardiner Award for Small Business and Entrepreneurship (Memorial University of Newfoundland, St. John’s, NL).
- Used the following technologies: WindowsNT, HTML, CGI (C/C++), and IIS.
Data Classification: Streamlined User Experience
Led the introduction of a new data classification product to significantly streamline data security tool configuration.
Success was clear when the second customer to try the new product asked, “How did you ever do this before you had classification?”
Rebuilt Tech Stack of Classification Product
Led rebuild of tech stack for a data classification product to improve scaling and performance.
Data Masking: Successful Acquisition by Imperva
Worked as the prime product expert for the acquisition of Camouflage Data Masking by Imperva in 2016
Bachelor of Commerce Degree with Honors in Business Administration
Memorial University of Newfoundland - St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada