Verified Expert in Engineering
Scala, Java, & Python Developer
Ahmed is a software and systems engineer carrying over 15 years of experience designing and implementing highly scalable applications. He is mainly a C++, Rust, Python, Scala, and Java developer but can fluently work with nearly 10 programming languages and frameworks. He is a functional programming evangelist, the author of a book titled "Getting Started with Memcached," and a reviewer of several Python programming books.
GitHub, MacOS, Linux, Vim Text Editor
The most amazing...
...thing I've designed is the control plane for one of the largest distributed log systems in the world at Meta (LogDevice and Scribe).
- Worked on delivering the next-generation integration of Stripe with Klarna globally.
- Acted as the tech lead for over 15 wallet payment method integrations.
- Drove investigations of critical incidents and led the mitigations impacting some of Stripe's largest Connect platform customers.
Staff Production Engineer
- Ensured the production readiness and reliability of the services and products. Participated in every significant engineering decision across the company while embedded in products and infrastructure teams.
- Led the design and implementation of LogDevice's control plane and its integration with the rest of the infrastructure. Led an organization-level project that defined the 5-year vision and execution plan of the future of data-ingestion systems.
- Author of Python-nubia (https://github.com/facebookincubator/python-nubia). It started as a hackathon project but evolved to become the primary framework for several shell-based CLI tools across the company.
Senior Software Architect
- Refactored and designed a scalable gaming server for Lumba's state-of-the-art Tribal Rivals game.
- Worked on DevOps automation and a full continuous integration and delivery pipeline with Ansible, Docker, and Jenkins.
- Designed a caching infrastructure for the game that enabled horizontal scalability of the game server.
Director of R&D, Co-founder
Cloud Niners Information Systems
- Led the design and development of products, managing innovation at every step in the product lifecycle. Ensured successful execution of the company’s mission of building web-scale applications that are blazingly fast and aesthetically pleasing.
- Led the Architecture and DevOps teams while working with multiple international customers.
Senior Software Engineer
- Worked as one of the core developers on the company’s core product (DSS/AmpliStor). Handled design, code, documentation, and reviewing, and performed automated software testing in Python, C++, and OCaml.
- Worked closely with teams from SUN Microsystems (Q-Layer) and A-Server for integration with open standard cloud management platforms.
Linux Plus Information Systems L.L.C
- Handled large-scale deployments of the Red Hat stack at enterprise customer data centers.
- Implemented and automated server deployment and service configuration in Bash.
- Provided mission-critical technical support for enterprise-grade customers.
- Developed a custom Java/GWT management interface for a Red Hat directory server.
Instructor and Project Engineer
Origin IBM ATC
- Trained over 250 students and graduates on .NET technology.
- Trained over 200 students and graduates on Linux administration, security, and networking.
- Supervised graduation projects of governmental scholarship for graduates in the information technology field.
- Built a SCORM-compliant LMS for a Cairo IT company.
Really | Scalable Back-end for Real-time Apps
Python, Scala, C++, Java, Bash, CoffeeScript, C#, XML, Java 8, Rust, Ruby
Akka, OAuth 2, Play Framework, Django REST Framework, Apache Thrift, Django, AngularJS, gRPC
REST, Concurrent Programming, Scrum, Functional Reactive Programming
Linux, MacOS, Red Hat Linux, Solaris, Android
Redis, RocksDB, MySQL, Couchbase, Cassandra, MongoDB, Distributed Databases, Hazelcast
WebSockets, Distributed Systems, Web Services, Graphite, Software Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Reliability Engineering
IntelliJ IDEA, GitHub, Sublime Text, Grafana, Bazel, Vim Text Editor
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Engineering
Mansoura University - Mansoura, Egypt
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring