Senior Software Engineer2016 - PRESENTBlizzard Entertainment
Technologies: Unity3D, C#, C++
- Worked on the Hearthstone team to develop new out of game features like the Heroic Brawl.
- Fixed a countless, almost never-ending cascade of bugs through both one-off methods and medium-scale refactoring of legacy code.
Software Engineer2012 - 2016Riot Games
- Built a custom ETL pipeline for the big data team in Ruby.
- Built and iterated on an R&D game using Unity3D for the client and C# game and utility servers on the back-end.
Software Engineer2008 - 2012Zope Corp
- Worked on the Z4M CMS platform. Developed both the Python server back-end and the HTML5 front-end web app.
- Worked on a customer loyalty phone application using Cordova.
- Maintained and built onto a huge suite of automated tests including E2E payment processing.
- Did standard DevOps-related tasks like managing deployments and debugging faulty instances.
- Hearthstone Work (Other amazing things)http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/blog/20720845/wild-heroic-tavern-brawl-is-coming-5-2-2017
I did the client side implementation for both Heroic Brawl and the Fireside Gatherings features.
- FuETL (Development)
FuETL was a proprietary ETL solution myself and a few other engineers developed for Riot Games' Big Data department. When I last worked on the project, somewhere in the range of 2000 unique ETL jobs were running every hour multiplied by each applicable region.
We built the back-end pipeline in Ruby and delegated all the heavy lifting to the databases themselves rather than attempting to do things like cross database joins and out of band transformations since those are fraught with peril. Essentially our software managed scheduling, templating, and all other job metadata for processing data.
I also built the front-end by myself using Backbone and Bootstrap. I wasn't actually allotted time to do so, but saw that it was desperately needed by analysts. It was quite a hit and is used by every member of the team.
- Z4M (Development)
I worked on the Z4M media platform for Zope for several years. Z4M was a CMS used by newspapers and news stations to manage publications across several sites with a wide range of media types. I built a variety of features including:
- A video transcoding pipeline.
- A UGC system for reader submitted content including moderation by site administrators.
- Automated the deployment scripts to handle the rolling restarts of all our server instances.
ToolsMicrosoft Visual Studio, AWS SDK
StorageAWS S3, MySQL, AWS DynamoDB
Libraries/APIsjQuery, Backbone.js, Facebook API
- Bachelor's degree in Mathematics and Computer Science2004 - 2008University of Mary Washington - Fredericksburg, VA, USA