Verified Expert in Engineering
Andrew is a forward-thinking technical leader and DevOps specialist with over ten years of industry experience. As an engineer, he's focused, creative, and hard-working, able to build best practice solutions from complex customer requirements. As a technical leader, he's pragmatic, data-driven, and decisive, preferring to demonstrate best practices by leading by example with hands-on work. He's an AWS Certified Solutions Architect with an MEng in software engineering.
MacOS, IntelliJ IDEA, Vim Text Editor, Kubernetes, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Slack, Python, YAML, GitLab, GitLab CI/CD
The most amazing...
...thing I've built is a full-time intensive bootcamp course with custom training material, teaching programming and DevOps skills to adults switching careers.
Engineering Experience Lead
- Rebuilt a dysfunctional EE team, hiring and providing strategic leadership to solve three areas: productivity, engagement, and culture.
- Provided engineers with a rock-solid platform and seamless team collaboration, where they can iterate quickly and ship with confidence.
- Built an inclusive, supportive, and fun environment where people come first. We help them grow and flourish, and they can be proud to work here.
- Helped Wise become a workplace where engineers thrive, facilitating innovation, knowledge sharing, mentoring, contributing to open source, and measuring and reducing toil.
Web Engineering Team Lead
Buddhist Tzu Chi Foundation
- Helped investigate and resolve a major site outage caused by the New Relic agent, degrading PHP performance by 90%, right at the beginning of my engagement, despite no prior domain knowledge with the client.
- Simplified and streamlined the Agile workflow in the team's Jira project to reduce friction for the engineers and make it easier to visualize the work status.
- Implemented fixes for various issues with custom WordPress plugins and theme code across more than ten unique sites, some as part of a large and complex WordPress multisite installation using Elementor, and others were completely hand-crafted.
Lead Developer, Node.js and Infrastructure
- Absorbed a large amount of domain knowledge under time pressure from the departing lead developer; liaised with the product manager and co-founders to plan the roadmap.
- Supported the integration with Terra to fetch data from various fitness wearables APIs and implemented features such as activity notifications to drive user engagement with the app.
- Paired with other engineers to investigate and resolve bugs in production.
AWS DevOps Engineer
Azrieli Ecommerce Ltd.
- Built non-production development and staging environments using Terragrunt infrastructure as code.
- Wrote and deployed Selenium WebDriver browser automation test scripts for New Relic synthetic tests to test the health of application endpoints and basic consumer functionality, e.g., adding a product to the shopping cart, in all environments.
- Rebuilt new environments based on newly refactored pure Terraform code as part of a migration away from Terragrunt and prepared the migration from old environments to new.
Senior DevOps Engineer for Algorithmic Crypto Trading
- Immersed myself in the Polygon (Matic) network tooling—e.g., Bor, Heimdall, Infura, etc. Built multi-stage Dockerfiles and docker-compose config to run Bor in a reproducible container stack with a Web3.js interface.
- Implemented custom tooling (Python and Bash) to provide and set up multiple Bor validator nodes for algorithmic trading, with docker-compose stack running on each node and custom entrypoint script to sync from blockchain snapshot.
- Tested the real-world usage of the node network for trading with proprietary algorithms using Web3.js and documented the step-by-step process of provisioning and setup extensively, as requested by the client.
Developer Experience Lead | Senior Site Reliability Engineer (SRE)
- Led the formation of a DevEx team to tackle dysfunctions within the wider engineering org, collaborating with the VP of engineering.
- Defined the mission as equipping our engineers with superpowers by providing them with best-in-class tools in all development lifecycle stages and proactively tackling inefficiency. Guided the newly-assembled team toward this goal.
- Helped push Curve to new heights, migrate their core platform to EKS, and accelerate dev productivity. Pushing for immutable infrastructure, I rolled out a GitOps workflow using Terraform (Atlantis) and FluxCD.
DevOps Coach and Trainer
Lloyds Banking Group
- Supported LBG’s aggressive recruitment strategy by delivering focused, high-quality technical training to new and existing employees, accelerating the journey toward having modern, high-performance DevOps teams.
- Delivered the course to several cohorts of students, producing 87 new DevOps engineers within one year. Each cohort was followed up with coaching and support through regular one-on-ones and working hands-on with teams.
Head of Site Reliability Engineering
- Defined an ambitious vision for the cloud operations business unit, spearheading a transformational shift towards fully automated processes following SRE principles to allow scaling without increasing fixed costs.
- Supervised 50+ operations engineers, providing 24/7 peace of mind to enterprise-scale public cloud customers, and assembled a team of DevOps engineers to execute the vision of software-enabled operations.
- Reduced internal fixed costs by over $300,000 annually by proactively identifying resource wastage and orchestrating projects to resolve issues.
- Directed a $1 million investment project to replace inefficient internal tooling with numerous sources of return on investment, focusing on solving real user needs to refine the product.
Engineering Manager | DevOps Lead
- Transformed technical architecture to improve quality and efficiency, introducing numerous SDLC best practices to support rapid application development.
- Reported to the board of directors, helped bridge the communication gap between leadership and engineering, and closed sales with key customers generating over £1 million per year in revenue.
- Built both Android and iOS apps from scratch to replace the aging Windows Mobile 6.5 handheld units and usher in a new era of PODFather customers with customers who could use the app on their own existing devices.
Freelance Web Developer
- Developed websites and mobile applications for clients across a broad spectrum of industries such as art and media, dentistry, rental properties, children’s education, and charities.
- Managed the development of application concepts, including research, design, planning, and development. Contracted external roles such as photographer or copywriter where necessary to deliver exceptional results to clients.
- Achieved and sustained the first spot in Google search results for chosen phrases such as "freelance web developer Scotland" through active white-hat SEO.
- Set up and managed shared cPanel web hosting infrastructure, operated from Linux dedicated servers for over a decade with 99.9% availability.
- Enabled rapid growth for local businesses, with some clients achieving a 300% increase in revenue after launching an online presence due to organic search traffic.
GitLab Migration for Curvehttps://www.curve.com
One of the major projects I chose to tackle was inconsistency in our VCS systems and CI tooling. Despite still being a fairly young Series C startup with only 120 engineers, we had repos in both Bitbucket and GitHub, had Jenkins and CircleCI, and our pipeline configurations were all over the place. The pathway to deploy a change to production varied wildly depending on the repo, and we had no consistent scanning or testing in place, both of which caused many other problems.
I decided to embark on an ambitious consolidation plan and had to do a lot of convincing to get engineers to trust my team and me early on and let us make changes, as some of them loved the existing tools.
Eventually, though over six-month planning, implementation, and migration period, I managed to get all repos onto a self-hosted, scalable GitLab instance running in our EKS cluster, with standardized CI/CD templates used by all repos and security scanning for all deployments. I was so satisfied when I finally shut down our Bitbucket and GitHub orgs!
Android and iOS Apps for PODFatherhttps://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.podfather.podfather
After I pitched my demo Android app to the company directors, they were impressed enough to let me build a new team to develop the apps more, and we ended up pivoting the entire business model to center around customers using the smartphone apps rather than the expensive, rugged handhelds they used to have to lease from us.
WordPress Microsite with Animation for NCTech iStar Pulsarhttps://youtu.be/wpkn0yistFg
I built and deployed a customizable WordPress website, including a complex frame-by-frame 3D scrolling animation, then taught them how to modify and add their own content in the future.
Flux, Selenium, React Native
jQuery, Node.js, React, Terragrunt, Web3.js
IntelliJ IDEA, GitLab, Git, GitLab CI/CD, GitHub, Terraform, Helm, AWS IAM, Amazon EKS, Docker Compose, Vim Text Editor, Slack, Jenkins, Amazon Virtual Private Cloud (VPC), WebView, Bitbucket, SailPoint, Grafana, AWS CodeDeploy
DevOps, Management, Hosting, Object-oriented Programming (OOP), Scrum, Agile, Penetration Testing
Kubernetes, Linux, WordPress, cPanel, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Docker, MacOS, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Android, Amazon EC2, Azure, iOS, New Relic, Firebase, Google Cloud SDK, Ethereum, AWS Elastic Beanstalk
Database Management Systems (DBMS), Amazon S3 (AWS S3), MySQL, Cloud Firestore, Datadog, Elasticsearch, PostgreSQL
Software Engineering, Operating Systems, Leadership, CI/CD Pipelines, Training, Cloud, IT, APIs, Web Hosting, Learning, Data Structures, Site Reliability Engineering (SRE), SecOps, Coaching, Networking, AWS DevOps, AWS Certified Solution Architect, Systems, Field Service, Amazon RDS, Okta, Web Security, Payment APIs, Online Payments, Design Systems, Artificial Intelligence (AI), Computer Graphics, Algorithms, Concurrency, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics, Cisco Networking, MinIO, Card Payments, Digital Payments, Argo CD, Wearables, Android Wearables, Crypto, Ethereum Smart Contracts, Technical Writing, Scrum Master, AWS CodePipeline, WordPress Multisite, Elementor
Master's Degree in Software Engineering
Heriot-Watt University - Edinburgh, Scotland
High School Diploma in High School
St Columba's RC High School - Dunfermline, Scotland
Certified Scrum Master
AWS Certified Solutions Architect
Amazon Web Services
Certificate in Systems and Networking
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring