Verified Expert in Engineering
Data Architect and Developer
Art has 25 years of data architecture and cloud-computing consulting experience—mostly in building enterprise data warehouses. Art is an end-to-end solution architect and chief problem solver with a long history of focused execution—according to a statement of work—and successful delivery in a team setting.
Azure, T-SQL (Transact-SQL), Microsoft Power BI, PostgreSQL, PL/SQL, Erwin, Azure Logic Apps, Redshift, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Data Engineering, Architecture, Python, Azure Analysis Services, Databricks, Salesforce, SQL, Data Science, Business Intelligence (BI), Data Visualization, Data Loading, Database Design, Database Schema Design, Reporting, Integration, Amazon S3 (AWS S3), Data Analytics, Technical Leadership, Distributed Systems, Cloud, Algorithms, Leadership, Data Warehouse Design, Consumer Packaged Goods (CPG), Cloud Storage, Data Architecture, Logical Database Design, Database Architecture, Excel 2016, Azure Databricks, Azure Blobs, Azure Queue, Event-driven Architecture
The most amazing...
...software I've developed is a hash join algorithm for joining many tables. This high-volume solution outperformed Db2's table joins by 66%.
Snowflake Data Architect (Contract)
- Designed the Snowflake data hub using data modeling, SQL, and Databricks.
- Created ETL specifications for offshore developers and supported them with guidance and testing.
- Performed data quality testing and validation for Teradata source data and Snowflake target data.
- Optimized and rewrote queries to tune them to the highest level of performance.
MDM Data Architect
- Implemented the customer master subject area in Profisee.
- Designed data load specifications based on requirements.
- Extracted Snowflake source data for Profisee loads.
- Attained strong customer feedback for team leadership and problem-solving.
Azure Data Warehouse Architect
American Associated Pharmacies
- Designed and developed Azure data warehouse using Azure SQL, Azure Data Factory, and Power BI to product sales and profitability analysis and customer-facing reports embedded on the RXAAP website.
- Created relational data models using IDERA ER/Studio; deployed data models to physical Azure SQL databases.
- Developed ETL to load the data warehouse tables using Azure Data Factory.
- Created sales and rebate reports embedded in the RXAAP website using Power BI.
Cloud Data Engineer (Contract)
McKnight Consulting Group
- Performed Cloud Big Data benchmark tests to compare the performance of five big data tools.
- Loaded industry-standard TPC-H test data of 30TB into five different database platforms.
- Tuned database storage and indexing features to optimize storage and performance.
- Executed a suite of standard SQL queries and tuned the performance of those queries.
AWS Cloud Architect (Contract)
- Compared Atlas and MongoDB versus DocumentDB versus DynamoDB to recommend the best-performing solution for a real-time data streaming solution. Identified limitations and advantages of each tool.
- Conducted the AWS Well-Architected review, recommending reliability and performance upgrades to the cloud environment.
- Created a new AWS data-streaming architecture to combine batch and real-time data updates, transaction logging, and JSON document handling.
- Evaluated and optimized a real-time data streaming application in AWS by introducing GraphQL and DocumentDB.
Azure Data Architect (Contract)
BioTE Medical (through a development agency)
- Created data models and cloud architecture models to dramatically restructured the enterprise databases for conversion to Azure cloud microservices. Transformed monolithic MDM into domain-based data stores.
- Selected a data vault data design pattern. Implemented a GraphQL middleware for data virtualization.
- Led the C++ .NET Core team to minimize production support impact upon project delivery.
- Created Power BI dashboards and an OLAP data design, supporting sales and project performance.
Software Release Manager
TAMKO Building Products
- Resolved developer issues with embedded modules.
- Defined the software distribution process.
- Monitored software distribution schedules and successful upgrades for each customer.
Data Science Team Leader (Freelance)
TAMKO Building Products
- Created the vision and strategy for a manufacturing data warehouse using relational star-schema storage, ETL, and Power BI dashboards.
- Created Power BI interactive analytics dashboards with a Java front end to identify $millions cost savings and control the manufacturing process. Designed an OLAP data structure for reporting.
- Proposed the data governance program including the IT, business, and PMO roles.
- Supervised 12 developers and DBAs to enable self-service analytics through team leadership, data strategy, and an execution roadmap.
Global Center for Innovative Analytics Director
- Prepared business cases and prepped data for the data science team. Delivered dozens of predictive analytics solutions for the manufacturing, mining, automotive, and transportation industries.
- Defined the predictive maintenance solution offering, including solution architecture, software, and services components. Performed POCs and client engagements to implement the solutions.
- Delivered large-scale global cloud migrations to AWS and Azure for financial services, pharmaceutical, and manufacturing companies including Hadoop, Redshift, DevOps, Impala, and Power BI.
- Defined the big data product offering, including Hadoop hardware specifications, IoT machine data collection, and analysis.
Principal Data Architect
- Led Kaiser Permanente HEDIS reporting to a 4th place national recognition for clinical quality.
- Defined business requirements to meet the reporting/analysis needs of the physicians, claims, medical quality, and finance departments.
- Delivered database design and ETL data load processes.
Senior Software Engineer
- Designed and delivered custom Fortran solutions on DEC PDP minicomputers to collect real-time flight instrumentation data.
- Designed and delivered custom Fortran solutions on DEC PDP minicomputers to create real-time test flight reports and to provide real-time controls for data collection storage devices.
- Designed and delivered custom Fortran solutions on DEC PDP minicomputers to control the execution of CNC inspection equipment.
Implementation of Cloudera on AWS Platform for a Leading Semiconductor Manufacturing Company
The technology stack included AWS, Cloudera Hadoop, Hue, Impala, Hive, Sqoop, Superset, StreamSets, Tableau, Neo4J, SQL Server, and Oracle.
SalesForce.com Data Extraction for an Internet Banking Company
The technology stack included Redshift and Marketing Cloud.
Asset Optimization Solution
The technology stack included Domo, Ammo, Pentaho, and Oracle Enterprise Asset Management (EAM).
Operations Data Warehouse for a Fortune 100 Technology Services Company
The technology stack included Erwin, Oracle, Informatica, Microsoft SQL Server, and SAP.
Microservices Enterprise Architecture for a Pharmaceutical Services Company
The technology stack included Microsoft Power BI, Microsoft Azure SQL Database, Event Hubs, Logic Apps, Application Insights, and Angular.
Analytics Strategy and Data Warehouse for a Leading Media and Entertainment Company
The technology stack included OpenJDK, PostgreSQL, RabbitMQ, and Pentaho Data Integration (PDI).
Enterprise Data Strategy for a Building Products Manufacturing Company
The technology stack included Microsoft SQL Server and SAP HANA environments, Power BI, and SAP Analytics Cloud.
T-SQL (Transact-SQL), SQL, Fortran, Snowflake, Python, R, GraphQL, Python 2, XML
Microsoft Power BI, Informatica ETL, Erwin, Impala, Azure Logic Apps, Microsoft Excel, Excel 2016, Lucidchart, STATA, Pentaho Data Integration (Kettle), Azure Application Insights, Auth0, Actian, BigQuery, Synapse, Tableau, Cloudera, RabbitMQ, Matillion ETL for Redshift, GitHub, Git
Database Design, Data Science, ETL, Business Intelligence (BI), Dimensional Modeling, OLAP, Agile Project Management, Application Architecture, Event-driven Architecture, DevOps
Amazon Web Services (AWS), Azure, Databricks, Azure Event Hubs, Azure Functions, Cerner, Oracle, SAP HANA, Apache Kafka, Amazon EC2, Salesforce, Pentaho, AWS Lambda
Microsoft SQL Server, SQL Server Management Studio, PostgreSQL, Azure SQL, Databases, Relational Databases, Data Pipelines, Data Lakes, Database Architecture, Oracle PL/SQL, Database Structure, Dynamic SQL, SQL Architecture, Redshift, PL/SQL, Apache Hive, HDFS, Amazon S3 (AWS S3), Master Data Management (MDM), Database Transactions, OLTP, DB, Redis, Azure Cosmos DB, MongoDB, Amazon DynamoDB, Netezza, Column-oriented DBMS, Azure SQL Databases, MySQL, ER/Studio Data Architecture, JSON, Teradata, Azure Blobs, Azure Queue, SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS), SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS)
Data Modeling, Data Management, Solution Architecture, IT Consulting, IT Project Management, Consulting, Data Warehouse Design, Leadership, Technical Design, Architecture, Troubleshooting, Data Architecture, Big Data Architecture, Data Analysis, Data Queries, Big Data, Data, Data Engineering, Data Marts, Relational Database Design, Cloud Architecture, Healthcare Effectiveness Data and Information Set (HEDIS), Data Warehousing, Data Loading, Database Schema Design, Reporting, Integration, Data Analytics, Cloud, Data Structures, Logical Database Design, Information Gathering, Data Transformation, Data Cleansing, Delivery Management, Engineering, PL/SQL Tuning, Azure SQL Data Warehouse (SQL DW), Cloud Infrastructure, Data Migration, ETL Tools, Business Requirements, Informatica, System Integration, AWS Cloud Architecture, Software Design, Analytics, Software Development, Predictive Analytics, Performance Management, Manufacturing, Healthcare Services, Agile Data Science, Financial Services, Consumer Packaged Goods (CPG), Software, Business Process Analysis, Algorithms, Hue, Dashboards, Data Visualization, Healthcare Management Systems, Azure Synapse, Technical Leadership, Distributed Systems, MDM, Master Data, IT Strategy, Cloud Storage, File Systems, Data Profiling, Technical Consulting, Feasibility, Management Systems, Transportation & Logistics, Software Development Management, People Management, Team Management, eCommerce, Engineering Management, Program Management, Amazon RDS, Transactions, Azure Data Lake, Azure Databricks, Statistics, Performance Tuning, DAX, Unstructured Data Analysis, Insurance Technology (Insurtech), Data Vaults, Machine Learning, DocumentDB, Due Diligence, Software Architecture, IT Operations, IT Infrastructure, Organization, Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC), Technical Reports, Executive Presentations, Atlas, Documentation, Oracle R, Government, Data Governance, Data Center Management, Hardware, Claims, Parquet, Benefit Administration, Strategy, Internet of Things (IoT), Azure Data Factory, Computer Science, Marketing Cloud, SAP, Team Leadership, Azure Analysis Services, Profisee MDM, SQL Server 2015, Embedded Power BI, Browsers, Key Performance Indicators (KPIs), Statistical Modeling, Dashboard Development, Unix Shell Scripting, CI/CD Pipelines, Message Queues, Genomics, Biometrics, Delta Lake
Hadoop, .NET Core
Bioinformatics, Insurance, Banking & Finance, Automotive, Healthcare, Security
Coursework in Quantitative Methods in Clinical and Public Health Research
Harvard University - Cambridge, MA, United States
Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Science
Louisiana Tech University - Ruston, LA, United States
Databricks Accredited Lakehouse Fundamentals
Data Science Essentials
Quantitative Methods in Clinical and Public Health Research
Harvard Medical School and Harvard School of Public Health
Certified Cloud Security Knowledge (CCSK)
Cloud Security Alliance
Certified Computing Professional
Institute for Certification of Computing Professionals