Freelance Software Engineer2016 - 2020Be-Mobile
Technologies: Back-end, Git, Visual Studio, System Testing, REST APIs, Jenkins, Helm, Prometheus, Kubernetes, Docker, Google Test, YAML, gRPC, FlatBuffers, MySQL, Machine Learning, Jupyter, Real-time Data, Test Automation, Leadership, Grafana, Redis, Apache Kafka, Windows, Linux, Algorithms, Go, C++14, C++11
- Developed the core real‐time routing platform (road traffic management, tolling) in C++11/14 and Go.
- Ported existing C++ applications from Windows to Linux. Integrated Apache Kafka and Redis.
- Introduced unit testing and automated system tests.
- Ported C++ application to Go and implemented new applications in Go.
- Designed, tested, and implemented algorithmic improvements on traffic jam detection.
- Played a crucial role during the rollout of the real-time system for truck tolling in Belgium and Germany.
- Deployed components using YAML, Docker, Kubernetes, and Helm (SaaS).
- Acted as the technical team lead floating car data chain (core chain that processes real‐time GPS data) in 2019-2020.
Freelance Software Engineer2014 - 2016Siemens
Technologies: Git, System Testing, Safety-critical, Real-time Systems, Test Automation, Python, C
- Developed software in C and Python as a member of the team developing the EBP system: a real‐time computer system that is being used to control and manage the Belgian railway signaling infrastructure from a central place.
- Designed, tested, and implemented two drivers that handled the reception of signalizations and transmission of commands to the railway interlocking system. Assisted Infrabel on site during the first three installations (by night).
- Played a key role in the design and implementation of the automation of tests for the legacy software. Emulate the signalization hardware in the field, enabling e.g. to make the real-time system detect a (simulated) driving train.
- Studied and implemented new safety‐critical functional specifications from Infrabel and provided valid improvements.
Freelance Software Developer2014 - 2014Amplidata
Technologies: Git, REST APIs, HTTP, IP Networks, Python, Boost, Boost.Asio, Multithreading, Asynchronous Programming, Google Test, C++11
- Served as a member of the team that implemented Amplidata’s cloud storage system’s internet‐facing interfaces, including the Amazon S3 API. Key person in delivering the required features on time, well‐tested and according to the specs.
- Implemented parts of the HTTP 1.1 and Amazon S3 specification (REST API) with a strong focus on details.
- Developed multi‐threaded, asynchronous, thread‐safe design in C++11, using Boost libraries such as asio, ptime, shared_from_this, RegEx, and interprocess.
- Wrote a custom system test framework in Python. Unit testing using Google Test (gtest).
Freelance Device Software Engineer2013 - 2013Newtec
Technologies: Subversion (SVN), Linux, Routing, Iptables, Networking, Linux Kernel, C++11
- Acted as a member of the professional equipment department, developing professional satellite communication ground equipment using Linux‐based embedded platforms (PowerPC and Intel). Development in C++11 and test automation based on Ruby.
- Designed (in collaboration) and implemented a networking mechanism that creates a virtual LAN network allowing Newtec devices to communicate with each other locally and over the satellite link with minimal administration set up.
- Debugged networking issues in kernel space. Experienced with zero‐copy mechanisms between userland and kernel (based on ring buffers) such as pf_ring, af_packet mmap, and custom solutions.
Freelance Software Engineer2010 - 2012Technicolor
Technologies: ClearCase, Linux, Multithreading, Security, Unit Testing, Middleware, Networking, DDS, C
- Participated in an international team to develop the next generation core middleware software framework to be deployed in the digital home network. Developed the communication bus between components installed on the middleware.
- Integrated, tested, and submitted bug reports for third‐party software.
- Provided outside access to the communication bus by using JSON bindings on top of WebSockets.
- Handled technical subjects including DDS (Data Distribution Service), marshaling/serialization, access control, security, distributed networking, automatic code generation, automatic test framework, and thread‐safe library design.
Senior Development Engineer2005 - 2010Televic
Technologies: Blackfin Microprocessors, Windows, VHDL, Audio Processing, DSP, Assembly, C++, MATLAB, C, Microcontrollers
- Designed and implemented signal processing algorithms on PC and embedded platforms (dsp (Analog Devices Sharc), microcontroller (Analog Devices Blackfin), and fpga (Xilinx) ).
- Created adaptive feedback cancellation algorithms, the Bluetooth subband codec, infrared APCm codec, packet loss concealment, speeding up/down of speech while preserving pitch, and microphone array steering.
- Covered the complete design and implementation process of industrial grade software: from experimentation on pc (e.g. in Matlab) to real‐time implementation in C/C++ (including assembly optimization) or VHDL.
- Coordinated and participated in several research projects in cooperation with academic and industrial partners. Experienced as a project lead to a successfully finished multimillion research project.
Ph.D. Student2001 - 2005University of Ghent
Technologies: Java, C
- Taught exercises for various courses (software design and mathematics) to university students.
- Conducted research in order to obtain a Ph.D. in Mathematics, in the field of probability and game theory. My public defense took place on June 3rd, 2005.
- Authored multiple articles in international journals and gave lectures at international gatherings.
Software Engineer2001 - 2001Alcatel Bell
Technologies: Tcl/Tk, C++, C
- Implemented a layer between the network processor and the higher‐level software for an IP core router.
- Detected and corrected numerous bugs in the existing software.
- Wrote dozens of automated test scripts, using Tcl.