Verified Expert in Engineering
Brendon has 20 years of experience designing and delivering software from fintech back ends to enterprise telecom solutions. He believes in relentless refactoring and running code. He is an Erlang, Elixir, and Python expert and has worked with dozens of other languages and technologies.
Git, Linux, Emacs
The most amazing...
...project I've worked on is an EU-funded open source classroom management platform, now used every day by hundreds of thousands of Greek schoolchildren.
- Acted as a first technical hire at a startup doing remittance between compliance-heavy Asian countries. Designed the back end, hired the engineering team, and managed it for six years. I never lost a transaction.
- Presented to investors, regulators, banks, and other fintech, including Tencent and Alipay.
- Worked extensively on workflow, accounting, FX, and reporting functions. Integrated with dozens of external services. Helped stakeholders across the company figure out what they needed to work together.
- Drove portal architecture and development for a major IPTV solution.
- Designed and developed custom re-implementations of middleware nodes including a million-connection notification server.
- Built tools and customizations to enable seamless, atomic upgrades.
- Managed and mentored multiple development teams working for Ericsson, various customers, or third-party contracting shops.
- Introduced improved software practices, including TDD and branch-based development.
- Built Taiwan's largest penny auction website in Erlang and PHP, running complex business logic for tens of thousands of users in realtime. Maintained zero auction logic bugs from launch through three years of production.
- Implemented a chat server for a social networking startup in Erlang. Supported multiple client protocols and highly dynamic group chats.
- Built a realtime video keying server for a Korean TV channel in Erlang and C++.
- Designed an HIPAA-compliant mobile health application for the developing world.
- Implemented in-house tools including web frameworks, database schema management libraries, and OpenID servers.
- Designed and built a next-generation CMS platform for a major US medical institute.
- Built complex workflows for medical news publishing.
- Administered servers and databases.
- Wrote "pyth", a document conversion library in Python with excellent RTF support that is now widely used.
- Contributed to various open source projects based on the Twisted stack.
- Built a custom POS server and client for stores in Taiwan.
- Integrated logistics, inventory management, back-office, and sales.
- Performed on-site installation, training, and support.
Hess Educational Institution
- Designed and built online testing software used by all Hess schools.
- Ran the Hess online bookstore, including catalogue management.
- Improved teacher scheduling tools.
- Built a talking robot.
Internet Business Solutions
- Built an eCommerce website platform allowing businesses to quickly create an online presence.
- Implemented reusable site components including product catalogues and discussion forums.
- Gave pitches and demos to partner companies and customers.
Imperial College, London
- Built a website to connect students with potential project mentors.
Erlang OpenID 2.0https://github.com/brendonh/erl_openid
Erlang Second Life Clienthttps://github.com/brendonh/slerl
Loge -- Go Object Databasehttps://github.com/brendonh/loge
REST APIs, API Development, React, Amazon EC2 API
REST, Agile Software Development, Microservices
Database Architecture, PostgreSQL, MySQL, Redis, Elasticsearch, Riak
Architecture, APIs, Solution Architecture, System Architecture, API Integration, Technical Leadership, Software Architecture, CTO, Responsive UI, Frameworks, Web Security, Online Payments, Business to Consumer (B2C)
Django, Flask, Phoenix, Spring Boot
Amazon Web Services (AWS), Linux, Blockchain
Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Science
University of Warwick - England