Python Developer in Taipei, Taiwan
Software Architect2012 - 2014Ericsson Taiwan
- Drove portal architecture and development for a major IPTV solution.
- Designed and developed custom re-implementations of middleware nodes including a million-connection notification server.
- Built tools and customizations to enable seamless, atomic upgrades.
- Managed and mentored multiple development teams working for Ericsson, various customers, or third-party contracting shops.
- Introduced improved software practices, including TDD and branch-based development.
Lead Developer2008 - 2012Cogini
Technologies: Python, Erlang, Ruby, Java, C++
- Built Taiwan's largest penny auction website in Erlang and PHP, running complex business logic for tens of thousands of users in realtime. Maintained zero auction logic bugs from launch through three years of production.
- Implemented a chat server for a social networking startup in Erlang. Supported multiple client protocols and highly dynamic group chats.
- Built a realtime video keying server for a Korean TV channel in Erlang and C++.
- Designed an HIPAA-compliant mobile health application for the developing world.
- Implemented in-house tools including web frameworks, database schema management libraries, and OpenID servers.
Senior Developer2005 - 2012HFD, LLC
- Designed and built a next-generation CMS platform for a major US medical institute.
- Built complex workflows for medical news publishing.
- Administered servers and databases.
- Wrote "pyth", a document conversion library in Python with excellent RTF support that is now widely used.
- Contributed to various open source projects based on the Twisted stack.
Contract Developer2006 - 2007Rimowa Taiwan
- Built a custom POS server and client for stores in Taiwan.
- Integrated logistics, inventory management, back-office, and sales.
- Performed on-site installation, training, and support.
Systems Programmer2004 - 2006Hess Educational Institution
Technologies: Python, Perl, Java
- Designed and built online testing software used by all Hess schools.
- Ran the Hess online bookstore, including catalogue management.
- Improved teacher scheduling tools.
- Built a talking robot.
Lead Developer1999 - 2001Internet Business Solutions
- Built an eCommerce website platform allowing businesses to quickly create an online presence.
- Implemented reusable site components including product catalogues and discussion forums.
- Gave pitches and demos to partner companies and customers.
Programmer1998 - 1998Imperial College, London
- Built a website to connect students with potential project mentors.
- Pyth (Development)https://github.com/brendonh/pyth
A tool for Python document processing with great RTF reading support that is widely used.
- Schemup (Development)https://github.com/brendonh/schemup
A database and ORM agnostic schema management tool designed for distributed teams with high contention on changes. It maintains security and facilitates recovery.
- Erlang OpenID 2.0 (Development)https://github.com/brendonh/erl_openid
The first, and possibly only, implementation of OpenID 2 in Erlang, now used in web services, desktop applications, and at least one MMO.
- Erlang Second Life Client (Development)https://github.com/brendonh/slerl
A robust Erlang implementation of the Second Life network protocol.
- Loge -- Go Object Database (Development)https://github.com/brendonh/loge
A fully ACID object database in Go supporting MVCC, tight integration with Go structs, secondary indexes, and a network client protocol.
- Go Programming Language: An Introductory Golang Tutorial (Publication)Go is a relatively new language with a number of attractive features. It's great for writing concurrent programs, thanks to an excellent set of low-level features for handling concurrency. In many cases, though, a handful of reusable abstractions over those low-level mechanisms makes life much easier. This introductory tutorial walks you through building one such abstraction: a wrapper that can turn any data structure into a transactional service in Go.
StoragePostgreSQL, MySQL, Redis, Elasticsearch, Riak
- Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science2000 - 2003University of Warwick - England