Data Warehousing Developer
With almost 20 years working as an engineer, architect, director, vice president, and CTO, Bryce brings a deep understanding of enterprise software, management, and technical strategy to any project. His specialties include Amazon Web Services, real-time systems, business intelligence, big data, enterprise web apps, scalability, education, and open-source software.
Git, Visual Studio Code (VS Code), Docker, Linux, MacOS, Go, Microservices, Back-end, Distributed Systems
The most amazing...
...thing I've built leveraged enterprise technology to automate business functions in real time and for a fraction of their original cost.
- Architected, implemented, maintained, and managed new development and scalability for a SaaS-based e-learning assessment platform that helps improve student outcomes in university courses through personalized analytics, metacognitive training, and targeted study. The web-services based platform runs in the cloud on AWS and has served tens of thousands of students taking hundreds of thousands of assessments.
- Leveraged expertise in scaling cloud-based systems to service users across dozens of universities, providing reliable, performant, always-available services and support.
- Managed engineering and operations for a team of developers, content creators, devops, and technical salespeople.
Strategic Technology Consultant
- Architected, managed, and implemented scalable, global, enterprise-level software solutions for clients such as Estée Lauder, Disney Research, Apple, DHL, FedEx, Kaiser Permanente, and UPS.
- Worked on business and technology strategy, software development, systems architecture, database administration, and information technology consulting services as lead architect, director of engineering, and interim CTO.
- Used server virtualization and cloud computing technologies including Amazon Web Services (AWS), Docker, KVM, Xen, VMWare, Eucalyptus, and Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud.
- Managed development resources, project expectations, requirements, scope, and timelines.
- Developed and validated industry, market, customer, and business models.
- Built and deployed customized Docker-based container architectures to handle fluctuating performance loads in microservice architectures that can auto-scale based on usage demands.
- Provided expertise in and implementation of data warehousing for scalable reporting structures to handle ETL, storage management, and ad hoc or customized reporting for clients with multiple terabytes of data.
- Contributed expertise in dimensional modeling and columnstore database engines.
Resident Venture Developer
Technology and Venture Commercialization Office, University of Utah
- Worked as external partner, providing business model and market validation, technology consulting, project management, scoping, and development expertise for promising technology projects coming through the University Tech Commercialization Office.
- Worked on management of marketing, project selection, and implementation for Software Development Center (SDC).
- Implemented a Lean startup model, a business model canvas, web applications, mobile apps, big data, analytics, and educational software.
- Delivered technical scoping and feasibility studies, including budgeting details for large scale software and technology projects.
- Designed and built enterprise-level business intelligence software for small and private healthcare practices, providing a competitive edge through big data-driven business and operational insights.
- Performed generation of localized benchmarking, healthcare analytics, and key insights through analysis of core KPIs.
- Created scalable automated data extraction, analysis, report generation, and distribution at an enterprise scale.
- Delivered a SaaS-based customer portal for real-time data analysis and benchmark comparison.
VP of Development/CTO
- Architected and developed a human-curated marketplace for social media ranking signals exchange.
- Involved in the active development and held an architectural role in scaling the complex web application.
- Performed intimate integration with multiple social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Tumblr, etc.).
- Managed both in-house and outsourced development resources.
- Generated scalable online marketing and lead-generation technologies.
Director of Engineering
- Held an active development role, creating complex web-based software utilizing LAMP, Ajax, and Flex technologies.
- Developed and managed IT resources, including ensuring PCI compliance and the architecture of a distributed, multi-site, co-located infrastructure.
- Performed integration with both global and localized shipping carriers, including rate retrieval, shipment creation, tracking, pickup, and label generation.
- Managed internal and outsourced development resources utilizing Agile, Scrum, and Kanban.
Senior Lead Developer
- Architected and created software to facilitate print fulfillment by integrating eCommerce web applications with third-party technologies to automate and streamline print and fulfillment of digital, offset, apparel, and promotional items.
- Architected and configured core components of the application stack, including database structure, hardware, OS, web server software, caching resources, networked file storage, Xen virtualizations, etc.
- Designed architecture and developed API resources for access to orders, customers, shipping, products, etc. via SOAP and AMF.
- Integrated an eCommerce platform with various third-party APIs including shipping, financial processing, tax data, inventory, and print fulfillment.
- Handled security-related initiatives, including PCI compliance, server hardening, secure development practices, and penetration testing.
- Communicated with internal and external customers and management, to define project scope, requirements, definition, and timelines.
Senior Software Engineer
- Executed integration with 3rd-party web service APIs, including payment, ACH, suppliers, etc.
- Designed and developed API interface for customizable access to company data for internal and external customers.
- Performed Linux server configuration and administration including Apache, MySQL, PHP, Samba, Cron, Xen and VMWare virtualizations, etc.
- Developed software for management of company wide code deployment to testing and production environments.
- Spearheaded security and penetration testing initiatives.
Software Engineer/IT Admin
- Performed enterprise-level Java J2EE client/server application development, using XML, Swing, Weblogic, and various database technologies.
- Implemented transactions in enterprise-level application.
- Used JKS certificates in Java applications.
- Wrote SILK and JUnit tests to validate code.
- Managed Windows and Linux network infrastructures and other IT-related tasks including DNS, firewall, CVS, etc.
IT Manager/Lead Developer
DIPPR801 Thermodynamic Laboratory
- Designed and managed the relational database.
- Developed software (Visual Basic) to use with a relational database.
- Performed project management of software application development.
- Handled website security, design, and maintenance as well as network, web, and server security.
- Set up and maintained the web server/site and file server/domain controllers.
Estée Lauder – The Beauty of Night
Built using an SOA model on the LAMP stack utilizing SlimPHP, AngularJS, Unity, and jQuery, the premise of the application was to allow global users to submit a comment or image and then be randomly connected with another user on the other side of the world.
Those connections were then beautifully displayed on a night-time globe for browsers supporting Unity, or a customized night-time implementation of Google Maps, allowing the user to zoom in and out and view content submitted by other users, with logic to filter and consolidate connections depending on the zoom level.
The application also required an administrative console for live content curation, and full locale and language support for 40+ languages to cover all markets where the product was being released. Users would see content submitted by other users translated into their own language (accomplished via Google Translate).
Upon deployment, this application was used by thousands of customers in dozens of countries across the globe.
Kaiser Permanente – Enterprise Data Warehouse
With over 10 million new records being created each week, it was necessary to build a system that could handle processing of ETL, data storage, scalability, and performance for large amounts of data. This was accomplished utilizing dimensional modeling, Docker EE, distributed ETL, and MariaDB Columnstore.
Overall project ROI (including the enterprise data warehouse) was valued at upwards of $100 million.
Calm.com – Role-based Access Control Auth Using Okta IDP
The technology stack for this project included Node.js with Express.js and Next.js, React, Mocha, PostgreSQL, Okta IDP, Circle CI, Jenkins, Docker, and AWS.
Madra Learning – Educational Platformhttps://www.madralearning.com/
Built under an SOA model, it provides secure assessments (homework, quizzes, exams, etc), metacognitive exercises, and personalized analytics to students and professors in university courses.
My role on this project has been that of a CTO, providing principle architecture, development management, strategic planning, and budgeting expertise. I have also worked directly with customers in both a sales and technical integration role.
The technology stack is cloud based (AWS) and consists of an SOA model with an API backbone built in LAMP. There are also some big data and AWS specific components on the back end (Lambda, Kinesis, S3, etc,) which drove part of the application. Front-end technologies include Bootstrap, jQuery, and Less.
Mass Spectrometry QC Software
The project was built as a SaaS-based software solution and included tools for analyzing test results, logging instrument maintenance, tracking incidents, and viewing quality control trends within labs.
Sentius Technologies – Business Intelligence Platform
The technology built for this project involved integrations with third-party data sources including claims processors, practice management software, and client accounting software. Once data is extracted, it is then consolidated in a data warehouse where a combination of automated and human curated analysis extracts meaningful business insights that are packaged up and delivered to end customers via a monthly report. Customers also have access to a real-time dashboard where KPIs can be monitored and tracked over time. Localized industry benchmarks across the entire dataset are also visible to customers.
The system was built using a service-oriented architecture utilizing an enterprise technology stack that is designed to scale as needed. It consists of several web services accessible via RESTful APIs to input data via a central log service, interact with the data warehouse, and provide visualizations in a SaaS-based web application.
PrinterLogic – Integrated Data Warehouse
One aspect of their product however, that was in need of an overhaul, was reporting of print data for larger customers. The previous solution was attempting to run queries against the OLTP database, and became non-performant when dealing with medium to large data sets.
This project therefore, involved implementing a dimensional modeling based data warehouse, including the back-end database structure, ETL process, and ad-hoc reporting mechanism into the current product to provide scalable and customizable reporting to customers.
PrinterLogic – Docker-based Microservices Implementations
Microservices that were implemented include user management and authentication (including support for LDAP, Active Directory, OAuth, CAC PIV, and PKI-based authentication), third-party IDP (Okta, Azure AD, etc), data warehousing, API gateway, consistent UX components, an asynchronous event bus, OAuth token management, and quota management.
University of Utah – UTTS Exam Software
The system allows for the administration and proctoring of timed exams, either remotely or within a testing center. Features include multiple question types, retries for partial credit, full control over user access and course registration, and consolidated analysis of exam results. The software employs a novel concept called item response theory in addition to the usual analysis of exam data, enabling the system to quantify both the aptitude of the test taker and the quality and difficulty of the question itself, allowing for automated rating of questions in the question bank for difficulty-based selection and offering the instructor and other admins details on which concepts lack adequate understanding among students.
The software is currently being used by thousands of students at three universities and a handful of high schools.
Tech: LAMP stack with SlimPHP, Twitter Bootstrap, and jQuery.
GoSafely – Unified Web Security
I was the lead technologist and systems architect on this project, which included managing development among other engineers across all OS platforms, architecting and building the back-end systems, and implementing the marketing and dashboard website.
The system consisted of a back-end API written in Node.js and MongoDB and a cloud-based proxy system that would allow for live filtering of web traffic and real-time password management. This included custom cloud network configurations to properly filter, route, and manage traffic, as well as a custom built proxy to allow for analysis, live filtering, and injection of modifications to web requests in real time, including those made over HTTPS.
Praedo Institute – Learning Management Systemhttps://praedo.com/
This project therefore involved rebuilding their course delivery and management system from the ground up on newer technologies while ensuring that existing content could be imported into the new architecture.
Components of this new LMS system included eCommerce for registration and payment processing, media integration for video, audio, and slide-based content, conversion of existing courses from PowerPoint to web-deliverable SVGs, and custom PDF manipulation.
In addition, in order to meet regulatory requirements, the software was required to administer mandatory quizzes and exams to users throughout the course and mandate a certain level of performance in order to receive a final certification. The technology stack for this project includes LAMP, jQuery, Bootstrap, and CakePHP, and is currently being used by thousands of Praedo customers.
ZenPrint – Web-to-Print Platform
InDesign files can be generated and imported, placed in customizable fields on the product, and added to the client's storefront for purchase. From there, they are rendered in real time, accounting for text length, font size, etc., in order to show the user exactly what the printed product will look like.
In addition to automating front-end logic for product customization, the project also involved building back-end workflows and processes for efficiently batching and fulfilling orders. Integrated with dozens of printers and external fulfillment sources, the platform even allows for clients to continue warehousing and fulfilling their existing products.
Tech: Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP using Zend Framework and Magento, proprietary third-party software from Xerox for accurate rendering of customizations, and third-party process flow and warehousing software.
Dizzle – Social Ranking Signal Marketplace
Tightly integrated with various social networks including Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Tumblr, etc., Dizzle users could share and promote content to their social network accounts with a single click. Built originally on the LAMP stack using Kohana framework and jQuery, as the dataset and user base grew, it was necessary to migrate some of the functionality to more scalable technologies such as Node.js, MongoDB, and Twiiter FlockDB (social graph) while maintaining a functioning site.
At its peak, dizzle.com had thousands of users conducting tens of thousands of actions on the site each day.
Linkdip – Lead Generation Platform
This project, therefore, involved the development of a scalable, enterprise-level implementation to take client content and automate the creation of customized classified ads on the world's largest classifieds site. Content could either be entered manually via an admin interface, or pulled automatically from various content feeds.
The technology stack was quite extensive and included Node.js, CasperJS, Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP, Twitter Bootstrap, jQuery, and integration with third-party call center software, as well as some extensive data center customizations to accommodate the requirements that content be posted from IP addresses local to the target region. In addition, big data analytics were applied to help tune content for optimized response rates.
This software has been utilized to automatically and efficiently post thousands of ads and generate leads in the real estate, jobs, and professional services industries.
Apple, Inc. – Project Management Dashboard
The technology stack for this project included Java J2EE, with EJBs for the AtTask integrations, and Apache Tomcat with JSPs for the custom dashboard.
Costa Vida – Marketing Website with Online Ordering
This project involved working closely with Costa Vida corporate in order to develop an engaging and dynamic website where customers and fans could come to locate a restaurant, learn more about the menu, participate in the rewards program, and place a take-out order online.
The technology stack for this project was Linux, Apache, MySQL, and PHP, with the Zend Framework, and Magento being utilized for the eCommerce portions of the website. To date, tens of thousands of Costa Vida customers and fans have visited the corporate website.
RSIS – Accounting Software for Shipping Resellershttp://www.rocksolidinternet.com
The technology stack for this project included Adobe Flex with AMF, Linux, Apache, MySQL, and PHP with the Yii and the Zend Frameworks, and integrations with numerous carrier web services. Currently this application is being used by thousands of customers around the world.
DHL Express – International Shipping Integrations
The mechanics involved creating wrappers around localized carrier APIs and digital services so that they could by accessed via the conventional DHL Express APIs, and included work for retrieving rates, tracking parcels, submitting shipments, and generating shipping labels. A series of SOAP and RESTful web services were created using the LAMP stack to bring this project to fruition.
Currently, this software is utilized by thousands of DHL Express customers to ship internationally.
gRPC, Google Protocol Buffer, Zend Framework, AngularJS, Prototype Framework, Slim, Laravel, Bootstrap, Flex, Yii, CakePHP, Smarty, Kohana, Angular, Silex, Express.js, Next.js, OAuth 2, Web Frameworks, .NET, Swing, ASP, Ember.js
React, Facebook API, jQuery, Google API, Google+ API, Google Maps, Authorize.net, DHL API, FedEx API, UPS API, Stripe, Node.js, Script.aculo.us, Google Chart API, Twitter API, AMF, API Development, React-JSS, TensorFlow, Chai, Amazon API, REST APIs, Backbone.js
Amazon Virtual Private Cloud (VPC), NPM, Amazon Elastic Container Service (Amazon ECS), Eclipse IDE, Git, GitHub, Apache, Chrome Developer Tools, Xdebug, Zend Debugger, MySQL Workbench, AWS SDK, Amazon Simple Email Service (SES), CasperJS, Subversion (SVN), CVS, Zend Studio, Composer, Docker Hub, Docker Compose, MariaDB ColumnStore, Mocha, NGINX, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Photoshop, Apache Tomcat, Jenkins, XMPie
REST, Model View Controller (MVC), Agile Software Development, Business Intelligence (BI), Mobile Development, Unit Testing, Continuous Integration (CI), Microservices, Microservices Architecture, Kimball Methodology, DevOps, Requirements Analysis, Service-oriented Architecture (SOA), RESTful Development
Amazon EC2, Windows, Magento, Amazon, WordPress, Linux, Unix, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Docker, LAMP, AWS Lambda, JEE, Oracle, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Xen, KVM, MacOS, Visual Studio Code (VS Code), iOS, Android
Amazon DynamoDB, Amazon S3 (AWS S3), Memcached, MyISAM, NoSQL, MySQL, JSON, InnoDB, InfiniDB, FlatFile, PostgreSQL, MariaDB, Column-oriented DBMS, Microsoft SQL Server, MongoDB, Redis, Redshift, Redis Cache
Protocol Buffers, Private NPM Modules, Ajax, Network Programming, Networks, SOAP, Adobe Flash Builder, APIs, Big Data Architecture, Cloud Computing, Mobile App Development, Google, Artificial Intelligence (AI), Architecture, User Interface (UI), Cloud, System Security Developer, Integration Testing, Data Warehousing, Software Architecture, Big Data, Cloud Engineering, Big Data Architect, API Development Specialist, Async.js, Okta, Async/Await, ES6 Promises, OAuth, OpenID Connect (OIDC), EventBus, Star Schema, Data Warehouse Design, Full-stack, Web Development, System Architecture, Leadership, Back-end, Distributed Systems, Data Visualization, Networking, Load Balancers, SaaS, Business Model Canvas, Lean Startups, Mobile Apps, Web Applications, WebLogic, Open Access
Master's of Business Administration (MBA) Degree in Business Management
Utah Valley University - Orem, UT
Master's of Science (MS) Degree in Technology, IT emphasis
Brigham Young University - Provo, UT
Bachelor's of Science (BS) Degree in Electronics and Information Technology
Brigham Young University - Provo, UT