Verified Expert in Engineering
Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC) Developer
Chris has been in the software engineering industry for over ten years. He started as a QA and transitioned into web engineering. He specializes in front-end development with React, TypeScript, and Next.js. He has deployed new apps, created new processes and CI/CD pipelines, mentored junior developers, expanded on machine learning projects using TensorFlow to train models, and restructured automation test suites. Chris loves solving problems with code.
React, TypeScript, Next.js
The most amazing...
...project I've taken on was rewriting an internal, back-end app at WillowTree in TypeScript from Vanilla JS with Babel.
Staff Software Engineer
- Joined a new team and quickly noticed that the team was writing E2E tests that should have been unit tests. Helped restructure the automation test suite to rely more on unit testing rather than the more fragile and flaky E2E tests.
- Developed several patterns and/or helper functions for the development team at large to use to make their lives quicker and easier.
- Debugged several production issues, one of which was blocking a big push. Solved this particular bug in time for a big push.
- Ensured best practices were being followed throughout the app at large.
- Managed the CI/CD pipeline for the website for a large timeshare company.
- Assisted in creating new processes for a large timeshare company that allowed their customers to sign up for vacations and stays that were only possible over the phone previously.
- Mentored younger developers. Helped take one from being put onto a performance plan to getting them back on track. Taught another component-based frameworks as they only had previous experience with jQuery.
- Expanded on a number of machine learning professional development projects using TensorFlow to train various models.
- Spun up and deployed several web apps from scratch for professional development projects, including one that implemented a homegrown, secure sign-up/login process that utilized passport and Express.js.
- Worked with a financial advisor to build them a web app to help with their business.
- Spun up a front-end with React, TypeScript, and Redux. Deployed it via GCP's App Engine.
- Spun up an Express.js API with TypeScript. Deployed it via GCP's App Engine.
- GCP's Datastore was used as the API's NoSQL solution.
- Worked with the QA Engineers on the squad to build out UI/E2E testing for each story.
- Helped train several developers. Most were junior devs, but one was a senior dev who hadn't used AngularJS before.
- Focused on the entire technology group (6 other teams) by attending Front-End Chapter meetings and helping flesh out the Front-End Chapter's backlog.
- Helped out people on other squads when they posted in group chat for help. Contributed to code quality by reviewing others' code and making comments or suggestions where necessary.
- Heavily involved in and passionate about recruiting efforts and the interview process. Ran technical interviews with other developers, attended a career fair, and evaluated interviewees' code.
- Worked with Ruby on Rails, Foundation, jQuery, and Angular on a number of web services offered by ReverbNation.
- Helped rewrite our artist profiles in AngularJS (from jQuery) with a new, responsive UI.
- Took on tickets as an individual contributor to help complete our two-week sprints.
- Performed manual web testing in a weekly scrum environment, with some automation thrown in using Ruby and Selenium.
- Tested Musician Pages, a brand new account type on reverbnation.com for their release.
- Worked on updating a process by which ReverbNation users could add a personalized mobile app to the App Store, which included fully automating some work on Apple's iTunes Connect site using Ruby and Watir.
Lightweight npm Packagehttps://www.npmjs.com/package/make-fixture
Next.js, Jest, AngularJS, Express.js, Material UI, Angular, Ruby on Rails (RoR), Redux, Ruby on Rails 4, Cypress, Foundation CSS
React, jQuery, Node.js, Lodash, React Testing Library, TensorFlow
NPM, Karma, Front-end Build Tools, TeamCity
Continuous Deployment, Modular CSS, Azure DevOps, REST
Web, Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC), Computer Science, Data Structures, Manual QA, UI Automation, Front-end Development, Front-end Architecture, Full-stack Development, Axios, Fetch API, Storybook, Enzyme, Full-stack, WebSockets, Accessibility
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science
North Carolina State University - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring