Java Developer in Amsterdam, Netherlands
Member since June 4, 2015
Daan is an enthusiastic and helpful person. He uses software design principles and object-oriented thinking in technical domains. He's experienced in the development of large and complex products. His strongest knowledge and experience is in Java, Android and C#.NET. Daan has worked in interdisciplinary teams as a team lead. Projects with international partners or customers resulted in successful and timely delivery of new software components.
Freelance Software Engineer2017 - PRESENTEdwards Lifesciences
Technologies: C#, WPF, SVN, Jenkins, JIRA
- Developed new features to perform medical procedures in C# using WPF.
- Helped improve the development environment with automatic build and test processes.
- Extended cross-device functionality where a C# GUI communicates with an embedded C++ app.
- Helped introduce JIRA and Agile methodology.
Freelance Software Engineer2017 - PRESENTRoyal Dutch Airlines (KLM)
Technologies: C#, WPF, REST
- Developed a desktop widget for internal use.
- Handled requirements analysis with non-tech departments.
Owner2015 - PRESENTByTerra
Technologies: Android (Native), OpenGL, libGDX, Material Design
- Developed a user-configurable animated wallpaper for Android devices using OpenGL.
- Developed a brainy puzzle game for Android devices.
Freelance Project Developer2016 - 2017GriDD Consultancy
- Analyzed project requirements.
- Developed a tool to visualize partners and sales data geographically.
Freelance Software Engineer2016 - 2017Cireca Theranostics
Technologies: Java, JavaFX, Spring, MySQL, Matlab
- Designed the UX for a tool for the exploration of microscope images and metadata.
- Developed a prototype of the exploration tool.
Freelance Android Developer2016 - 2016Pixelindustries
Technologies: Android (Native), JSON, Facebook API, Google Analytics
- Helped develop an app for viewing premium video content.
- Helped develop an app for recording personal video messages.
- Helped develop a product store.
- Added analytics functionality to an existing app.
- Helped improve the quality of an existing codebase.
Software Engineer2010 - 2015TASS International
Technologies: C#, Java, Python, C++, Matlab, Simulink
- Added a new configurable road segment with partial Euler spiral shape to a traffic scenario editor in C#.
- Added a new sensor for the detection of lane markers to a traffic scenario simulator using OpenSceneGraph in C++, Python, and C#.
- Developed a plugin to import road user data measured by laser scanners on a vehicle into a traffic scenario editor in C#.
- Developed a plugin to import real-world traffic accident data into a traffic scenario editor in C#.
- Developed a generation of 3D guardrail models using C# calling C++ through SWIG.
- Added configuration and generation of lane marker patterns using C#.
- Improved performance and usability of a traffic scenario editor in C#.NET.
- Added 3D visualization of sensor beams to a traffic scenario simulation visualization. This is done with OpenSceneGraph in C++ with control from Java and Python.
- Debugged a wide variety of issues through C#, Java, Python, C++, Matlab, and Simulink.
- Managed work and communication as a Scrum Master of a team with interdisciplinary members.
- Sought, assessed, interviewed, and trained new software development employees.
Outsourced Software Engineer2013 - 2013SEARCH S.C. - Safety Engineering Research
- Performed skill assessments, interviews, coaching, and project management to set up a new software development team.
- Developed highly configurable road marking patterns for a traffic scenario editor for the automotive safety market.
- Developed a plugin framework for a traffic scenario editor for the automotive safety market.
Computer Science Student2005 - 2010Delft University of Technology
Technologies: C#, Java, Matlab, C++
- Assisted the training of students in object-oriented software development principles.
- Developed a Reversi/Othello artificial intelligence.
- Developed a hand gesture recognition library for the control of a media player.
Scientific Research Intern2009 - 2009Associação Brasileira de Informática (ABINFO)
- Developed a user experience research tool in Java to investigate the impact of input device on primary school children of multiple cultures.
Independent Software Developer2007 - 2007Dutch Heart Foundation
- Developed a networked real-world running game for children in C#.
- Waving Wallpapers - Android App (Development)
With Waving Wallpapers, you can personalize your device background with live HD wallpapers for your home screen and lock screen.
- Highlight - Android Game (Development)
Connect the dots in this puzzle game.
- Virtual Reality in the Automotive Industry (Publication)From virtual showrooms to elaborate research and testing scenarios, virtual reality is starting to make its mark on the automotive industry. It can be used to educate novice drivers, train professionals operating industrial equipment, or test vehicles and drivers in extreme conditions. In this article, Toptal Freelance Software Engineer Daan Terra shares his experiences in the field of automotive simulations, explaining how VR can fundamentally change the way cars are marketed, tested, and developed.
FrameworksWindows Presentation Foundation (WPF), Android SDK, .NET, NUnit, Spring, Qt, Google Protocol Buffer, JUnit, Boost, Knockout.js
Libraries/APIsAndroid API, WinForms, LINQ, Log4Net, jQuery, OpenGL
ToolsMercurial, Microsoft Visual Studio, Android Studio, MATLAB, Jira, Subversion (SVN), Git, SWIG, Help+Manual, Mantis, Eclipse IDE, OpenSceneGraph, CMake
ParadigmsAgile Software Development, Object-oriented Design (OOD), Scrum, Object-oriented Programming (OOP), Unit Testing, Test-driven Development (TDD), Reflective Programming, Design Patterns, Functional Programming
PlatformsJavaFX, Android, Windows, Firebase, Linux
StorageJSON, MySQL, SQLite
OtherProject Management, In-app Purchases, log4j, Google Material Design, Doxygen
- Master's degree in Computer Science: Media and Knowledge Engineering2007 - 2010Delft University of Technology - Delft, The Netherlands
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science2004 - 2007Delft University of Technology - Delft, The Netherlands