Verified Expert in Engineering
Darko is a professional with several years of experience in software development and knows how crucial quality code, hard work, and excellent communication is to a project's success. Along with having in-depth knowledge of WordPress plugin and theme development, WooCommerce, custom web app, and REST API development, he's also skilled in server and performance optimization. Darko is passionate about learning new things and improving his existing skills.
Slack, PhpStorm, Unix, Windows
The most amazing...
...thing I've developed is an image optimization service called MegaOptim used by over 1,000 websites and applications.
Senior Full-stack Developer
- Built image compression APIs in the Lumen framework from Laravel that serves more than 1,000 web apps and sites. The resulting images are up to 92% smaller in size after optimization.
- Developed a WordPress plugin that utilizes the image compression APIs and automates the image optimization process in WordPress sites.
- Constructed a support-and-billing panel for customers to purchase premium plans, monitor statistics, and open-support requests.
- Created a PHP composer package and CLI tool that utilizes the image compression APIs and allows the optimizations APIs to be integrated into any application.
- Developed a WordPress website to showcase the service and documentation page for REST APIs.
- Created a load-balanced set up to offload requests to multiple servers and speed up the processing time.
Senior WordPress Developer
- Built the WordPress plugin "WP Vimeo Videos," currently used by more than 500 sites. The plugin integrates WordPress with Vimeo and allows users to upload Vimeo videos from the WordPress dashboard or Gutenberg editor.
- Developed the GravityForms Handmade Signatures plugin that allows the site owner to embed a signature field in any form created with GravityForms.
- Helped existing clients with bug fixing, website performance, and page-speed optimization to at least 90% percent and up to two seconds of loading time.
- Developed a custom WooCommerce solution and integrated various payment gateways for the clients' needs.
- Created an internal licensing plugin for WordPress that validates license keys and handles auto-updates of the premium plugins.
- Built the Digital License Manager plugin for WordPress that provides functionality for selling license keys for software and acts as a software licensing server. The solution can be used with or without WooCommerce.
- Refactored an eCommerce WordPress plugin and optimized its performance and security while improving code quality. Sites that used the secure plugin became 100% faster.
- Developed new features, fixed bugs, and rewrote existing functionality for better performance and security.
- Created a customized Linux hosting environment to host the client's sites that utilize their services. The new hosting environment improves the sites' performance and security and simplifies the development work and website provisioning using a command line interface.
- Implemented a GitLab CI/CD flow with pipelines on the new Linux hosting environment. This allowed developers to automatically deploy versions to both production and development sites based on certain GitLab repository actions.
- Created a custom plugin that serves as an Elementor support layer used on the clients' sites to improve the main eCommerce plugin compatibility.
- Prepared the eCommerce plugin for WordPress.org plugin directory submission, which required significant codebase changes to use WordPress coding standards and requirements that were not used before.
- Developed a multivendor marketplace plugin for WooCommerce that provides functionality where product vendors can sign up and post their products on the store where those products can be seen and purchased.
- Integrated Stripe payments through the Multivendor plugin and Stripe Connect, where vendors can set up their accounts and receive payouts through the store.
- Developed a custom plugin for events that provides functionality to publish new events on the site. Both admins or regular users can publish events; if published later, then the event is subject to approval.
- Deployed the website on Google Cloud (GCP) and set up the hosting environment using NGINX and PHP-FPM.
- Developed a WordPress plugin that integrates and consumes custom AI-based API for content suggestions.
- Created custom themes and various charts for displaying API data.
- Worked together with another developer on planning the API and custom development.
- Created AWS Lambda functions for various web automations.
Senior WordPress Developer
Land Title Association of Mississippi
- Developed an identity verification plugin that utilizes the Stripe Identity Verification API to verify a user's identity.
- Built a user directory that lists all the active user profiles that belong to a specific membership plan.
- Developed a legislation tracking plugin for tracking specific US house/senate bills.
- Built various directories like a state county directory with helpful information.
The St. Petersburg Group
- Developed the St. Pete Catalyst news site in WordPress. The website handles thousands of requests on an hourly basis and several other plugins that provide various functionalities for this site.
- Built a WordPress plugin and internal events API that hosts an events network used by pre-approved websites through the WordPress plugin, which consumes the events API.
- Created a WordPress plugin for booking advertisements that integrate with Stripe. Clients can top up their accounts with credits that can be used to purchase advertisement slots on pre-approved sites in the network for a given time.
- Developed various custom forms from XD designs used for data input by the guests, namely guest posts.
- Implemented a business directory where local businesses can create their profiles and add information about their business.
- Created a COVID-19 interactive map with several cases in zip-code regions in Pinellas county using Leaflet.js.
Senior Web Developer
- Developed a web app game that primarily focused on people with diabetes (they answered quizzes and then gained points and levels in their accounts). The application served more than 1,000 users simultaneously.
- Built a new functionality and improved the existing functionality to speed up the service phptopdf.com which serves more than 100,000 requests daily.
- Developed, maintained, and hosted over 100 WordPress websites for local and remote clients.
- Developed engagestudio.com based on the PSD design, including integrations with HubSpot and Trustpilot.
- Developed the loopsandbits.ch eCommerce site for music equipment. The eCommerce portion is based on WooCommerce and integrates with several payment gateways like PostFinance, PayPal, and Twint.
- Developed the techgarage.blog based on Zeplin designs, including dark mode, integration with Campaign Monitor, and Gravity Forms.
- Developed the Ilubooking.ee WordPress beauty-booking site and the booking REST API consumed by Android and iOS apps.
- Developed a site for online learning based on LearnDash and BuddyPress where students can sign up, create their social profiles and start online learning.
Loops and Bits WooCommerce Shophttps://www.loopsandbits.ch/
Engage Studio Custom WordPress Sitehttps://www.engagestudio.com/
Tech Garage Custom WordPress Blog
Triple M Metal WordPress Site
WP Vimeo Videos WordPress Pluginhttps://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-vimeo-videos/
MegaOptim Image Optimizer WordPress Pluginhttps://wordpress.org/plugins/megaoptim-image-optimizer/
Handmade Signatures WordPress Plugin for Gravity Formshttps://demos.codeverve.com/gravityforms-handmade-signatures/
Support and Billing Panel in Laravelhttps://app.megaoptim.com
IluBooking WordPress site
Migonline Custom PHP Applicationhttps://migonline.com
Sardo Foods Website
Sardo Foods B2B Application
St. Pete Catalyst - Business News Portalhttps://stpetecatalyst.com
CityVerse - Virtual Citieshttps://cityverse.life
Laravel Vue 3 Starterhttps://github.com/gdarko/laravel-vue-starter
Digital License Managerhttps://wordpress.org/plugins/digital-license-manager/
Genesis Framework, Divi, Laravel, Bootstrap 3+, Tailwind CSS, Angular, ASP.NET Web Forms, Symfony
ACF PRO, PhpStorm, Slack, LearnDash, Git, Cron, Advanced Custom Fields (ACF), GitHub, AffiliateWP, WP-CLI, Trello, Subversion (SVN), Jira, Gutenberg Editor, Figma, Adobe Photoshop, C#.NET WinForms
Object-oriented Programming (OOP), Responsive Layout, REST, DevOps, Agile, Scrum, Database Design, Unit Testing, UI Design, Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
WordPress, WooCommerce, WordPress Theme Design, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), LAMP, LEMP, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Windows, Unix, Android, Bluehost, Webflow
Amazon S3 (AWS S3), MySQL, Redis, Redis Cache, Memcached, SQL Performance
Elementor, WordPress Themes, PSD to WordPress, Autoptimize, Back-end, Gravity Forms, Web Hosting, WordPress Plugins, PSD to HTML, PSD Slicing, Maps, Google Maps Styling, Performance, HAProxy, Custom Post Types, Bricks, WordPress Multisite, WordPress Multi-user, Vue 3, HTML to WordPress, Learning Management Systems (LMS), Web Development, API Integration, WordPress Rescue, Front-end, Responsive UI, Responsive Design, User Experience (UX), Load Balancers, Ajax, Campaign Monitor Integration, Pop-ups, WordPress Design, eCommerce, HubSpot, Laravel Sanctum, Laravel Fortify, IT Security, Data Visualization, WP Rocket, Vimeo, APIs, PHP Performance, User Interface (UI), Headless Commerce, Astra, Pinia, Artificial Intelligence (AI), WooCommerce Subscriptions 2
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science and Engineering
Saints Cyril and Methodius University of Skopje - Skopje, Macedonia
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring