Full-stack Developer2020 - PRESENTCalcium - Freelance
- Created an interactive global hiking trail browsing system using Vue.js, Mapbox, and HTML Canvas. Users could click on any of thousands of trails and interact with relevant information in the same window.
Front-end Lead2019 - 2020Solvers
- Created a touch screen kiosk application for a smart locker system. Users could communicate with the application over Bluetooth on a smartphone app, and the software could communicate with the machine processes via MQTT. Deployed onto Raspberry Pi.
- Developed a single-page application in React, which allowed users to collaborate with team members to create a shared interactive scrapbook of images, videos, and websites.
- Published a browser extension for Firefox and Chrome, which allowed users to interact with a scrapbooking tool. This was written using a combination of web-ext and Svelte to create a small download with excellent performance and stability.
Senior Front-end Developer2017 - 2019ViaSat
- Developed a revised AngularJS single-page application that functioned as the UI for an inflight BYOD entertainment product. The same application functioned directly in the browser or wrapped in an app using Cordova to run on iOS or Android.
- Refactored a legacy SPA app for performance and maintainability improvements. Improved browser support while making performance faster in all browsers. Debugged the application inside iOS Webview to troubleshoot hard-to-find bugs.
- Co-authored a CMS in React, which allowed clients to use drag-and-drop interaction to author their own customer-facing product. This was developed as mono-repo, which ensured that authoring, previewing, and the end product were all perfectly in sync.
Senior Front-end Developer2016 - 2017Citibank
- Developed a global money movement visualization hooked into real data for an R&D project. This was used to promote the project internally.
- Built a full-stack prototype for a chatbot intended to streamline the customer experience for corporate clients.
- Prototyped a fast-search system for finding colleagues within Citi.
Senior Front-end Developer2016 - 2016Tweak
- Created an Adobe InDesign plugin to evaluate InDesign files for compatibility with a bespoke publishing system.
- Developed a web app that rendered InDesign files as web standard elements and allowed the manipulation of the same.
- Collaborated with stakeholders to prioritize new features and identify missing technical and feature requirements.
CTO2013 - 2016Fandom
Technologies: AngularJS, Node.js, Azure, REST
- Led a cross-discipline team to create a slick B2B social media product.
- Developed multiple SPAs to showcase social media activity for a range of different contexts, from the big screen to the small.
- Designed an API and associated content aggregation system to maximize the efficiency and quality of content.
UX Prototype Developer2013 - 2014Gotcha Ninjas
Technologies: Node.js, CSS, HTML
- Created a prototype for in-class behavior feedback to be used on touch screens or tablets.
- Advised the animation team on how to balance performance against the richness of movement.
- Collaborated in the creation of new concepts to communicate feedback to students.
Reasearch Assistant in User Experience2012 - 2013Trinity College Dublin
- Created a prototype UI for an adaptive media authoring system.
- Delivered a search system for navigating historical legal records in a digital humanities project.
- Guided post-grads and refactored their web UI code to best transmit their ideas online.
UI Prototype Developer2011 - 2012Spencer Stuart
- Delivered reference UI components for the integration team to use in production.
- Designed new interactions to meet business requirements as part of a design team.
- Advocated for new practices and technologies within the broader organization as part of a reciprocal process.
UX Developer2009 - 2011CKSK
- Developed front-end UIs as part of a Kohana framework.
- Created campaign sites for global brands, including Heineken and Sony.
- Advocated for best user experience, accessibility, and browser support as part of both design and delivery. Trained the design team in best practices.
Junior Developer2006 - 2008ilikecake
- Extended third-party forum solutions to be AA-level accessible, in line with government requirements.
- Modified a CMS database to support utf-8 over ASCII, saving a project for an Irish-language provider of services.
- Styled new themes for a selection of both LAMP and .NET sites and systems.