Verified Expert in Engineering
Data Modeling Developer
Davide is a senior Azure Data Engineer Associate and data architect. He is the author of "Business Intelligence with MicroStrategy Cookbook." With a career spanning three decades in data warehousing, using Oracle and SQL Server, among others, his job consists of loading, transforming, and visualizing large amounts of data, no matter where they come from—NoSQL, REST APIs, BigQuery, or streaming.
Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Amazon Web Services (AWS), SQL, Oracle
The most amazing...
...thing I've written is a book about business intelligence with Microsoft SQL Server and MicroStrategy, which is still selling well on Amazon after four years.
Atlas Group London Limited
- Installed a VM in Azure with SQL Server, read a 200/400M JSON file from within the database, and completed the query in about one minute.
- Tested several different I/O configurations with other disks and IOPS to do a POC for the client about how fast a file can be loaded.
- Created a document on the proposed changes and the needed modifications to make the application database safer and more performant.
Pfizer - PGS Operations Insights
- Was part of the team that provides insights into the supply chain. I helped the team transition to a full working CI/CD model based on GitHub, Terraform, and Kubernetes.
- Migrated the application database from on-premises Linux VM to Kubernetes cluster in AWS. I also migrated all ETL scripts and processes from Redshift to Snowflake.
- Improved the efficiency of Python code by 50%. Improved instrumentation of the code with logging, monitoring, and error handling.
- Introduced the migration for databases based on Liquibase technology.
- Reduced the database size, improved backup times, and reduced overall network costs.
- Mentored colleagues on the best practices in big database infrastructures.
Lead Data Architect
- Led a team of eight and audited, reviewed, and documented their existing data infrastructure.
- Proposed and bootstrapped a plan to improve efficiency and reduce costs.
- Introduced a ticket system for better accountability and tracking of data requests.
- Streamlined relationships with different groups in the company.
- Helped stakeholders in the definition of enterprise-wide KPIs.
Azure Data Architect
Fortune 100 North American Construction Equipment Manufacturer
- Built the new version of a legacy system used to store, retrieve, and update data about products, bills of materials, and services. The information included components, parts schematics, and maintenance manuals in all languages supported.
- Designed the database and the processes needed to move the data from the legacy system to the new one. The overall engagement consisted of building the data infrastructure supporting the application.
- Introduced Azure SQL change tracking, so tables only loaded and updated if they had modifications. Helped introduce DevOps to Azure as the standard procedure for database deployment. The entire ecosystem is hosted on Microsoft Azure.
Database Developer | Report Writer (SQL/Oracle)
- Handled the entire lifecycle of the data layer that helps run an award-winning sales representative operation application.
- Designed the architecture, developed the database, and rolled out the same in coordination with the rest of the development team.
- Handled the different stages of the database (development, testing, production) and used several tools to sync the schema and the data between them all and maintain the Azure SQL code so that it's up-to-date in the Azure DevOps repository.
- Strove to keep all the plates spinning at full speed, which involved monitoring logs, modifying T-SQL code, and optimizing indexes, statistics, and table structure to maximize Azure SQL performance.
- Designed the ER diagram from initial requirements based on a series of JSON documents needed by the middle layer. Using the latest JSON SQL techniques, I developed a series of stored procedures underpinning an API layer.
- Handled the rollout and the different phases of the database lifecycle (development, UAT, production) and synced data between the instances to keep the app running.
- Created a series of T-SQL functions using Microsoft SQL Server system-versioned tables that calculate and return only the inserted or modified data after the previous API call. This was a requirement for a disconnected progressive app.
Microsoft SQL Database Expert
- Optimized tables and indexes and analyzed and created a proof of concept for a better search using multiple filters. Used Power BI, SSRS, and data aggregation.
- Developed the company's audits, logging, and alert reporting interface with knowledge of Power BI, dashboard creation, data aggregation, and SSRS.
- Extracted data from the raw database to populate the aggregation database, analysis services, or SQL data marts with SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS).
- Designed ERD and database scripts for progressive web apps. Developed stored procedures to synchronize data between offline clients and a central database via JSON files.
- Reviewed and optimized SQL queries and merged them from different data sources.
- Built complex SQL, optimizing tables and indexes and partitioning.
- Optimized geographic queries with SQL, finding the closest matches given a point and a radius.
- Converted data from the previous on-premise server to the cloud.
MicroStrategy Senior Consultant
- Migrated SAP FI reporting from SAP BW to MicroStrategy.
- Developed the semantic layer and reports/dashboards.
- Advanced KPIs for accounts payable, accounts receivable, and supply chain management departments.
- Replicated SAP BW KPIs to work exactly the same in MicroStrategy as in BW info cubes.
- Worked in a remote multisite team within tight deadlines.
Business Intelligence Senior Consultant
- Handled business intelligence projects in the hospitality and marketing sectors. Involved in international public bidding and technical presales.
- Worked with advanced ETL scripts, JSON REST web services, semantic text analytics, and geographic queries with Microsoft SQL Server.
- Designed POC dashboards in Power BI. Immersed in the startup culture. Optimized geographic SQL queries.
MicroStrategy Senior Consultant
- Contributed with key elements to several MicroStrategy products to support management decisions in logistics, production, and financials. Provided data modeling, ETL, and development.
- Gathered requirements, set expectations, trained junior employees, managed projects, and provided support for all products.
- Maintained the existing BI stack and improved the efficiency of SQL databases.
Business Intelligence Architect
Public Health Services, Region of Andalucía
- Managed a five-member team proactively and negotiated with clients.
- Designed and built a proof of concept for a full-stack BI infrastructure for hospital data analysis based on MicroStrategy and SharePoint with custom SSO and user authorization to comply with PA standards.
- Made a series of departmental integrations with the hospital information system and HL7 validation.
- Built interactive data pages for almost real-time ER monitoring and bed allocation.
- Authored "Business Intelligence with MicroStrategy," from concept to final review.
- Created additional material for the website, including videos, code, and examples.
- Collaborated with the editing team, one chapter at a time.
- Prepared practical exercises and videos, editing and post-processing.
- Used heterogeneous sources, including Vertica and BigQuery.
Diagnostics Equipment Integration and Automation Developer
- Automated and integrated multiple diagnostic appliances with Xiril robotic workstation (thermoshaker, barcode scanner, etc.).
- Developed a new application to manage and service an array reader (a serial communication layer and UX design).
- Integrated hardware and software from disparate vendors and created an OLE DB layer to manage different machines.
- Managed projects and oversaw source version control.
- Did RS232 programming in C++ and user interface in C#.
Data Analyst | Database Developer
- Studied, analyzed, and developed a time series-oriented database to store, consult, and update the time series datasets used in economic models.
- With different models and mathematical software (GAMS, Vensim), the database allowed input and output and conversion of datasets between them.
- Helped multiple teams create databases for their statistical models.
Business Intelligence Developer
- Designed, developed, and maintained an Oracle data warehouse in one of the biggest hospitals in Spain.
- Dealt with ETL loads, semantic layer, and daily monitoring.
- Mentored warehouse builder and MicroStrategy users.
- Maintained a proactive, customer-oriented presence with impeccable accountability.
- Studied and produced a proof of concept for a full-text search engine for the retrieval of medical and biological literature from scientific web databases (PubMed, etc.) and international genome databases.
- Researched and developed an intranet proteomic application aimed at helping hemoglobin variations research.
- Created a cluster of 30 Linux machines to run different FASTA/BLAST searches.
Bioinformatics Developer and DBA
- Helped build a European database of samples and antibiogram test results for an antibiotic surveillance network.
- Developed connections to different lab hardware and software.
- Facilitated extraction and data cleansing. Developed and maintained shell scripts and Python code to do ETL/ELT.
- Provided remote support to hospital personnel. Provided remote desktop and unattended maintenance.
Helpdesk and Third-party Vendor Management Specialist
- Provided hardware and software maintenance, third-party provider management, and user support.
- Designed, developed, and maintained the sales department data warehouse.
- Helped migrate data from a legacy AS-400 to an SAP R/3 system.
- Maintained crucial vendor relationships with a service-oriented approach.
- Applied a problem-solving approach to product support, customer support, troubleshooting, and beta testing.
- Developed samples and technical documentation to be included in the company knowledge base.
- Helped build a customer satisfaction data warehouse to measure call center performance.
- Communicated successfully with customers and handled issues/bugs/feature recommendations.
A Preliminary Study for a Unified Time Series Model Data Warehousehttp://www.slideshare.net/dmoraschi/PP1-704726
I also developed and supported an ETL tool used to convert datasets between several models (time series).
Business Intelligence with MicroStrategy Cookbookhttps://www.packtpub.com/product/business-intelligence-with-microstrategy-cookbook/9781782179757
Learn about every step of the BI project, starting from the installation of a sample database. Design web reports and documents. Configure, develop, and use the mobile dashboard. Master data discovery with Visual Insight and MicroStrategy Cloud Express. Learn with the help of practical, real-life examples and screencasts for each exercise.
I developed a RESTful layer to interface MicroStrategy with SharePoint.
Microsoft Professional Program Data Science Certificatehttps://academy.microsoft.com/en-us/certificates/bac602db-9cea-431b-952c-6988d4a69d0d
Microsoft Power BI, Excel 2016, Microsoft Excel, Apache Airflow, BigQuery, Tableau, AWS Glue, Redshift Spectrum, Jira, Amazon CloudWatch
ETL, Business Intelligence (BI), Database Design, DevOps, Data-driven Design, Database Development, ETL Implementation & Design, Data Science, REST, Azure DevOps, Dimensional Modeling, Microservices, Building Information Modeling (BIM)
Amazon Web Services (AWS), Oracle, Azure, Jupyter Notebook, Databricks, Linux, Kubernetes, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), AWS Lambda, Apache Kafka, Azure Synapse
Oracle PL/SQL, SQL Server 2012, Azure SQL Databases, Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle RDBMS, SQL Server 2014, SQL Server 2016, Azure SQL, Databases, PostgreSQL, SQL Stored Procedures, Data Pipelines, Database Modeling, Data Integration, Database Administration (DBA), Database Migration, Database Transactions, Database Structure, MySQL, SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS), Oracle 10g, Oracle 11g, SQL Server DBA, Oracle SQL, Amazon S3 (AWS S3), Amazon Aurora, Data Lakes, Oracle DBA, PL/SQL, JSON, Redshift, Relational Databases, NoSQL, AWS Data Pipeline Service
Data Warehouse Design, MicroStrategy, ETL Development, Data Analysis, Data Warehousing, Data Engineering, Data Marts, Data Analytics, Architecture, APIs, Data Modeling, Data Management, Data Architecture, Big Data, Big Data Architecture, DataOps, Data Visualization, Database Optimization, BI Reporting, Dashboards, Transactions, Data, ETL Testing, Complex Data Analysis, Azure Data Factory, Integration, Team Leadership, Server Migration, Containers, ETL Tools, API Integration, Amazon RDS, CI/CD Pipelines, Writing & Editing, Microsoft Azure, HL7, Shell Scripting, Azure Data Lake, Azure Databricks, AWS Database Migration Service, Data Build Tool (dbt), Statistics, Genomics, Electronic Health Records (EHR)
Windows PowerShell, Spark, .NET
Bachelor's Degree in Literature
Liceo Classico - Milan, Italy
Snowflake Hands On Essentials - Data Warehouse
Hands On Essentials - Data Applications
Liquibase Fundamentals Certification
Microsoft Azure Data Engineer Associate
MicroStrategy Certified Architect
Google Cloud Certified - Associate Cloud Engineer
Microsoft® Certified Professional
MicroStrategy Certified Engineering Principal
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring