Verified Expert in Engineering
Data Scientist and Machine Learning Developer
Diogo is a machine learning engineer with a Master of Science degree in aeronautics and expertise in the whole pipeline from data visualization to model deployment. His 14+ years of international experience in research and development for defense, public safety, and aerospace industries allow him to combine new methodologies, like deep learning and computer vision, with traditional ones (e.g., physics, simulation, sensor fusion, Kalman filter, Fourier transform, and signal processing).
Python 3, SciPy, Scikit-learn, Pandas, PyTorch, Jupyter Notebook, Fast.ai, Aerospace & Defense, Digital Signal Processing, Computer Vision
The most amazing...
...thing I've developed detects and identifies concealed weapons (e.g., handguns) and non-weapons (e.g., phones) on the body by combining deep learning and radar.
Machine Learning Developer
Ford Motor Company
- Tasked with the research and development of future artificial intelligence applications for the next generation of autonomous vehicle infotainment systems at Ford's R&D laboratory.
- Conceived a series of PoCs for the self-driving car, including different areas, such as deep learning, computer vision, user recommendation, embedded systems, and connectivity with other devices.
- Utilized many technologies, including Linux, Office365, Eclipse, Blackberry QNX, CMake, C++, Android Auto, AUTOSAR, Python, OpenCV, TensorFlow, Git, and Google Cloud Platform.
Lead Data Scientist
Patriot One Technologies
- Created a deep learning model that detects concealed weapons with radar and magnetic sensors, digital signal processing, and a convolutional neural network.
- Managed a technical team consisting of a principal scientist and data scientists on an Agile project.
- Accumulated management roles as machine learning engineer and data science team leader with my original role as a data scientist.
Senior Consultant Engineer
- Coded embedded C++ for the BMW and Continental future fully digital driver's dashboard, specifically the BMW Series 7 Instrument Cluster 5th Generation.
- Updated procedures on the Confluence website such as onboarding instructions for new team members and how to set up the environment.
- Applied Google unit tests and Python Robot framework to automate testing procedures for verification of new versions before release.
- Completed a data science analysis of an MRO warehouse, reducing 30% of the spare parts stock value without impacting stock-out.
- Promoted industry 4.0 applications, including additive manufacturing (3D printing), augmented reality, IoT, big data, machine learning, and artificial intelligence.
- Presented a successful business case for acquiring a professional 3D printer that reduced the acquisition of plastic SKUs by 66% annually.
- Implemented three proofs of concept with augmented reality.
- Served as the scrum master for developing and employing a new system to request materials and services. Increased the administrative assistant team's productivity by 48% and improved access to information for the internal maintenance team.
Chief of Technology Office
- Turned my startup GoEpik into the most attractive Brazilian startup by 2017 while I was the CTO by offering augmented reality for field maintenance. We were accelerated by Google and Plug and Play with an invitation to stay in Silicon Valley.
- Conceived and coded the first prototype to visually guide the user to record proofs of task completions with pictures and ease maintenance activities, such as inspection, cleaning, and lubrication. It was converted into sales for Natura and Renault.
- Conceived and coded the second prototype to connect an expert with a field technician through video conference, using an augmented reality platform with computer vision features such as adding markers, texts, and pictures in the field of view.
- Benchmarked similar products and competitors for marketing positioning, including SightCall, Microsoft HoloLens, and Scope AR.
Combat System Integration Engineer
Itaguai Construcoes Navais
- Performed assembly and inspection specifications (AIS); setting-to-work (STW); factory acceptance tests (FAT); and integration, verification, validation, and qualification (IVVQ) activities.
- Participated in the transfer of technology at former DCNS premises for the combat system integration activities during on-the-job training (OJT) under the new Riachuelo class (derived from the French Scorpène) for the Brazilian submarine program.
- Translated technical documents from English and French to Portuguese.
Project and Commercial Manager
- Prospected a R$200,000 new contract for embedded software development from DCNS, a French Naval and Defense exporter, by working all the way from first cold contact with the client until the contract signature.
- Led engineers who were expatriated to France for software development on the client’s premises.
- Accumulated the responsibility for the contract prospected by me. Embedded software development for PLC under the PMI methodology to French clients.
- Reported my project progress to stakeholders, including the CEO, the new business director, and the French client DCNS.
- Finished the project within the deadline, and its profit was above expectations, from a loss to 10% positive.
- Wrote contracts, including pricing definitions and answers to requests for information and proposals (RFI/RFQ).
- Represented as an exhibitor in many international defense events, such as the Brazilian LAAD and IDEX in the United Arab Emirates.
- Developed real-time data fusion for missiles and guided bombs: transfer alignment for initialization of inertial platform and aided navigation (GPS, BaroAltimeter, and aircraft INS).
- Validated the embedded code on hardware-in-the-loop simulation, embedded on ARM using C language, and analyzed flight test data by telemetry in the field at Air Force launching base.
- Increased the flight span duration from 1 to 10 minutes thanks to better navigation accuracy.
- Created a novel target tracking algorithm for missile employing extended Kalman filter by performing data fusion of passive target line-of-sight signals based on 6-states extended Kalman filter with design in MATLAB and embedded in C code.
- Automated code unit tests of in-house linear algebra and Kalman filter libraries.
- Simulated missiles subsystems including moving parts, hydraulic, external, and internal aerodynamics (subsonic and supersonic) on Simulink.
- Defined the technical specification of the inertial unit (gyroscope and accelerometer) for a long-range missile.
- Translated technical documents such as textbooks, papers, and technical reports from English to Portuguese.
- Retrofitted the propulsion system for the F5-BR jet fighter and AMX (A-1M) jet bomber, including field tests with the airplane anchored to the ground and its turbine operating with afterburner on.
- Created a simulation of the Rolls-Royce Spey Mark 807 engine in MATLAB to support other departments such as aerodynamics.
- Managed propulsion system project requirements with DOORS software.
Fake Face Generatorhttps://arxiv.org/pdf/1511.06434.pdf
Covid-19 Triage by Hemogram
Concealed Weapon Detectorhttps://patriot1tech.com/
Online Product Recommender for eCommerce
Flight Delay Predictor
Bike Sharing Demand Forecast
Retailer Customer Segmentation
Painting Style Copier
Missile Autopilot (Navigation, Guidance, and Command)
Sentiment Analysis for movie reviews
Brandify, Online Addition of Logo on Background of An Awesome Ad Image
This methodology is achievable by reusing a trained ResNet101 (transfer learning) for image segmentation, followed by image processing to find the best spot on the background to place the logo.
Virtual Try-on (Virtual Showroom, Augmented Reality with Real Garments)
Planned the scope of the proof-of-concept (POC) and minimum viable product (MVP) for a startup about to launch a new mobile shopping experience by combining augmented reality, photogrammetry, artificial intelligence, simulations, and virtual try-on.
The outputs are a photorealistic image of the user wearing the virtual garment and a heatmap as a realistic representation of how the garment will fit and the proper size for the specific user.
Proposed new state-of-the-art solutions (better than photogrammetry) to accurately scan the human body.
Video Special Effects (Instagram-style Filters)https://youtu.be/Q1P3Hq6fsoE
Data Science for Forex
The studies included:
• analysis and feature engineering of historical real trading data.
• a custom-trained model with emphasis on explicability.
• a custom Kalman Filter for intraday.
• time-series ARIMA analyses.
• pair trading.
Python 3, C++, Python, C, SQL, Simulink, C#, GPSS, Embedded C, Python 2, Bash Script, Bash
Flight, Unity3D, Google Test, Flask, Robot Framework, Robot
PyTorch, Pandas, Scikit-learn, NumPy, Matplotlib, SciPy, OpenCV, FFmpeg, WebRTC, REST APIs, Beautiful Soup, Fast.ai, TensorFlow, Keras, Asyncio
Seaborn, Radar, Microsoft Power BI, MATLAB, Git, AutoML, Jira, OpenAI Gym, Confluence, CMake, HP Quality Center (QC), Wireshark, DOORS, Composer, GitHub, PeopleTools, Android Auto, Docker Compose, Snapdragon Neural Processing Engine (SNPE)
Data Science, Management, Agile, REST, Continuous Integration (CI), PMBOK, RESTful Development
Jupyter Notebook, Anaconda, Windows, Heroku, Azure, Linux, Visual Studio Code (VS Code), Android, Vuforia, Docker, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Ubuntu, Particle
Digital Signal Processing, Kalman Filtering, Aerospace & Defense, Aeronautics, Supervised Learning, Machine Learning, Predictive Modeling, Regression, Data Analysis, Deep Learning, Convolutional Neural Networks, Autoencoders, Learning Transfer, Metrics, Translation, Neural Networks, Artificial Intelligence (AI), Computer Vision, Classification, Deep Neural Networks, Product Development, Analysis, Trend Analysis, Image Processing, Navigation, Autopilot, Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV), Cloud Data Fusion, Fourier Transform (FT), Signal Processing, Visualization, Statistical Modeling, Research, Engineering, Image Recognition, Sensor Fusion, Inertial Navigation Systems (INS), Decision Tree Classification, Decision Tree Regression, Decision Trees, Linear Regression, Polynomial Regression, Mathematics, Physics, 3D, Computer Vision Algorithms, Simulations, Controls, Entrepreneurship, Unsupervised Learning, Clustering, Generative Adversarial Networks (GANs), Writing & Editing, GPU Computing, Graphics Processing Unit (GPU), Time Series, Product Forecasts, Sales Forecasting, Augmented Reality (AR), Hardware-in-the-Loop (HIL) Simulation, Statistics, Data Analytics, CTO, Logistic Regression, Numerical Simulations, 3D Image Processing, Aerodynamics, Aircraft Engineering, Finance, Administration, Projects, Reinforcement Learning, Data Inference, Analytics, Deployment, Natural Language Processing (NLP), Trend Forecasting, Time Series Analysis, Recurrent Neural Networks (RNN), Product Lifecycle Management (PLM), Business Cases, Annotations, Grammar & Language Creation, Texting, APIs, Kaggle, Online Sales, eCommerce, Markov Model, Deep Reinforcement Learning, Network Analysis, Office 365, 3D Printing, Predictive Maintenance, SAP, Airtable, IP Networks, Bokeh, Data Visualization, Data Mining, Data Cleaning, Technical Leadership, Web Scraping, Scraping, Recommendation Systems, Text Processing, Text Classification, Leadership, Team Leadership, Agile Leadership, GPS, ARM, Telemetry, Industry 4.0, Warehouses, Forecasting, Requirements, Teamwork, Pricing, Contract, Business to Business (B2B), Physics Simulations, Sensor Data, Estimators, Predictive Analytics, Predictive Learning, Predictive Text, Image Segmentation, AUTOSAR, QNX, MPEG, Scripting, Videos, Object Detection, Articles, Planning, MVP Design, Minimum Viable Product (MVP), POC, Proof of Concept (POC), Lean Startups, Startups, Virtual Reality (VR), Photogrammetry, Fashion, PNG, MP4, Video Processing, FastCV, OpenVX, Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL), Robotics, Simultaneous Localization & Mapping (SLAM), Localization, Search, Mapping, Monte Carlo, Policy, PID Controllers, Simulators, White Papers, Biometrics, Facial Recognition, Linear Algebra, ARIMA, Forex Analysis, Open Neural Network Exchange (ONNX), Development, TensorFlow Light, MediaPipe, Trading, Stock Trading, Stock Market, Dashboards, Mobile Apps, Technical Hiring, Code Review, Source Code Review, Interviewing, Data-informed Recommendations, Consulting, GPT, Generative Pre-trained Transformers (GPT)
Project Management, Marketing
Master's Degree in Computer Science
Georgia Tech - Atlanta, Georgia, USA
MBA in Entrepreneurship
Getulio Vargas Foundation (FGV) - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Master's Degree in Aerospace Engineering
Institute of Aeronautical Technology - São José dos Campos, Brazil
Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering
Institute of Military Engineering - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
AI Product Manager
Data Science Essentials
Translator English Portuguese