Verified Expert in Engineering
Dmitry is a versatile, full-stack developer with solid skills in the modern web (React and Node.js), Python, Linux, and an excellent algorithmic mind. He enjoys developing the front and back-ends and dealing with databases, deployments, and automatization. While working on a project, Dmitry communicates clearly and always strives for a deep understanding of his client's needs to efficiently address their problems.
Terminal, Visual Studio Code (VS Code), Git, OS X
The most amazing...
...thing I've built is an online graphical editor for D&D fantasy maps with more than 300,000 active monthly users.
Senior Full-stack Web Developer
- Designed the architecture and implemented the new React rewrite of the legacy app.
- Updated the legacy Angular app by adding new features and fixing bugs.
- Actively participated in team discussions; giving feedback and sharing my ideas about the product.
Principal Full-stack Web Developer
Random Variations (via Toptal)
- Implemented a complete MVP of a real-time music app, from scratch.
- Worked as the only tech person on the team, frequently communicated with my non-tech clients to make sure the end result matched their needs and vision.
Freelance Full-stack Web Developer
Cardero-X (via Toptal)
- Designed and implemented parts of the REST API.
- Implemented an admin app to enable the CRUD of domain-specific data.
- Added support for different user roles and different access levels inside the admin app.
Freelance Full-stack Web Developer
Audantic (via Toptal)
- Implemented a reusable production-quality skeleton for building Flask APIs including authentication with API keys, filtering, pagination, validation, Swagger docs, and more.
- Implemented a heat map visualization of property prices with Google Maps.
- Designed and implemented a product page with embedded Looker data dashboards.
- Measured and optimized the performance of certain API calls—optimizing the database query performance.
- Consulted with my client regarding the technology choices for the web and API.
Freelance Full-stack Web Developer
Reporter Suite (via Toptal)
- Conducted a complete rewrite of a legacy AngularJS app to modern React stack resulting in a much more fast, robust, user-friendly, and maintainable web app.
- Set up the infrastructure, deployment processes, and monitoring for the updated application on an AWS cloud platform; integrated user analytics and client-side error tracking.
- Migrated old users and data to the new app, ensuring a smooth transition for the existing customers.
- Implemented many new features while working closely with the project owner, such as Stripe payments processing, a notifications functionality, invoice PDF generation, data export, admin UI, and many others.
HTML Academy (Online Front-end Courses)
- Developed one of the best online education projects on front-end technologies in Russian.
Freelance Full-stack Web Developer
Baleen Labs (via Toptal)
- Developed a proof-of-concept SPA: visual block editor for code and business logic, akin to Microsoft micro:bit.
- Adapted a drag-n-drop library Dragula to play well with React.
- Implemented a markup after being provided Sketch designs for Baleen.io (a promo page for the company and their product).
- Developed another demo SPA that heavily used Google Maps API.
- Adapted an existing API for this second demo to be more RESTful-like, and integrated this API with the front-end.
- Took care of the dockerization and deployment of the developed apps to EC2 and documented the process of the deployment.
Full-stack Web Developer
- Optimized the app load time and client-side performance using such techniques like above-the-fold rendering, code splitting, caching of server-side rendered React components, and more.
- Consolidated localization messages between the web and mobile app—implemented tooling for intracompany collaborative crowd-sourced localization.
- Worked closely with UX designers to optimize the web-app for desktop experience—implemented responsive desktop layout, improved keyboard navigation, and more.
- Implemented and integrated with our Jenkins CI end-to-end Selenium tests running on the BrowserStack cloud platform on different browsers and different types of OS.
- Created tools for stress-testing and performance reports (max requests per second, CPU/memory utilization, and more) of the server-side rendering server.
- Participated in technical interviews for candidates for the generalist software engineer position.
- Ported a number of critical features from the older monolithic website.
AIM Tech Algotrading
- Developed a scalable cluster system for easier scheduling of simulations of trading strategies on historical data to boost the productivity of our quantitative analysts.
- Designed and implemented the web front-end for this system so that that the quantitative analysts can launch their simulations, compare the performance of different approaches, visualize the results, and export data for further analysis.
- Adapted the same back-end and developed a new front-end for a student contest of HFT (high-frequency trading) strategies. This lasted two months and attracted ~1,000 participants, mainly Russian math/computer science students which allowed the company to created simulations of its pool of quantitative analyst candidates.
- Set up the infrastructure for the logging and monitoring of the system using open source technologies such as Prometheus, Grafana, and Graylog for the better visibility, user analytics, performance monitoring, and debugging ease.
- Implemented a number of high-performant data parsers for different trading data formats (FIX, FAST, and more).
- Participated in the technical interviews involving our team by designing interview questions and test projects for the candidates.
R&D Software Simulation Intern
- Developed a performance simulator for a new, experimental computer architecture in a small team of researchers.
- Investigated the impact of several architectural features on the performance of the modeled architecture, implemented these features in the simulator, and presented the report at the end of the internship.
- Learned a great deal about low-level programming, compilers, computer architecture, and code optimizations.
Freelance Software Enginneer
- Developed a cross-platform desktop application for testing and developing electronic devices working with ARINC429 protocol (a protocol used in avionics). I worked on it together with another engineer, doing both low-level and UI programming as well as handling the communication with the client and presenting the product. Technology stack: C, C++, Qt4, serial ports.
- Prototyped various algorithms for discrete optimization (route-planning, TSP) and classification problems. Technology stack: Python, Cython, Numpy, SciPy.
- Supported and improved five different web apps for small-to-medium enterprises.
Wordcloudy – Word Art Generator
It's my hobby indie project and I'm the creator and the only developer.
Technologies: Rust, Web Assembly, TypeScript, React, NestJS, TypeORM, PostgreSQL
MyGuitarTuner – Online Microphone Tuner
Technologies: Web Audio, Gatsby, React, TypeScript, Rust, Web Assembly, HTML Canvas
Random Variations (MVP) | Practice Tool for Music Students (Music Drill Generator)
Users can create sharable practice sessions, tweak session parameters to fit their needs (e.g., by adding chords, scales, random note sequences, etc.), play the exercises back, export them as MIDI, and more.
Technologies: Firebase, React, MobX, Web Audio API, VexFlow
Reporter Suite App (via Toptal) | Single-page Application (SPA) and Back Endhttps://www.reportersuite.com/
This is the app of choice for US court reporters and it greatly simplifies their day-to-day routines.
• Invoice management system with built-in payment. processing time, expenses, case log tracking, and more
• Generating official reports based on the tracked data.
• Public shareable profile pages for court reporters with contact and order forms.
• Social features.
My client asked me to do a complete rewrite of the AngularJS legacy app running on the Stamplay platform to something more modern, maintainable, and scalable and also to expand the app functionality based on the feedback from users of the old version.
• Set up the AWS infrastructure, the staging environment, monitoring, user analytics dashboards, and error tracking; conducted load-testing.
• Added Stripe payments processing.
• Enabled authentication with Google accounts
• Added new user roles and user interactions: e.g., users receive notifications of incoming invoices that other users create for them, etc.
• Added an admin UI to simplify app maintenance.
Technologies: AWS, Docker, React, Redux, PostgreSQL, Node.js, Hapi, Sequelize, Metabase, TrackJS, Stripe, Redis
Smarkets Web App
Being a part of a very tight team with daily standup meetings and frequent cross-team communication, there was a lot of responsibility on my shoulders and I contributed a great deal to the app's functionality and performance.
The project itself is meant to replace the older monolithic legacy website. It now has a much more maintainable code base (some parts of which are shared with our React Native mobile app), a top-notch technology stack, and is built upon the best practices for modern high-performant mobile sites.
HFT Battle | Trading Strategies Contest Platform
Participants can implement their trading strategies in either C++ or Python, and then run it either locally with a provided SDK (for debugging) or use the web-interface to schedule their simulations to be run on a cluster infrastructure. After the simulation is finished, they can see charts visualizing the trading behavior of their algorithms, test and compare different approaches, and export the data for further analysis.
Visual Code Block Editor (via Toptal)
I've implemented only the front-end part of the project with the back-end being mocked for the demo purposes.
Decision Trees Machine Learning Libraryhttps://github.com/dmitru/pines
This project is the result of my interest in machine learning—implementing decision trees from scratch allowed me to deeply understand the concept.
Time Tracker | Full-stack Toptal Test Project (SPA and API)
This is a multi-user time tracker SPA. I've implemented both the front- and back-end following the project requirements and working on it during the evenings and the weekends.
Technologies: React, Redux, MongoDB, Sequelize, Heroku
Personal Expenses Tracker (Web SPA, API and Chatbot)
Technologies: Node.js, LoopBack.io, ES6, Webpack, React, Redux, HTML5, Sass, Python 3, PyMongo, MongoDB, AWS, Docker, Linux, Bash Script
Blog Post: Theming Apps in Sasshttps://firstname.lastname@example.org/easy-color-theming-with-scss-bc38fd5734d1
NestJS, Next.js, Bootstrap, Express.js, Redux, MUI (Material UI), StrongLoop, Angular, Loopback, Jest, Twisted, React Native, Flask, Hapi.js, GWT, Ruby on Rails (RoR), Boost, OAuth 2, JSON Web Tokens (JWT), JUnit, Selenium, Qt, Django
React, REST APIs, Firebase Web SDK, NgRx, Node.js, Immutable.js, Pthreads, Web Audio API, Sockets, Pandas, D3.js, Highcharts, NumPy, jQuery, Stripe API, Web Audio, Google Maps API, MobX, HTML5 Canvas, SciPy, Stripe, Redux-Saga, MPI, RxJS, Vue, OpenMP, VK API, Three.js, Telegram Messenger API, Scikit-learn, Ramda
Balsamiq Mockups, Sequelize, Mongoose, Canvas 2D, Sketch, Mocha, Tmux, RabbitMQ, LaTeX, NPM, Graphviz, Slack, Bitbucket, GitHub, Jenkins, Jupyter, Graylog, Webpack 2, NGINX, Adobe Lightroom, Ansible, Git, Makefile, Subversion (SVN), Terminal, Webpack, Apache Tomcat, Sketch 2, Docker Compose, Valgrind, Karma, Cron, Travis CI, BrowserStack, Stash, Grafana, Vim Text Editor, Vagrant, Flex/Bison, GDB, Asana, Gulp, Jira, GitLab, Grunt, Pivotal Tracker, Celery, Apache, Adobe Photoshop, CMake
REST, Unit Testing, Distributed Computing, Reactive Programming, Parallel Computing, Stress Testing, Asynchronous Programming, Microservices Architecture, Responsive Layout, Web Application Architecture, Responsive, Continuous Integration (CI), Rapid Prototyping, Prototype-based OOP, Functional Programming, Object-oriented Design (OOD), BEM, Test-driven Development (TDD), UX Design, Progressive Enhancement, Continuous Delivery (CD), Compiler Design
Relational Databases, MongoDB, Redis, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Databases, Microsoft SQL Server, Memcached, Oracle PL/SQL, Oracle SQL
Semantic UI, Single-page Applications (SPA), Software Development, Wireframing, Code Splitting, Apollo, Algorithms, Website Performance, ESLint, Responsive UI, Data Structures, Rendering Performance, Source Code Review, Debugging, Server-side Rendering (SSR), Networks, Client-server Model, TypeORM, Cython, Qt 4, Real-time Audio Processing, Audio, Chatbots, Distributed Systems, Web App Security, Scraping, Prometheus, Data Analysis, SVG, Data Visualization, GitFlow, Mailchimp API
Firebase, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Amazon EC2, Docker, MacOS, Linux, OS X, Java EE, OpenCart, NVIDIA CUDA, New Relic, Arduino, Heroku, Windows, Visual Studio Code (VS Code)
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science and Applied Mathematics
Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology - Moscow, Russia