Verified Expert in Engineering
Embedded Systems Developer
Element has over 18 years of software development experience, including Linux and embedded systems, as well as a wide range of other technical and creative skills: SQL, VHDL on FPGAs, schematic capture, PCB layout, website development, Django, 3D CAD, GUI development, Android development, and more. Element's particular strengths are with C and Python. Element is highly self-motivated, enjoys learning new tech, has exemplary communications skills, and prides himself on delivering quality work.
Linux, CMake, GCC, gedit, GDB, Python
The most amazing...
...project I've developed is a 1024 input by 128 output analog video router that is currently deployed by Los Angeles DOT.
Chief Technology Officer
- Developed 100% of the company software for a manufacturer of professional broadcast video and audio routing products. Engineered hardware on several products for schematic capture and PCB layout using KiCad.
- Created embedded systems firmware for video/audio routing products using Linux, FreeRTOS, and C main() (no operating system). Firmware was written in C and primarily on ARM-based microcontrollers. Ported FreeRTOS to custom STM32-based ARM controllers.
- Engineered PCB hardware and developed VHDL logic on a Xilinx FPGA for a 48x48 digital audio router utilized in sports stadiums throughout the USA.
- Engineered hardware for video crosspoint/controller and developed embedded FreeRTOS firmware for a 64x64 SDI digital video/audio router using a dense BGA component footprint.
- Developed and maintained the company Django website, including the Python logic and templates, graphics with Inkscape and Gimp, 3D product illustrations with Blender 3D, product manuals from a template system, and an advanced product search interface.
- Built an Android app for controlling video and audio routers over a TCP/IP port.
- Developed an SDI video/audio test application with a Black Magic Decklink card and a C++ API. A test 12G-SDI video signal was generated and looped back through the device under test that was then displayed on a monitor with data error detection.
- Engineered several 3D CAD chassis components for metal fabrication for product enclosures.
- Constructed all firmware, engineered most PCB hardware, and several mechanical components of a large 1024 input by 128 output composite analog video router, deployed by Los Angeles DOT to monitor traffic cameras throughout the city.
- Implemented an MRP/ERP system using Python-based Odoo (previously OpenERP) and customized for the company's manufacturing, purchasing, and sales operations.
- Developed an embedded Linux GUI for an award-winning HD Radio Exciter product, a central control daemon with custom protocol, and a Linux kernel driver interfacing with an FPGA in a Linux-based HD Radio Encoder companion product.
- Built a serial to an ethernet bridge product on an embedded system for bridging IP networks over a long-distance serial link.
- Created embedded firmware for a USB-controlled gambling machine button interface with RGB spectrum LEDs on an ARM-based microcontroller.
- Constructed a Linux daemon for a network gateway product for collecting gambling machine statistics wirelessly over Zigbee interfaces.
- Developed an embedded systems control interface for a medical laser and defined a text-based command protocol for it.
- Built the application firmware and Linux distribution for a 2-rack unit control panel with LCD for controlling video and audio routers.
Computer Programmer | Systems Analyst
Horizon Instructional Systems
- Deployed Internet and network services on Linux servers, including web, email, file sharing, and databases for this charter school, which was, at that time, the largest charter school in California.
- Implemented and maintained a Gmail email list server for organization-wide administrative communications.
- Developed interactive PHP web interfaces connected to SQL databases.
- Handled technical support calls from administration concerning Internet services.
- Developed 2D graphics routines in C for a medical patient-monitoring device.
- Optimized C graphics routines by directly accessing graphic card memory.
- Cleaned up and simplified C code written by other team members.
I am the creator and currently sole developer of this application and the Kymorphia Vector Instrument format.
I implemented custom Wagtail content types and a file download app that protects paid file downloads and tracks file download statistics. I am the sole developer of this website and deployed it on an Ubuntu Linux VPS using an Nginx web server and MySQL.
I am the creator of this project and the primary developer.
Matrix Switch Corporation Websitehttp://www.matrixswitchcorp.com
I was the sole creator of this website, graphics content, and product manuals. 3D product illustrations were created with Blender and Inkscape. This website also has a custom product-information import/export Python script to maintain the information on hundreds of products and export it for synchronization with third-party resellers.
I was one of the early developers and maintainers of this audio synthesis library. I contributed C code for loading SoundFont files that I had created for Swami and helped the original author create an API for utilizing this library in other applications.
Blitzer File Search
I am the sole creator and developer of this project.
KVMR Audio Archiver
GCC, GDB, KiCad, Odoo, GTK+, Apache, Inkscape, PCB Layout, CMake, GNU Make, Git, GNU Autoconf, Blender, FreeCAD, NGINX, SHOUTcast
Linux, ARM Linux, NVIDIA CUDA
MySQL, PostgreSQL, JSON, SQLite
gedit, ARM Embedded, Networking, TCP/IP, FreeRTOS, APIs, PCB Design, Real-time Operating System (RTOS), Embedded Systems, MCU, Embedded Hardware, Algorithms, Wagtail CMS, 2D Graphics, Device Drivers, Linux Device Driver, Icecast, Audio Streaming, Schematics, OpenCL/GPU, Qmail, GPU Computing
jQuery, Pthreads, REST APIs
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring