Embedded Systems Developer
Element has over 18 years of software development experience, including Linux and embedded systems, as well as a wide range of other technical and creative skills: SQL, VHDL on FPGAs, schematic capture, PCB layout, website development, Django, 3D CAD, GUI development, Android development, and more. Element's particular strengths are with C and Python. Element is highly self-motivated, enjoys learning new tech, has exemplary communications skills, and prides himself on delivering quality work.
ExperienceSQL - 18 yearsLinux - 18 yearsC - 18 yearsARM Embedded - 16 yearsPython - 12 yearsJSON - 8 yearsVHDL - 6 yearsDjango - 6 years
Linux, CMake, GCC, gedit, GDB, Python
The most amazing...
...project I've developed is a 1024 input by 128 output analog video router that is currently deployed by Los Angeles DOT.
Chief Technology Officer
- Developed 100% of the company software for a manufacturer of professional broadcast video and audio routing products. Engineered hardware on several products for schematic capture and PCB layout using KiCad.
- Created embedded systems firmware for video/audio routing products using Linux, FreeRTOS, and C main() (no operating system). Firmware was written in C and primarily on ARM-based microcontrollers. Ported FreeRTOS to custom STM32-based ARM controllers.
- Engineered PCB hardware and developed VHDL logic on a Xilinx FPGA for a 48x48 digital audio router utilized in sports stadiums throughout the USA.
- Engineered hardware for video crosspoint/controller and developed embedded FreeRTOS firmware for a 64x64 SDI digital video/audio router using a dense BGA component footprint.
- Developed and maintained the company Django website, including the Python logic and templates, graphics with Inkscape and Gimp, 3D product illustrations with Blender 3D, product manuals from a template system, and an advanced product search interface.
- Built an Android app for controlling video and audio routers over a TCP/IP port.
- Developed an SDI video/audio test application with a Black Magic Decklink card and a C++ API. A test 12G-SDI video signal was generated and looped back through the device under test that was then displayed on a monitor with data error detection.
- Engineered several 3D CAD chassis components for metal fabrication for product enclosures.
- Constructed all firmware, engineered most PCB hardware, and several mechanical components of a large 1024 input by 128 output composite analog video router, deployed by Los Angeles DOT to monitor traffic cameras throughout the city.
- Implemented an MRP/ERP system using Python-based Odoo (previously OpenERP) and customized for the company's manufacturing, purchasing, and sales operations.
- Developed an embedded Linux GUI for an award-winning HD Radio Exciter product, a central control daemon with custom protocol, and a Linux kernel driver interfacing with an FPGA in a Linux-based HD Radio Encoder companion product.
- Built a serial to an ethernet bridge product on an embedded system for bridging IP networks over a long-distance serial link.
- Created embedded firmware for a USB-controlled gambling machine button interface with RGB spectrum LEDs on an ARM-based microcontroller.
- Constructed a Linux daemon for a network gateway product for collecting gambling machine statistics wirelessly over Zigbee interfaces.
- Developed an embedded systems control interface for a medical laser and defined a text-based command protocol for it.
- Built the application firmware and Linux distribution for a 2-rack unit control panel with LCD for controlling video and audio routers.
Computer Programmer | Systems Analyst
Horizon Instructional Systems
- Deployed Internet and network services on Linux servers, including web, email, file sharing, and databases for this charter school, which was, at that time, the largest charter school in California.
- Implemented and maintained a Gmail email list server for organization-wide administrative communications.
- Developed interactive PHP web interfaces connected to SQL databases.
- Handled technical support calls from administration concerning Internet services.
- Developed 2D graphics routines in C for a medical patient-monitoring device.
- Optimized C graphics routines by directly accessing graphic card memory.
- Cleaned up and simplified C code written by other team members.
I am the creator and currently sole developer of this application and the Kymorphia Vector Instrument format.
I implemented custom Wagtail content types and a file download app that protects paid file downloads and tracks file download statistics. I am the sole developer of this website and deployed it on an Ubuntu Linux VPS using an Nginx web server and MySQL.
I am the creator of this project and the primary developer.
Matrix Switch Corporation Websitehttp://www.matrixswitchcorp.com
I was the sole creator of this website, graphics content, and product manuals. 3D product illustrations were created with Blender and Inkscape. This website also has a custom product-information import/export Python script to maintain the information on hundreds of products and export it for synchronization with third-party resellers.
I was one of the early developers and maintainers of this audio synthesis library. I contributed C code for loading SoundFont files that I had created for Swami and helped the original author create an API for utilizing this library in other applications.
Blitzer File Search
I am the sole creator and developer of this project.
KVMR Audio Archiver
GCC, GDB, KiCad, Odoo, GTK+, Apache, Inkscape, PCB Layout, CMake, GNU Make, Git, GNU Autoconf, Blender, FreeCAD, NGINX, SHOUTcast
Linux, ARM Linux, NVIDIA CUDA
MySQL, PostgreSQL, JSON, SQLite
gedit, ARM Embedded, Networking, TCP/IP, FreeRTOS, APIs, PCB Design, Real-time Operating System (RTOS), Embedded Systems, MCU, Embedded Hardware, Algorithms, Wagtail CMS, 2D Graphics, Device Drivers, Linux Device Driver, Icecast, Audio Streaming, Schematics, OpenCL/GPU, Qmail, GPU Computing
jQuery, Pthreads, REST APIs