Chief Technology Officer2011 - 2020Matrix Switch
- Developed 100% of the company software for a manufacturer of professional broadcast video and audio routing products. Engineered hardware on several products for schematic capture and PCB layout using KiCad.
- Created embedded systems firmware for video/audio routing products using Linux, FreeRTOS, and C main() (no operating system). Firmware was written in C and primarily on ARM-based microcontrollers. Ported FreeRTOS to custom STM32-based ARM controllers.
- Engineered PCB hardware and developed VHDL logic on a Xilinx FPGA for a 48x48 digital audio router utilized in sports stadiums throughout the USA.
- Engineered hardware for video crosspoint/controller and developed embedded FreeRTOS firmware for a 64x64 SDI digital video/audio router using a dense BGA component footprint.
- Developed and maintained the company Django website, including the Python logic and templates, graphics with Inkscape and Gimp, 3D product illustrations with Blender 3D, product manuals from a template system, and an advanced product search interface.
- Built an Android app for controlling video and audio routers over a TCP/IP port.
- Developed an SDI video/audio test application with a Black Magic Decklink card and a C++ API. A test 12G-SDI video signal was generated and looped back through the device under test that was then displayed on a monitor with data error detection.
- Engineered several 3D CAD chassis components for metal fabrication for product enclosures.
- Constructed all firmware, engineered most PCB hardware, and several mechanical components of a large 1024 input by 128 output composite analog video router, deployed by Los Angeles DOT to monitor traffic cameras throughout the city.
- Implemented an MRP/ERP system using Python-based Odoo (previously OpenERP) and customized for the company's manufacturing, purchasing, and sales operations.
Software Developer2003 - 2010SoftwareFlair, Inc.
Technologies: C, Linux, ARM Embedded, Networking, SQL, Python, GCC, GDB, ARM Linux, TCP/IP, GTK+, MySQL, GNU Make, XML, Device Drivers, Linux Device Driver, APIs
- Developed an embedded Linux GUI for an award-winning HD Radio Exciter product, a central control daemon with custom protocol, and a Linux kernel driver interfacing with an FPGA in a Linux-based HD Radio Encoder companion product.
- Built a serial to an ethernet bridge product on an embedded system for bridging IP networks over a long-distance serial link.
- Created embedded firmware for a USB-controlled gambling machine button interface with RGB spectrum LEDs on an ARM-based microcontroller.
- Constructed a Linux daemon for a network gateway product for collecting gambling machine statistics wirelessly over Zigbee interfaces.
- Developed an embedded systems control interface for a medical laser and defined a text-based command protocol for it.
- Built the application firmware and Linux distribution for a 2-rack unit control panel with LCD for controlling video and audio routers.
Computer Programmer | Systems Analyst1998 - 2001Horizon Instructional Systems
Technologies: Linux, Networking, Qmail, PHP, Apache, SQL
- Deployed Internet and network services on Linux servers, including web, email, file sharing, and databases for this charter school, which was, at that time, the largest charter school in California.
- Implemented and maintained a Gmail email list server for organization-wide administrative communications.
- Developed interactive PHP web interfaces connected to SQL databases.
- Handled technical support calls from administration concerning Internet services.
Software Developer1997 - 1998Sophrosyne Systems
Technologies: C, 2D Graphics
- Developed 2D graphics routines in C for a medical patient-monitoring device.
- Optimized C graphics routines by directly accessing graphic card memory.
- Cleaned up and simplified C code written by other team members.